CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Minerva
CeCe
Tony Marino
Shale
Alan Smithee
9 posters

Major opponent of gay marriage switches sides

Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Major opponent of gay marriage switches sides  Empty Major opponent of gay marriage switches sides

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:05 am

David Blankenhorn, a national figure in the movement against same-sex marriage, has recanted his opposition, saying “the time has come for me to accept gay marriage and emphasize the good that it can do.”

Mr. Blankenhorn, the founder and president of the Institute for American Values, wrote an influential book that argued against same-sex marriage in 2007, called “The Future of Marriage,” and served as an expert witness against the constitutional challenge to California’s Proposition 8, which limited marriage to heterosexuals.

On Friday, he said in an opinion article for The New York Times, published online, and in an interview on NPR that his concerns about same-sex marriage remained, but that “the time for denigrating or stigmatizing same-sex relationships is over.”

“I opposed gay marriage believing that children have the right, insofar as society makes it possible, to know and to be cared for by the two parents who brought them into this world,” he wrote in the article.

He said he still held that conviction. But he added, “Whatever one’s definition of marriage, legally recognizing gay and lesbian couples and their children is a victory for basic fairness.”

“He’s dead wrong,” said the Rev. Jim Garlow, senior pastor of Skyline Wesleyan Church in La Mesa, Calif. “I am a student of history. Christianity has made clear that marriage is between one man and one woman. And what we have seen is that when you change marriage for some, you change marriage for all.” yeah right
    The focus on same-sex marriage has grown rapidly in recent years, both legislatively and legally. Two requests for review of same-sex marriage rulings in federal courts, including the Proposition 8 case, are headed to the Supreme Court this summer.

Other cases are being argued in lower courts, and referendum initiatives will be on the ballots in November in four states — Maine, Maryland, Minnesota and Washington.

Last month, President Obama endorsed same-sex marriage after nearly two years of saying that his views on the topic had been evolving.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47930211/ns/us_news-the_new_york_times/
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Major opponent of gay marriage switches sides  Empty Re: Major opponent of gay marriage switches sides

Post by Shale Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:19 am

"... said Rev. Jim Garlow, senior pastor of Skyline Wesleyan Church in La Mesa, Calif. 'I am a student of history. Christianity has made clear that marriage is between one man and one woman. And what we have seen is that when you change marriage for some, you change marriage for all.'"

He is a student of history, yet he does not remember when marriage between blacks and whites in this country were illegal? He sees no correlation between the two issues? The bigots in '67 were quoting for god in that case as well.

"Christianity has made clear that marriage is between one man and one woman."
    Hey, student of history - this is not, nor has it ever been a 'christian nation.' Its secular premise has only been usurped by the christian majority over the past couple of centuries, and we who have been discriminated by this are trying to secure our rights as guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution.

That discrimination is what finally got rid of all the miscegenation laws and will be what gets rid of all these laws discriminating against ppl because of their gender being denied the right to marry.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Major opponent of gay marriage switches sides  Empty Re: Major opponent of gay marriage switches sides

Post by Tony Marino Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:51 am

Sigh...............
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:12 pm

I don't give a flying damn burrito what christianity makes clear. That ONLY applies to christians. I'm sure those same christians don't think what islamic law makes clear is a requirement for them either. These people face palm lol

It's good to see some of their "own" starting to recognize what's right, what's fair & what is inevitable.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:31 pm

CeCe wrote:...It's good to see some of their "own" starting to recognize what's right, what's fair & what is inevitable.
    It's always a possibility that he is coming clean before the pix of him kissing some dude in a pickup bar hits the Internet. blank stare @ you

It's happened before.
    big grin
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:26 pm

Shale wrote:
    It's always a possibility that he is coming clean before the pix of him kissing some dude in a pickup bar hits the Internet. blank stare @ you

It's happened before.
    big grin

Of course that's entirely plausible too lol
    Minerva
    Minerva
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 18

Post by Minerva Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:57 pm

A friend of mine told me about a guy she knows who is vehemently against same-sex marriage because it "destroys the sanctity of marriage."

This is a guy who has been having an affair with a married woman for the past two years. And he doesn't even see the hypocrisy in what he says and what he does.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:03 pm

Minerva wrote:A friend of mine told me about a guy she knows who is vehemently against same-sex marriage because it "destroys the sanctity of marriage."

This is a guy who has been having an affair with a married woman for the past two years. And he doesn't even see the hypocrisy in what he says and what he does.

And this is the thing that blows my mind about these people. Straight people, religious or not have no business talking about marriage being "sacred" when they've managed to trash & belittle it throughout its entire existence.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:09 pm

Minerva wrote:A friend of mine told me about a guy she knows who is vehemently against same-sex marriage because it "destroys the sanctity of marriage."

LMAO! "Do as I say, not as I do"?
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:50 am

Eh. Something about his change of heart seems kind of phony. Like that bad kid in class who suddenly becomes 'good,' while retaining their evil smirk.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:16 am

Chris wrote:Eh. Something about his change of heart seems kind of phony. Like that bad kid in class who suddenly becomes 'good,' while retaining their evil smirk.

I thought the same thing. I think he is already shopping a book deal touting his "amazing transformation in belief."
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:38 am

I guess.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:40 am

Chris wrote:Eh. Something about his change of heart seems kind of phony. Like that bad kid in class who suddenly becomes 'good,' while retaining their evil smirk.

Like the inmate on death row who finds God.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:49 am

Shale wrote:
    He is a student of history, yet he does not remember when marriage between blacks and whites in this country were illegal? He sees no correlation between the two issues? The bigots in '67 were quoting for god in that case as well.

"Christianity has made clear that marriage is between one man and one woman."
    Hey, student of history - this is not, nor has it ever been a 'christian nation.' Its secular premise has only been usurped by the christian majority over the past couple of centuries, and we who have been discriminated by this are trying to secure our rights as guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution.

That discrimination is what finally got rid of all the miscegenation laws and will be what gets rid of all these laws discriminating against ppl because of their gender being denied the right to marry.
    What he said. By the way Canada has same sex marriage and it hasn't hurt a thing. We don't give it a thought I guess because it hasn't hurt anything, there is no controversy no big deal.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 28, 2024 11:13 pm