CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
MandyPerfumeGirl
RobbieFTW
Forgiveness Man
Supernova
Chris
9 posters

Which decade produced the best films?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Which decade produced the best films? Empty Which decade produced the best films?

Post by Chris Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:08 am

From the silent film era of the 1920s to the 3D digital of today, which decade do you think produced the best films? I think it's a toss up between the 1950s and the 1990s.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Which decade produced the best films? Empty Re: Which decade produced the best films?

Post by Supernova Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:38 am

Ooooooh, now that's a tough one to answer, every decade (up till now anyway) had its perks.

20's, The Bat, The Phantom of the Opera, Metropolis, The Gold Rush, Sherlock Jr., Cops, Our Hospitality, The Cat and the Canary, Nosferatu, The Headless Horseman.
    30's, The Bat Whispers, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Mr. Deeds goes to Town, You Can't Take it With You, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Frankenstein, Dracula, The Mummy, Holiday, Bringing up Baby, All Quiet on the Western Front.
    40's, The Wolf Man, The Third Man, the Maltese Falcon, Double Indemnity, The Man who Came to Dinner, The Miracle of Morgan's Creek, Dumbo, Shadow of a Doubt, White Heat, The Ox-Bow Incident.
    50's, The Bat, House on Haunted Hill, The Blob, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Titanic, The Member of the Wedding, Invaders from Mars, Abbott and Costello Meet the Killer, Boris Karloff, The Tingler, Singin' in the Rain, Rear Window, The Trouble with Harry, The Thing From Another World, They Came from Outer Space, Tarantula, Them!, Blackboard Jungle, Rebel Without a Cause, Anatomy of a Murder, The Wild One, On the Waterfront, Suddenly, 12 Angry Men, Harvey.
    60's, The man who Shot Liberty Valance, The Hustler, Fail Safe, 13 Ghosts, Strait-Jacket, Homicidal, Mr. Sardonicus, Psycho, Fahrenheit 451, Easy Rider, Targets, Night of the Living Dead, Mary Poppins, That Darn Cat, The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, El Dorado, Cape Fear.
    70's, The Towering Inferno, The Poseidon Adventure, Earthquake, Jaws, The Stepford Wives, The Sugarland Express, Smokey and the Bandit, Harold and Maude, Soylent Green, The Godfather, Coffy, Foxy Brown, When a Stranger Calls, Godspell, And Justice For All, Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
    80's, Scarface, War Games, The Blob, Shag, Footloose, Ferris Bueller's Day off, The Legend of Billie Jean, The Burbs, Stand Alone, Summer School, Big Man on Campus, Beetlejuice, Return of the Living Dead, Nightmare on Elm Street, Ernest Goes to Camp, First Blood, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Real Genius, Revenge of the Nerds, The Great Outdoors, Space Balls, Ghostbusters, The Dream Team.
    90's, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead, Dennis the Menace, Night of the Living Dead, Good Burger, Volcano, Thelma & Louise, Crazy in Alabama, Fried Green Tomatoes, Matilda, Jurassic Park, Independence Day, Pump up the Volume, Small Soldiers, Ernest Goes to Jail, Double Dragons, Problem Child, Heavyweights, Bushwhacked, the Jerky Boys, Patch Adams.

Hmmmm, I see what you mean, but going by what I can remember at the moment, it would seem rather it's a toss up between the 50's and the 80's.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Which decade produced the best films? Empty Re: Which decade produced the best films?

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:58 am

I'm a fan of more modern movies. Razz
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:36 am

I like 1970s movies. The fashion, lingo, hairstyles, score, etc. Also like the more scrubbed/faded "film" look.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:30 pm

I would say either the '40's or '50's.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:02 pm

RobbieFTW wrote:I like 1970s movies. The fashion, lingo, hairstyles, score, etc. Also like the more scrubbed/faded "film" look.

70s and 80s.
    adamwarlock
    adamwarlock
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 0

Which decade produced the best films? Empty tough one

Post by adamwarlock Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:33 pm

Can't comment so well on the 1900s or 1910s but the 20s thru now are chock full of the good & bad. No decade is classic poor.

My own personal bias is for the 70s, somehow even a bad 70s movie is watchable because they were trying to break the old Hollywood mode or were some of the wackiest foreign films ever.

The 60s comes off weak for the US but is made up for on the international scene. The last 2 decades have produced lots of tripe IMO but even they have their moments. The 30s, 40s, 50s are the Golden Age, I think I like the 40s best of those although the early (pre-Code) 30s were excellent. cool dance
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:57 am

adamwarlock wrote:Can't comment so well on the 1900s or 1910s but the 20s thru now are chock full of the good & bad. No decade is classic poor.

My own personal bias is for the 70s, somehow even a bad 70s movie is watchable because they were trying to break the old Hollywood mode or were some of the wackiest foreign films ever.

The 60s comes off weak for the US but is made up for on the international scene. The last 2 decades have produced lots of tripe IMO but even they have their moments. The 30s, 40s, 50s are the Golden Age, I think I like the 40s best of those although the early (pre-Code) 30s were excellent. cool dance

I agree that 1970s movies were some of the best. They have this edgy, vintage, last of the "old school" production quality to them, but at the same time you can see modern film technology starting to permeate too.
    kelea7
    kelea7
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 0

Post by kelea7 Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:42 pm

This is a hard one, but I would have to say the 90s. This is the only decade where I think the acting (technique and ability), the quality, and everything else adds up to a great movie experience. Of course I enjoy films from the other decades and especially love seeing older films just for the historical value (history of film, not actual history). The current decade seems to have too much "Oscar bait" acting, which is fine and can sometimes turn out a great film, but not if it's too obvious.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:39 pm