CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Alan Smithee
Shale
CeCe
Forgiveness Man
captainbryce
Chris
10 posters

Is there danger in society becoming too liberal?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Question Is there danger in society becoming too liberal?

Post by Chris Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:01 am

Do you fear that society is becoming, or could someday become, too liberal in its overall attitudes? Do you think that a society that is overwhelming liberal would be more beneficial or detrimental?
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Question Re: Is there danger in society becoming too liberal?

Post by captainbryce Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:30 am

Chris wrote:Do you fear that society is becoming, or could someday become, too liberal in its overall attitudes? Do you think that a society that is overwhelming liberal would be more beneficial or detrimental?
    By society I assume you mean "American society" and I think it's safe to assume that the only person on any of these threads that might have such a phobia is Forgiveness Man. That in mind, I think this thread is as unfair to him as asking a member of the KKK if they think there is a danger of white people becoming extinct in America. (no offense to FM)

To answer the question: first one must define what "too liberal" or "overwhelmingly" liberal actually means. Its a very relative term and what Americans consider "very liberal" the Swedish probably consider moderately conservative. I'd have to have a specific example of what constitutes "overwhelming". I will say however that in a society as politically diverse as the US, moving towards a politically extreme position in either direction would be detrimental. America is for all intents and purposes a moderate country. Anymore conservative and we turn into the Christian equivalent of an Islamic/Taliban state and any more liberal and our society collapses from the ensuing civil war with conservatives in the country.

As a general rule, all societies generally progress towards the liberal side of the spectrum throughout their history. That's why liberals are called "progressives". The only difference is in how fast the move in that direction, and the more conservative a society is, the slower it progresses. The more conservative a society is, generally the more religious, xenophobic and class dependent it is. All of those things stifle development economically and socially. Conservatism is what kept the world in the dark ages for centuries and liberalism is what moved us into the renaissance.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:57 am

We're already there. lol We passed "way too liberal" a long time ago. Now we're being trained to accept left wing as center and normal. And of course it's detrimental. It's creeping into every aspect of society and trying to poison it.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:02 am

captainbryce wrote:

To answer the question: first one must define what "too liberal" or "overwhelmingly" liberal actually means. Its a very relative term and what Americans consider "very liberal" the Swedish probably consider moderately conservative. I'd have to have a specific example of what constitutes "overwhelming". I will say however that in a society as politically diverse as the US, moving towards a politically extreme position in either direction would be detrimental. America is for all intents and purposes a moderate country. Anymore conservative and we turn into the Christian equivalent of an Islamic/Taliban state and any more liberal and our society collapses from the ensuing civil war with conservatives in the country.

As a general rule, all societies generally progress towards the liberal side of the spectrum throughout their history. That's why liberals are called "progressives". The only difference is in how fast the move in that direction, and the more conservative a society is, the slower it progresses. The more conservative a society is, generally the more religious, xenophobic and class dependent it is. All of those things stifle development economically and socially. Conservatism is what kept the world in the dark ages for centuries and liberalism is what moved us into the renaissance.

co-signs
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:08 am

I agree with Capt Bryce whole post, but especially this key point:

"Conservatism is what kept the world in the dark ages for centuries and liberalism is what moved us into the renaissance."
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:11 am

Well said Cap'n
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:40 am

More beneficial than detrimental.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:29 pm

Yes. If society were to becomes too liberal, it could lose its boundaries and structure. Just like an all-or-mostly-conservative society would be bad, an all-or-mostly-liberal society wouldn't be much better. Society needs to be moderate overall....with some shit being tolerated and others not.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:29 pm

Marc™️ wrote:Yes. If society were to becomes too liberal, it could lose its boundaries and structure. Just like an all-or-mostly-conservative society would be bad, an all-or-mostly-liberal society wouldn't be much better. Society needs to be moderate overall....with some shit being tolerated and others not.

co-signs
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:14 pm

There are certain things that I am conservative on. I believe everyone should have equal rights, and everyone should enjoy the freedoms/happiness that allows. However, I do believe that there is a moral decay of our society that accepts that 50% of marriages fail. There is no concept of trying to fix the marriages and enduring life together-- its a "if it doesn't work, then let's split" kinda of attitude. While I do understand this for childless couples, I do not agree with this attitude for those with children. Marriage is supposed to be a lifelong commitment and yet we throw it away constantly. That is not to say that someone should HAVE to endure adultery, addiction, abuse--- however, I think too many people just go straight for divorce without really trying.

Too many broken homes and deadbeat parents (both male/female) have led to the custodial parent having to work constantly, which neglects the children by not providing sufficient time with the parent. Then when the children act up, we label them with ADD, ADHD, bipolar, and the newest one on the rise, schizophrenia (yes there was a documentary about the increasing rates) and we shove pills down the kid's throat. The parents then float from relationship to relationship, involving the children to meet new people and then get let down. What kinds of examples do with set for our kids? My sis and her husband were the only parents that were still married of ALL of their 3 children's friends. My sister is the only stay at home mom in her neighborhood, and when the kids get locked out of the house or scared, they go to her.

I remember once, there was a 15yr old boy left at home alone because his mother went to stay with her bf--- she left him $50 for food. The boy called my sis' house crying at 2am scared that someone was trying to break in. He wound up staying with my sis/bil for the next FIVE days--- his mother never once called--- and when she returned, she called my sister asking if she knew where he was cause she hadnt heard from him all week!!!

Are we too liberal??? yes-- when it comes to kids. If kids arent involved, screw who you want, go where you want, smoke/snort what you want---but if you are a parent, then freaking stand up and BE a parent!!! That was YOUR choice to be a parent-- not the child's. One boy was desperate for attention, and tried to commit suicide... was "bipolar" and on constant drugs-- he was 9yrs old. When his mother quit her job and stayed home with him-- he no longer needed to be on meds... coincidence? I think not. We as a society now go to work so that we can pay for child care to have someone else raise our children! What sense does that make???

ok... i'm off my soap box now.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:19 pm

Liberal does not mean irresponsible.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:26 pm

captainbryce wrote:I think it's safe to assume that the only person on any of these threads that might have such a phobia is Forgiveness Man. That in mind, I think this thread is as unfair to him as asking a member of the KKK if they think there is a danger of white people becoming extinct in America. (no offense to FM)

CaptainBryce.. you are the one who jumps on everyone for making generalizations... so I feel the need to point out that making assumptions is just wrong. Plus, putting "no offense to FM" does not make up for the fact that you put his name in the same sentence with the KKK.. what are you thinking?? That just sounds soo wrong.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:52 pm