CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Forgiveness Man
AtownPeep
Supernova
Chris
8 posters

Does education kill faith?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Religion Does education kill faith?

Post by Chris Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:32 pm

Do you think that the more educated someone is, the more likely they are to not place too much -- or any -- faith in religion?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Religion Re: Does education kill faith?

Post by Supernova Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:42 pm

You couldn't prove it by us because we all went to college and graduated and we're strong Christians...for me personally I wouldn't say GOOD Christian necessarily, but Christian nonetheless.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:18 pm

That's been an argument I heard, but I disagree with it. Education might temper BLIND faith but it shouldn't "kill" it.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:45 pm

True education won't kill faith. True education will likely enhance it. (Has for me.) The problem is that we've come to consider "school" and "education" to be synonymous, and they aren't. Most kids who are heavily "schooled" are not very well "educated" at all. They are snobby dopes who knows just enough to be very dumb. lol

Now, heavily schooled kids might have their faith killed since many schools have a direct aim to attack religion, especially Christianity. Some of my professors regularly went on anti-Christian rants that rarely had anything to do with the topic at hand, and rarely served any purpose other than to express views. Imagine that happening at younger ages. Schooled kids are more likely to become successfully indoctrinated, and that can kill faith. Many are still total idiots when it comes to even common knowledge things about history or the country, but they know they don't like religion.

So no, education will not kill faith. School might, because school's aim hasn't been to educate in a long time. But if a person is TRULY educated, their faith will come out, at the very least, intact. Alas, the number of people truly educated has gone way down and in place of educated students, we got a bunch of self-entitled, bitter sheep.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:13 pm

I'm a high school graduate and was an Atheist as a teen in HS, tempered to Agnostic and then I got into Eastern Filosofy - to which I still subscribe.

I think life experience can change one, whether increased academic education or just what you pick up as you age.

The operative word is 'faith' and has nothing to do with intelligence or education. Ppl derive at faith from some inner guide that does not always subscribe to evidence, physics or even realistic probability. I think a lot of what ppl believe is out of denial and ignorance, but that is just me. I still believe in Cosmic Consciousness, Prana, Sanskaras and Karma. And maybe a little Synchronicity.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:12 pm

When education proves that the world was not created in 6 days and humans and dinosaurs did not exist simultaneously and evolution is a proven scientific fast...it ain't doing faith any favors. You want to have faith in some unseen higher power? Go for it. Education, i.e. science hasn't done you any harm yet.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:32 pm

AtownPeep wrote:That's been an argument I heard, but I disagree with it. Education might temper BLIND faith but it shouldn't "kill" it.

Does education kill faith? 35166

And contrary to popular belief, the two can and does coexist.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:15 am

well... i like to think that i'm well educated... I read on an abundance of topics. however, I have seen some unexplained things occur. Several have happened when people died. I can tell you that they saw something, one saw her dead husband, one saw his dead wife, and one heard the singing and choir of church. Something strange happens upon death, and science cannot explain that

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:28 pm