CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+11
femme fatale
Rule Breaker
AtownPeep
CatEyes10736
Impact
RedBedroom
Nystyle709
Chris
Supernova
Marc™
Jason B.
15 posters

Eating together @ the dinner table.

Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Eating together @ the dinner table. Empty Eating together @ the dinner table.

Post by Jason B. Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:13 pm

When you were growing up, did your family eat dinner together? Mine did. We all got together around the kitchen table and ate. No TV. What's your opinion of this? If you have a family, do you do this now? If you don't have a family of your own, once you start one will you practice this ritual?
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Eating together @ the dinner table. Empty Re: Eating together @ the dinner table.

Post by Marc™ Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:34 pm

Nah. We weren't the Huxtables. We only did that eating together bit on Thankgiving, and even then we weren't hardcore with it. We tended to go our own separate ways during dinner time....half the time we didn't even eat at the same time. My mother would make dinner, leave it on the stove or in the oven, and when we were ready to eat, we'd serve ourselves.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Eating together @ the dinner table. Empty Re: Eating together @ the dinner table.

Post by Supernova Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:40 pm

For the most part yes. We'd usually eat in the dining room or all take our dinners into the living room and watch TV while we ate. We didn't usually turn the TV off though, even when we were in another room. And every morning we'd have breakfast together, especially Sunday...and my mom and I still eat together at the table about once or twice a week.

And when and if I ever have kids, I intend to do it the same way...except the TV will be off if we're at the table.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:48 pm

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. There was no real rule or ritual. It basically depended on how my mom felt that day. If she called us to alert that dinner was ready and we served ourselves, then we tended to fix our own plates and go our separate ways. Sometimes though, she would set up the dinner table, with places for everyone. During those moments we'd all park it.

Today when my sisters and I visit my parents, and have dinner at their house, we'll eat at the table. It's sort of formal, since it's not everyday that we eat under the same roof anymore. When my daughter is over my house, she and I don't necessarily eat at the same table together, but we are usually in the same vicinity. The kitchen is connected to the living room, so we'll watch TV while we eat.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:28 am

How old is your daughter, Chris?
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:40 am

Supernova wrote:How old is your daughter, Chris?

She'll be 13 in November.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:41 pm

Marc wrote:Nah. We weren't the Huxtables. We only did that eating together bit on Thankgiving, and even then we weren't hardcore with it. We tended to go our own separate ways during dinner time....half the time we didn't even eat at the same time. My mother would make dinner, leave it on the stove or in the oven, and when we were ready to eat, we'd serve ourselves.
    +1. Now, when my mother made dinner when we were kids, she would make me and my brother sit together at the table and eat but that was just about the extent of it. Honestly though, I think it's a pretty nice thing to do with your family even though I didn't grow up with that. I would prob. make it a habit to have dinner around the table with my own husband and kids when I get them.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:49 am

I think most of the time, we did eat at the same time at home, when I was home. I was home at a set time before I got older and got busy with activities. I recall in elem. and jr. high, we ate right around the time I got home.

Here, we are just awful about eating. I hope my son's future wife sets a better tone for their family. The man of the house works such random hours all the time, it is next to impossible to set anyting by him. I serve healthy meals, but we do not eat all at the same time.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:45 am

It was rare that we ate together when I was growing up, but my family isn't particularly "close" so. When I was married, my wife and I tried to do the family table thing early on but it didn't last/
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:30 am

We did but it wasn't that great an experience.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:22 am

My family mixes it up. We sometimes eat together and sometimes don't. Basically it's like what Chris said (depending on what mama wants that day). Sometimes she wants "togetherness" and other times she just cooks to get us out her hair.
    Rule Breaker
    Rule Breaker
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 0

Post by Rule Breaker Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:35 am

We ate at the table but the TV was always on.
    femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Post by femme fatale Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:51 am

Very rarely. For the most part my family only ate at the same table when we'd go out to a restaurant.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:59 am

when we could, though it was at the kitchen counter, not the dining room table. Wink Some of our meals were eaten on the road, as my dad was a coach and we travelled with the team on weekends. He was also a vice principal for many of my childhood years, and sometime he had meetings that went into the super hour or would keep him at the school until late at night. Most times, though, we ate with my Mom. I think as we got into our later teen years, though. my brother and I were racing off to different activities, so it got tougher to eat together, but we still managed several meals together a week.

We didn't have a TV in the dining room. It was usually a time for us to catch up on our days and whatnot - vent about things, share stories.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:09 am

We usually did.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:24 am

We all ate at the dinner table together and god forbid if you were late! No tv, mostly silence until you were finished.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:08 am

^^^^Silence? You couldn't talk to each other about your day?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:30 am

Forgiveness_Man wrote:^^^^Silence? You couldn't talk to each other about your day?

Nope, with so many kids in the family if we talked about anything we usually ended up in a brawl and then we would feel my father's wrath and we were terrified of him.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:46 am

^^^^Almost defeats the purpose of eating together if there's no communication between the family.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:03 pm

Indeeeed.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:36 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:^^^^Almost defeats the purpose of eating together if there's no communication between the family.

Yeah wasn't the most pleasant atmosphere. If my Father was not present then we would talk at the table, my Mom was not so strict.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:27 pm

My dad demanded it at his house. My mom was 50/50 with it. Sometimes she would make us eat at the table and other times we were free to eat where we wanted.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:40 pm

Tony Marino wrote:

Yeah wasn't the most pleasant atmosphere. If my Father was not present then we would talk at the table, my Mom was not so strict.
    AH, I see.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 1:09 am