CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
AtownPeep
Marc™
RedBedroom
Tony Marino
Forgiveness Man
Chris
10 posters

Straight couples that don't marry in solidarity to same sex couples

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Straight couples that don't marry in solidarity to same sex couples Empty Straight couples that don't marry in solidarity to same sex couples

Post by Chris Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:06 pm

What do you think of straight couples who say that they won't marry unless/until same sex couples are allowed marriage rights as well. Do you think this is an earnest way of showing support, or do you find it at all disingenuous?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Straight couples that don't marry in solidarity to same sex couples Empty Re: Straight couples that don't marry in solidarity to same sex couples

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:08 pm

It's an attention ploy, or a good excuse to mask other reasons for delaying marriage. lol If anything, I think it hurts the cause anyway. lol

Last edited by Forgiveness Man on Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Straight couples that don't marry in solidarity to same sex couples Empty Re: Straight couples that don't marry in solidarity to same sex couples

Post by Tony Marino Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:08 pm

I think its pretty cool, ridiculous but cool.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:12 pm

I have a suspicion many who don't want to marry anyway may just say it because they can. Celebs who say it, disingenuous or not, are doing a good thing because support for same sex marriage can use all the news coverage it can get.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:15 pm

They just don't wanna get married IMO. I question the sincerity of anybody martyring themselves over an issue that doesn't directly affect them. It's not like a straight couple refusing to marry will speed up the process for gays being able to.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:32 pm

I have never known anybody whose felt that way. Only celebrity couples looking to dodge the question and get cool points at the same time from what I've seen make that kind of stance. (Brad and Angelina, I'm looking at you!) Personally I think it's ridiculous like Tony said. The court system's not gonna change the laws any faster just so straight supporters of gay marriage can tie the knot. They'll all just be unmarried.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:32 pm

AtownPeep wrote:I have never known anybody whose felt that way. Only celebrity couples looking to dodge the question and get cool points at the same time from what I've seen make that kind of stance. (Brad and Angelina, I'm looking at you!) Personally I think it's ridiculous like Tony said. The court system's not gonna change the laws any faster just so straight supporters of gay marriage can tie the knot. They'll all just be unmarried.

They
    just don't wanna get married IMO. I question the sincerity of anybody
    martyring themselves over an issue that doesn't directly affect them.
    It's not like a straight couple refusing to marry will speed up the
    process for gays being able to.
    Straight couples that don't marry in solidarity to same sex couples 35166
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:40 pm

Perhaps it is a sincere personal matter of conscience. Some ppl go on protest marches (or at least in my youth they did - and the Occupy movement is the first time I've seen that in a while) So, it is passive resistance of a sort and an educational tool for those in your immediate sphere.

I made such a vow myself - that if I ever get into another relationship I will not enjoy the discriminatory rights of legal marriage until all ppl can.

Sure, it won't do much for the big picture, like a little drop of water won't make a flood - but maybe with enuf drops ...

Sorta like me drinking out of that 'colored' fountain in Mississippi in the '50s. It didn't really accomplish much but was the thot that counts. Made me feel better.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:41 pm

Sorry. I don't put much stock in it. Yeah, some may be sincere but if they want to make a difference towards marriage equality maybe they should be more involved politically instead of boycotting their own wedding.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:48 pm

I think it shows good will more than trying to move hands of justice.

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 11:53 pm