CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

2 posters

H.P. Lovecraft

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

H.P. Lovecraft Empty H.P. Lovecraft

Post by Supernova Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:19 pm

Ever read any of his work?

I got a collection of his stories on loan from the library and read The Call of Cthulhu yesterday, and it's a good story but I don't get what the big appeal of it is or why exactly it's supposed to be so great.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

H.P. Lovecraft Empty Re: H.P. Lovecraft

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:02 pm

Come to think of it, I can't remember reading anything by him. His influence is undeniable though. Have you ever read anything by Robert Block? I heartily recommend him. I wouldn't be surprised if you know him (he wrote Psycho). My favorite thing by him is a short story called That Hellbound Train. I think it's in here if your library carries this
    H.P. Lovecraft 51wHJCh2HsL._SL500_AA300_

Last edited by Alan Smithee on Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:10 pm

That reminds me too. Have you ever read "A Night in the Lonesome October"?

A Night in the Lonesome October is a satirical novel by Roger Zelazny published in 1993, near the end of his life. It was his last book.

The book is divided in 32 chapters, each representing one "night" in the month of October (plus one "introductory" chapter). The story is told in the first-person, akin to journal entries. Throughout, 33 full-page illustrations by Gahan Wilson (one per chapter, plus one on the inside back cover) punctuate a tale heavily influenced by H. P. Lovecraft. The title is a line from Edgar Allan Poe's Ulalume and Zelazny thanks him as well as others – Mary Shelly, Bram Stoker, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Robert Bloch and Albert Payson Terhune – whose most famous characters appear in the book.

A Night in the Lonesome October is narrated from the present-tense point-of-view of Snuff, the dog who is Jack the Ripper's companion. The bulk of the story takes place in London and its environs, though at one point the story detours through the dream-world described by Lovecraft in The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath. Though never explicitly stated, various contextual clues within the story (the most obvious of which being the appearance of Sherlock Holmes (or "The Great Detective") imply that it takes place during the late Victorian period (in actuality, the year 1887 based upon Halloween full moon appearance dates[2] for the London area as confirmed by the Royal Observatory).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Night_in_the_Lonesome_October
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:14 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:Come to think of it, I can't remember reading anything by him. His influence is undeniable though. Have you ever read anything by Robert Block? I heartily recommend him.

I've read Psycho and Pyscho II. I have Lori but haven't read it yet.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:14 pm