CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

3 posters

Ride on Time WTF??? Who is that Chick?

Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Ride on Time  WTF??? Who is that Chick? Empty Ride on Time WTF??? Who is that Chick?

Post by Tony Marino Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:32 pm

Loleatta Holloway was sampled vocals in this song who is that wild looking chick in the video wishing she could sing like Loleatta?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Ride on Time  WTF??? Who is that Chick? Empty Re: Ride on Time WTF??? Who is that Chick?

Post by Chris Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:56 am

That's Blackbox. I had that tape when I was a kid. They were another C&C Music Factory; with Martha Wash providing most of their principal vocals - except they never credited her for them, and instead placed a skinny model in front who lip synced to her voice.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Ride on Time  WTF??? Who is that Chick? Empty Re: Ride on Time WTF??? Who is that Chick?

Post by Nhaiyel Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:19 pm

Chris wrote:That's Blackbox. I had that tape when I was a kid. They were another C&C Music Factory; with Martha Wash providing most of their principal vocals - except they never credited her for them, and instead placed a skinny model in front who lip synced to her voice.

She sued both Black Box and C+C Music Factory, and won too. And this was smack dab during the same period when Milli Vanilli were revealed as frauds, so her accusations against BB and C+C resonated. Because of Wash's refusing to go uncredited for her work, it became mandatory for session singers to be credited from that point on, and she was awarded a record deal with BB's label as part of outcome.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:46 am

Nhaiyel wrote:
    Chris wrote:That's Blackbox. I had that tape when I was a kid. They were another C&C Music Factory; with Martha Wash providing most of their principal vocals - except they never credited her for them, and instead placed a skinny model in front who lip synced to her voice.

She sued both Black Box and C+C Music Factory, and won too. And this was smack dab during the same period when Milli Vanilli were revealed as frauds, so her accusations against BB and C+C resonated. Because of Wash's refusing to go uncredited for her work, it became mandatory for session singers to be credited from that point on, and she was awarded a record deal with BB's label as part of outcome.

Blackbox did Martha Wash terribly. They didn't acknowledge her at all, and tried to act like their non-singing front woman/model was actually the one singing her parts. Here are some examples of:

With C&C, it was more a situation of not giving full credit where it was due. Unlike BB, they gave Wash a lesser credit -- as a background singer; which wasn't true because she actually sang lead on several of their songs, including "Gonna Make You Sweat," which was their signature hit.

Zelma Davis lip synced to Wash's vocals in the video. However, Davis could actually sing herself and provided real vocals to a number of their hits -- just not that one. I think Wash's nerves were so raw over the Blackbox situation that she went ahead and filed suit against C&C too. In the end, I think the lawsuit with C&C was settled, and they later invited her to join the group. She and Zelma Davis both shared vocals on 1994s "Do You Wanna Get Funky."

Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:40 pm

Nhaiyel wrote:

Good for her I am glad she won. Martha has a tremendous voice and I am glad she got a record deal out of it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:03 am