CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

3 posters

The U.S. Supreme Court and DNA

Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

The U.S. Supreme Court and DNA Empty The U.S. Supreme Court and DNA

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:11 pm

Early next year, the court is supposed to hear a case on the constitutionality of letting police departments collect DNA samples from people they arrest although I don't know if that's for all crimes. For example, presently NJ allows DNA collection for people convicted of all crimes that carry a prison sentence of six months or more and people arrested for serious crimes like murder and sexual offenses.

On a gut level, my libertarian sensibilities says this seems like something they would do in a totalitarian state but taking fingerprints has long been an accepted tool of law enforcement and the simple swabbing of the inside of your cheek is a lot less intrusive than a full body cavity search. Keeping in mind that DNA evidence has successfully gotten innocent people out of prison and off of death row, is this a necessary tool to keep the law abiding safe form criminals or another erosion of our right to privacy? Thoughts?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

The U.S. Supreme Court and DNA Empty Re: The U.S. Supreme Court and DNA

Post by Supernova Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:20 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:Early next year, the court is supposed to hear a case on the constitutionality of letting police departments collect DNA samples from people they arrest although I don't know if that's for all crimes. For example, presently NJ allows DNA collection for people convicted of all crimes that carry a prison sentence of six months or more and people arrested for serious crimes like murder and sexual offenses.

On a gut level, my libertarian sensibilities says this seems like something they would do in a totalitarian state but taking fingerprints has long been an accepted tool of law enforcement and the simple swabbing of the inside of your cheek is a lot less intrusive than a full body cavity search. Keeping in mind that DNA evidence has successfully gotten innocent people out of prison and off of death row, is this a necessary tool to keep the law abiding safe form criminals or another erosion of our right to privacy? Thoughts?

I think only if they're involved in violent crimes should it be taken, since after all DNA is usually only used to clear people OF violent crimes like rape and murder.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:48 pm

Supernova wrote:I think only if they're involved in violent crimes should it be taken, since after all DNA is usually only used to clear people OF violent crimes like rape and murder.
    co-signs

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 9:41 pm