CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Tony Marino
Shale
Alan Smithee
Forgiveness Man
Chris
9 posters

Criminal charges for social media comments that are harassing or threatening?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Criminal charges for social media comments that are harassing or threatening? Empty Criminal charges for social media comments that are harassing or threatening?

Post by Chris Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:29 am

Do you think that harassment and assault comments on social media sites are worthy of the perpetrator facing criminal charges?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Criminal charges for social media comments that are harassing or threatening? Empty Re: Criminal charges for social media comments that are harassing or threatening?

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:33 am

It'd have to be really extreme because in our touchy-feely culture, saying that a particular politician sucks could be viewed as threatening.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Criminal charges for social media comments that are harassing or threatening? Empty Re: Criminal charges for social media comments that are harassing or threatening?

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:42 am

Chris wrote:Do you think that harassment and assault comments on social media sites are worthy of the perpetrator facing criminal charges?

Possibly. If someone can be prosecuted for saying something threatening, why not for writing it? If you're that stupid to virtually say it to the world instead of one person, you kind of deserve what you get.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:43 am

Alan Smithee wrote:Possibly. If someone can be prosecuted for saying something threatening, why not for writing it? If you're that stupid to virtually say it to the world instead of one person, you kind of deserve what you get.
    co-signs
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:40 pm

Absolutely.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:20 pm

It's a crime of prevention, they don't know if there is any intent to back up what is said, and let's face it, as many stupid comments are going around in cyber space, about 90% of the world ought to be arrested. I can't count how many times I had people PM me saying they were going to cut my stomach to ribbons, rape me, etc. and did anything happen? No. Would I have called the police if they kept up? No, why? Because I never believed there was any merit to any of them.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:32 pm

Depends on how extreme the harassment is. If someone goes out of their way to block the person who is harassing them, while that person goes out of their way to continue to do it under other names, locations, IP addresses and so forth, then perhaps. But it would need to be something that blatant. Just someone being an asshole in their comments isn't enough for charges, IMO.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:38 pm

Chris wrote:Do you think that harassment and assault comments on social media sites are worthy of the perpetrator facing criminal charges?

Nah. It would have to depend, but in general, no. You can always turn off the computer. I call Facebook the devil a lot, and it is, because social media has really made this society and our culture fucking stupid for the most part. It's like all common sense goes out of the window when people exert all of their time and energy online. People don't think anymore.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:12 pm

No. Just block them. Harassing somebody in their personal email is the only time I could see going that route.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:57 pm