CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
CatEyes10736
Tony Marino
Alan Smithee
Forgiveness Man
Shale
CeCe
Chris
11 posters

If gay marriage is legalized throughout the land, do you think the debate will drag on?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Question If gay marriage is legalized throughout the land, do you think the debate will drag on?

Post by Chris Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:15 am

If same sex marriage becomes the law of the land, do you think that the debate over it will die down and people will move on; or do you predict that the argument against it will drag on for decades, the same way that the issue of abortion has?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Question Re: If gay marriage is legalized throughout the land, do you think the debate will drag on?

Post by CeCe Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:57 am

I think for the most part when sensibility kicks in & people see the supposed "threat" was absurd they'll get over it. But there will always be the lunatic fringe.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Question Re: If gay marriage is legalized throughout the land, do you think the debate will drag on?

Post by Shale Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:11 am

CeCe wrote:I think for the most part when sensibility kicks in & people see the supposed "threat" was absurd they'll get over it. But there will always be the lunatic fringe.
    co-signs

I like to mention that in 15 states, until a Supreme Court decision in 1967 allowed it, interracial marriage was illegal. Having been in an interracial marriage in the '80s & '90s in two of those states, I have encountered the lunatic fringe who were still against it, tho definitely a minority in the 3 cities in which I lived, New Orleans, Miami and Gainesville (a college town).

I'm sure the disdain for same-gender marriage will travel the same route and it will likely be the U.S. Supreme Court tasked with ensuring equality in all the United States.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:30 am

Simple answer: Yes. Because gay marriage itself isn't the ultimate goal.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:33 am

Forgiveness Man wrote:Simple answer: Yes. Because gay marriage itself isn't the ultimate goal.

What is the ultimate goal?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:52 am

Alan Smithee wrote:

What is the ultimate goal?

I was hoping someone would ask.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:38 pm

CeCe wrote:I think for the most part when sensibility kicks in & people see the supposed "threat" was absurd they'll get over it. But there will always be the lunatic fringe.

co-signs
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:26 pm

I think there will always be people who will disagree with it, but things like the legalization of same sex marriage and marijuana I don't think have the same emotional conflict that abortion does. As soon as they are legalized, people will see that the sky didn't fall and that no one's life is at all hindered by it and will move on.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:34 pm

There will always be people against it, but I don't think gay marriage has the same "stigma" as abortion, so no.....it won't be as hot button an issue as abortion. IMO, it really isn't now.
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by JM130ELM Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:36 am

Much like today, once it's legalized it'll become a non-issue except for in the churches.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:19 pm

Shrugs (Oh well…)

Beats me.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:13 am

idk... i think that for some people it is as emotional as aboriton because of the religious aspect. you will probably seem more bible thumpers around screaming about how the world is coming to an end because of the nation becoming a sodom and gomorahh.. and that the end is coming soon. in that respect, u would think that those devouts christians would want it legalized just to prompt the raputre/armageddeon or whatever the hell else they believe

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:40 am