CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Alan Smithee
Hyacinth Girl
Tony Marino
Shale
RedBedroom
9 posters

Should house party hosts be held responsible for how much their guests drink?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Should house party hosts be held responsible for how much their guests drink? Empty Should house party hosts be held responsible for how much their guests drink?

Post by RedBedroom Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:55 pm

In another thread we spoke about bartenders' liability for "over the limit" patrons.

Should someone hosting a party be held liable should one of their guests drink too much then injure someone in a vehicle on their way home?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Should house party hosts be held responsible for how much their guests drink? Empty Re: Should house party hosts be held responsible for how much their guests drink?

Post by Shale Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:05 am

Why not hold the drunk responsible?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Should house party hosts be held responsible for how much their guests drink? Empty Re: Should house party hosts be held responsible for how much their guests drink?

Post by Tony Marino Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:21 pm

I don't see why they should be responsible, I agree with Shale, let them be responsible. If the house party host happens to see they have had too much to drink then the host should probably intervene and not let that person drive.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:24 pm

I didn't have my glasses on when I read the title of this thread, and thought that "Party Hosts" was "Panty Hose", and started saying "what the. . . ."

LOL

big grin
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:30 pm

Laws vary by state. It can be a complicated situation but under certain circumstances I don't have a problem in holding a social host responsible along with their drunk guest (not instead of) for injury/damage to a third party.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:26 pm

Hyacinth Girl wrote:I didn't have my glasses on when I read the title of this thread, and thought that "Party Hosts" was "Panty Hose", and started saying "what the. . . ."

LOL

big grin

LMAO!
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:Laws vary by state. It can be a complicated situation but under certain circumstances I don't have a problem in holding a social host responsible along with their drunk guest (not instead of) for injury/damage to a third party.

I agree. I do think that the hosts should be held accountable to a degree, since they can considered the enabler, or instigator. In Michigan, if a drunk driver leaves your alcohol served party and causes a car accident as a result of their drinking, the host is liable.
    FireIce918
    FireIce918
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by FireIce918 Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:18 pm

That's kinda tough. If I see someone going over the limit, I'll kick them out before they can hurl all over my house. But I'll at least tell someone to look after them lol.

My thing is this--if you KNOW you have an alcohol problem or tend to drink too much, that's on YOU. The most I'll do is hide your keys, but the party won't stop for YOUR demons, and I'm not going to babysit them, either. Most likely, I would issue a general disclaimer to everyone coming that they are to party responsibly--and those who have proven they can't won't be invited to begin with.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:49 pm

RedBedroom wrote:In another thread we spoke about bartenders' liability for "over the limit" patrons.

Should someone hosting a party be held liable should one of their guests drink too much then injure someone in a vehicle on their way home?

In general.....no. A bar or a club isn't responsible for their patrons so why should a host at their own house party be?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:38 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:

In general.....no. A bar or a club isn't responsible for their patrons so why should a host at their own house party be?

Yeah can be. Under dram shop laws, if they serve people who are visibly intoxicated they can be held liable by someone who the drunk goes out and injures or kills. Property damage too. Not all states have them but NY does for example.

Last edited by Alan Smithee on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:40 pm

We actually stopped inviting a certain family to our parties because they would both get drunk and then drive home with the kids. That happened twice and won't happen again.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:31 pm

When I worked at a gas station and I sold alcohol to someone who was intoxicated, and they end up in a accident, I could be held liable.

Sucks and I don't agree with it.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:03 am

Cheaps wrote:When I worked at a gas station and I sold alcohol to someone who was intoxicated, and they end up in a accident, I could be held liable.

Sucks and I don't agree with it.

Wow. I did not know that held true for stores and gas stations. That is messed up. How can you determine intoxication when they are just buying at a gas station...

Kind of off topic, but tonight at 6:50, we were at the gas station for Jay to buy beer. There was a county cop in there. It felt so funny to be buying beer in front of a cop like that. I just felt like I should tell him we are going to a place within walking distance of where we were going to drink the beer!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 12:12 am