CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Tony Marino
CeCe
Shale
Nystyle709
Chris
9 posters

Do you have the right to demand that your neighbors maintain their home?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Do you have the right to demand that your neighbors maintain their home? Empty Do you have the right to demand that your neighbors maintain their home?

Post by Chris Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:46 am

Do you feel you have the right to ask/expect/demand that your neighbors keep their home and lawn maintained in order to keep the overall neighborhood looking up to a certain level? If they refuse, do you feel that the neighborhood has the right to take action?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Do you have the right to demand that your neighbors maintain their home? Empty Re: Do you have the right to demand that your neighbors maintain their home?

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:48 am

Not unless you move into a community that has that rule as a condition of living there. Other than that...no. that's not your property.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Do you have the right to demand that your neighbors maintain their home? Empty Re: Do you have the right to demand that your neighbors maintain their home?

Post by Shale Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:51 am

To a degree and there are municipal codes that are set up to maintain this. Some cities like a few here in South Florida go to extremes (can't park a pickup truck on the street) but most are to keep the place from looking abandoned or trashy.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:24 am

Nystyle709 wrote:Not unless you move into a community that has that rule as a condition of living there. Other than that...no. that's not your property.

co-signs
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:11 pm

Yes I feel I have the right to complain and yes I have the right to take action. Having grass and weeds overgrown draws mosquitos and other bugs. You have to be a homeowner to understand when you work hard to keep your property maintained you don't want a sloppy neighbor living next door to you.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:49 pm

I expect them to follow the rules and laws of the area.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:55 am

Have the "right"? I can understand a homeowner complaining or taking some kind of action in an extreme case such as where their neighbors keep their property looking like an abandoned crack house or used car lot and it drives down property values but otherwise, no.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:41 pm

I think it's an unspoken common courtesy that should be in place everywhere, not just gated communities, that people should take a little pride in their property and keep it up. Some don't realize (or don't care...) that they're the talk of the neighborhood for having a pigsty. A few years back, the people living right next to me, moved out, but left the teenage sons living there to complete high school. (not a good idea, and I was calling the police every weekend to break up the parties.) So of course, the property was not maintained and the grass was at least 2 feet high, and since the father in the situation was a realtor, I went on his webpage and left him a curt message that since he is a realtor and has his own for sale sign on his lawn, he should know without being told that curb appeal is most of what sells a house, so he might want to mow his grass, since it was spilling weeds into my yard. The lawn got mowed the next day. Loser.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:11 pm

They sure do, and if said neighbor refuses to tidy up then they can go over their heads and file a complaint with the city, who will then make them tidy up and impose fines. As a homeowner I shouldn't have to live next to, or across from, someone whose yard was a constant eyesore because they decided to turn it into a junk-heap, or because are too lazy to mow their lawn. If you can't be a decent neighbor, then move to a secluded country side where yours is the only property for miles.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:57 pm