CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

Former New York City Mayor Ed Koch dead at age 88

Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

News Former New York City Mayor Ed Koch dead at age 88

Post by Tony Marino Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:30 pm

RIP Ed you were a great mayor and performed Miracles for New York City

Former Mayor Ed Koch died early this morning. He was 88.

Koch had been in and out of the hospital in recent months, and was admitted Monday at New York Presbyterian Medical Center.

“Earlier today, New York City lost an irrepressible icon, our most charismatic cheerleader and champion, Edward I. Koch," Mayor Bloomberg said in a statement released this morning. "He was a great mayor, a great man and a great friend. In elected office and as a private citizen, he was our most tireless, fearless and guileless civic crusader. Through his tough, determined leadership and responsible fiscal stewardship, Ed helped lift the city out of its darkest days and set it on course for an incredible comeback. We will miss him dearly, but his good works – and his wit and wisdom – will forever be a part of the city he loved so much. His spirit will live on not only here at City Hall, and not only on the bridge the bears his name, but all across the five boroughs.

“I’m expressing my condolences on behalf of all 8.4 million New Yorkers, and I know so many of them will be keeping Mayor Koch and his family and friends in their thoughts prayers. As we mourn Mayor Koch’s passing, the flags at all City buildings will be flying at half-staff in his memory.”

He was moved to intensive care yesterday as his condition worsened.

Koch – who served as mayor from 1978 to 1989 – died at about 2 a.m. today, sources said.

George Arzt, Koch's spokesman, said the former mayor lost consciousness soon after entering the ICU.

Arzt said he'd always recall Koch's sense of humor.

"Most people didn't know how funny he was," said Arzt.

Koch, who had become a movie reviewer after leaving City Hall, responded, "Just don't tell me what the plot is."

Arzt also told the story of how awed he was upon joining Koch as his press secretary.

"I got into the car and said I couldn't believe how a kid who grew up in Williamsburg was now sitting next to the mayor," Arzt said.

"Oh shut, up," he recalled Koch telling him. "Everybody comes from somewhere."

Sen. Charles Schumer says Ed Koch lived and breathed New York City with "every atom in his body."

Schumer said Friday that the former mayor helped save New York City and gave it confidence when it was beginning to doubt itself.

Gov. Cuomo said in a statement today, "With the passing of Ed Koch, New York has lost one of our most admired public leaders. Ed Koch embodied the highest ideals of public service and his life was dedicated toward making New York - the city and our state - a better place for all. From his days on the front lines of World War II, his time in Congress, to his leadership as Mayor guiding New York City through difficult years, Ed Koch never strayed from his unwavering commitment to serving others.

"No New Yorker has - or likely ever will - voice their love for New York City in such a passionate and outspoken manner than Ed Koch. New York City would not be the place it is today without Ed Koch's leadership over three terms at City Hall. Mr. Mayor was never one to shy away from taking a stand that he believed was right, no matter what the polls said or what was politically correct.

"Many times in my life I have turned to Ed Koch for his advice and guidance. Just yesterday I spoke with the Mayor to wish him courage and strength, and let him know he was on all of our thoughts and prayers. I will miss his friendship, and we will all miss his perpetual optimism and tireless commitment to continually striving to improve our city, state, nation and world. On behalf of all New Yorkers, I send my condolences to his family and friends."

The three-term mayor and former congressman was first elected to City Hall in 1977. Since leaving elected office, he has worked as a lawyer and remained an active presence on the city’s political scene. He also appeared as the judge on the TV show “The People’s Court” for two years.

“All New York City mourns the passing of Mayor Koch whose wisdom, good humor and fierce determination guided us through a most difficult period in the city’s history. Communities across the city experienced a renaissance as a result of his commitment to neighborhoods and affordable housing development," said, Kathryn Wylde, the President & CEO of the Partnership for New York City.

The larger-than-life Koch, who breezed through the streets of New York flashing his signature thumbs-up sign, won a national reputation with his feisty style. "How'm I doing?" was his trademark question to constituents, although the answer mattered little to Koch. The mayor always thought he was doing wonderfully.

Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz said of Koch, "Mayor Koch lived with his family in Brooklyn as a young man, and I have no doubt it’s where he got the Brooklyn attitude, swagger and “chutzpah” that made him such a character and helped him navigate New York City through some of its most challenging times."

Markowitz said the boroughs flag would be lowered "in remembrance of this one-of-a-kind New York icon."

A new documentary about Koch’s career premiered at the Museum of Modern Art on Tuesday. He had been expected to attend before falling ill, his spokesman said.

Bald and bombastic, paunchy and pretentious, the city's 105th mayor was quick with a friendly quip and equally fast with a cutting remark for his political enemies.

"You punch me, I punch back," Koch once memorably observed. "I do not believe it's good for one's self-respect to be a punching bag."

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/former_mayor_ed_koch_dead_at_age_75lqLcuapohQ9JC6ILAXrL

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 8:34 am