CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
Marc™
RedBedroom
Chris
November Avenue
TSJFan4Ever
Forgiveness Man
Kral
11 posters

The Dangerous Cellphone Debate

Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

The Dangerous Cellphone Debate Empty The Dangerous Cellphone Debate

Post by Kral Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:21 pm

I'm a bit tired of hearing about the dangers of cellphones. I'm well aware of the destruction that texting, while not paying attention, has caused…but it still seems very silly to me that people are treating phones like they are as deadly as loaded guns.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

The Dangerous Cellphone Debate Empty Re: The Dangerous Cellphone Debate

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:24 pm

I think cell phones are fine(if overrated); it's the people that are dangerous! Smile
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:29 pm

Are you referring to the concern for radiation, or just to the fact that everyone is going on and on about how you shouldn't talk and text while driving and so forth?

I had this one co-worker who hypocritically decried the use of cell phones and yet when we worked shifts together, she was always asking to use my phone to make calls to our boss when we were out with our clients - changes of plans, that we were going to be a bit late, and so forth. She'd go on and on about the dangers, and yet she kept wanting to borrow mine. Finally got to the point of "leaving" my cell phone behind and letting her find a pay phone but this girl was a total twit, anyway - a hypocrite on many levels - had some pretty high and mighty ideas about things. She bashed the school system and went on and on about how horrible it was and how homeschool was much better, but then turned around and put her daughter in school in grade 6. As my aunt would say, she's a few barrels short of a full load.

If you're meaning how everyone is going on about the dangers of talking and texting while driving - it's banned where I live and has been since around Christmas. People still do it, but if you're caught, you're fined, so it's not a huge issue anymore. I do get sick of Oprah going on about it in the last few minutes of her show, as I usually turn on the TV to watch the news and catch the last couple of minutes. I keep wanting to write to her and say that we're one step ahead of her where I live.
    November Avenue
    November Avenue
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 2

Post by November Avenue Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:33 pm

To me it's stupid too. There's nothing "dangerous" about a cellphone. It's not the fault of technology that you have a bunch of morons out there who get so immersed in their dippy little text messages that they don't see 18-wheeler in front of them.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:55 pm

November Avenue wrote:To me it's stupid too. There's nothing "dangerous" about a cellphone. It's not the fault of technology that you have a bunch of morons out there who get so immersed in their dippy little text messages that they don't see 18-wheeler in front of them.

Just like it isn't the fault of technology that there are predators on the internet targeting kids who're playing on the computer. Either way, with technological advances, something has to be done to safeguard that vulnerable situations that they create.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:04 pm

I actually like that there is so much public talk about the dangers of texting and taking calls while driving. I think that it may (huge stretch, though) make people more aware of the destraction.

I never text while driving, but for when I am at a light. And I rarely take a call. I pull over to call them back. But I have to be 100% cautious while driving, as I am a shitty driver if I am not totally focused.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:27 am

I honestly think that texting is one of the dumbest technological innovations of the past decade and causes more trouble that it's worth. That there has become this national awareness to the dangers of texting is just loopy to me....not because of the awareness itself....but because there are actually enough dumbasses out there who let their phone texts distract them to the point where they get into accidents.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:11 am

And exactly WHAT is the point of texting anyway? I once attended a concert put on by members of the Air Force, and one of the performers was saying they went to a high school a few days ago and he saw these two girls walking side by side down the hall texting and one turned to the other and said, 'did you get my text yet?'

And what about those studies that research what happens when teenagers swear off it for a month? Suddenly they gain back hundreds of hours that they have previously spent twittering their thumbs on tiny buttons to send brief messages to people that they suddenly found themselves having to actually see in person to talk with. Now it would seem to me that if anything, texting serves the purpose, in instances like these, of almost guaranteeing your kid becomes anti-social, oh sure he can type in hundreds of 'his' and 'lols', but put him face to face with the guy he sent those messages to, and he can't figure how to talk.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:48 am

Super, texting is really non-personal. But I love it. I am not a crazed texter, but the way I see it is that when I have a simple message for someone I don't have to dial, wait for them to pick up, if they can, even, sans interruption. I just say what suits me, then they read. No pleasantries exchanged.

That said, I am one who still sends cards a letters via snail mail to long distance friends. So, I am very in between.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:21 pm

RedBedroom wrote:Super, texting is really non-personal. But I love it. I am not a crazed texter, but the way I see it is that when I have a simple message for someone I don't have to dial, wait for them to pick up, if they can, even, sans interruption. I just say what suits me, then they read. No pleasantries exchanged.

That said, I am one who still sends cards a letters via snail mail to long distance friends. So, I am very in between.

Really. Texting is VERY fun. I don't go a day without doing it. However, what pisses me off is when I text, then I decide to call you after texting back and forth and you don't pick up the phone.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:24 pm

I can see merit in texting but I think our country is a bit addicted to it.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:25 pm

I agree that there needs to be some kind of mandate on it. Seriously, I never use my phone or text while I'm driving. I have a bluetooth if I need to talk. I'll pull over if I need to text. Living in NYC....I can't even tell you how many accidents I've had to avoid or some asshole I've had to curse out because some idiot wasn't paying attention being too busy texting or talking on the phone. Most people don't know how to drive as it is, so having an extra distraction can be dangerous. So I'm all for the crackdown.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:51 am

A cellphone can only be as dangerous as the biggest idiot in the group lets it be.

With that said, I can see why we'd need some awareness over the matter.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:06 am

Chris wrote:Just like it isn't the fault of technology that there are predators on the internet targeting kids who're playing on the computer. Either way, with technological advances, something has to be done to safeguard that vulnerable situations that they create.

I think you're right, Chris. People are stupid and because of that, we need to take action to protect others. As you said, something needs to be done to protect the vulnerable.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:54 pm

Chris wrote:

Just like it isn't the fault of technology that there are predators on the internet targeting kids who're playing on the computer. Either way, with technological advances, something has to be done to safeguard that vulnerable situations that they create.
    co-signs Usually I'm not a fan of "nanny laws" but not with texting while driving. You may be able to drive and text better than some one who is just driving. You're in the minority. Tough.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 9:55 am