CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

Banned and/or challenged books that you have read

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Banned and/or challenged books that you have read Empty Banned and/or challenged books that you have read

Post by Supernova Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:54 am

What books have you read that schools and libraries have banned or challenged because they found the content to be...controversial for lack of a better word?

I've read:

Fahrenheit 451
    Brave New World
    Slaughterhouse-Five
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    The Color Purple
    Lord of the Flies
    The Catcher in the Rye
    Animal Farm
    The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
    Tom Sawyer
    Carrie
    The Exorcist
    Alvin Schwartz's Scary Stories series

Not a lot but it's a start. How about everybody else?
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Banned and/or challenged books that you have read Empty Re: Banned and/or challenged books that you have read

Post by TSJFan4Ever Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:19 am

Funny thing is, I read most of these in school and the onyl reason I knew they were banned was because our teachers told us that had been the case, once upon a time:

Uncle Tom's Cabin
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Lord of the Flies
    The Catcher in the Rye
    Animal Farm
    Of Mice and Men
    Call of the Wild
    The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
    Tom Sawyer
    Huckleberry Finn
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Banned and/or challenged books that you have read Empty Re: Banned and/or challenged books that you have read

Post by Supernova Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:53 am

Frighteningly enough, Fahrenheit 451 still has a lot of people who'd like to see it banned. A couple years ago they had on the news a father and his 10th grade daughter who said it shouldn't be taught because of the swearing and it mentions burning the Bible. Now I'm a Christian myself and I got to ask what the hell? Like it's okay to burn all these other books but the Bible, oooooooooohhh no. For crying out loud, his daughter is in the 10th grade, why hasn't she learned yet that books do have swearing and they don't always say what you want them to?
    pisces33
    pisces33
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 4

Post by pisces33 Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:02 pm

I lived in a small town with a big library, and once TPTB told the librarians to get rid of banned books, and they absolutely refused and displayed them prominently with a big sign that proclaimed "get your banned books here". I was so proud of them. They never backed down and the whole matter was dropped.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:35 pm

Tom Sawyer is challenged? What ever for? Razz

I read Tom Sawyer and Animal Farm.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:39 pm

For use of the word 'nigger', same as Huckleberry Finn I reckon, and To Kill a Mockingbord.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:41 pm

Supernova wrote:For use of the word 'nigger', same as Huckleberry Finn I reckon, and To Kill a Mockingbord.
    lol Kind of ironic considering that wouldn't be my first guess for why they banned it. lol Lame to ban it on that alone. Gosh, sensitive people.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:26 am

Indeeeeeeeeed, think if they banned movies for the same reasons, how many would that take out of public circulation?
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:43 am

LOL - a ton of them!!!!!

I didn't realize that was the reason those books were banned, Supernova. Our teacher was talking about how, back when Huck Finn was banned, it was partly because of Huck's friendship with Jim, but I think he might have been talking about a really early banning.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:10 pm

Here's mine:

1. To Kill a Mockingbird
    2. The Catcher in the Rye
    3. Lolita

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:10 pm

If anybody's interested, and I'm sure they're not, big grin I'll be going to the library either tomorrow or Saturday, they have a book there ABOUT banned books, covers them up to I think 1950. I read it once before, I'm going to get it again and see from there, what I've read that's been banned, what I haven't read that's been banned, and why they were banned. I do remember one, get this, Dr. Dolittle the children's book was banned due to the fact that sabes que 'animals should not speak the same language as humans', can you believe it?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:32 pm