CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+9
Forgiveness Man
Chris
Alan Smithee
CatEyes10736
JM130ELM
Nystyle709
TSJFan4Ever
Supernova
RobbieFTW
13 posters

Should kids be paid to go to school?

RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Should kids be paid to go to school? Empty Should kids be paid to go to school?

Post by RobbieFTW Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:54 pm

Imagine if the government PAID kids to attend school, with the better the grades the better the pay. How would you feel about that?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Should kids be paid to go to school? Empty Re: Should kids be paid to go to school?

Post by Supernova Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:39 am

Kids don't do any better when their parents pay them, no matter what the amount. There's no good to come from paying people to do what they should be doing on their own accord in the first place.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Should kids be paid to go to school? Empty Re: Should kids be paid to go to school?

Post by TSJFan4Ever Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:41 am

Where I live, First Nations kids are paid $50 a month as long as they don't miss more than 3 days. There's no accountability, though - the kid just has to be there but they don't seem to care if the kid does any work.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:44 am

Not a good idea AT ALL. The education in this country would devolve even further. Students wouldn't want to pay to get a degree when they got paid to get diploma.
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by JM130ELM Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:48 am

Some responsibilities don't come with monetary compensation. School is one. They're getting paid an education, that's enough.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:03 pm

JM130ELM wrote:Some responsibilities don't come with monetary compensation. School is one. They're getting paid an education, that's enough.

clapping

If every student were paid just $.10/a day, that would be enough to create a massive debt. No, they're learning essentials that will help them function in life. That's "payment" enough.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:46 pm

JM130ELM wrote:Some responsibilities don't come with monetary compensation. School is one. They're getting paid an education, that's enough.
    co-signs
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:26 pm

co-signs
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:47 pm

The government paying kids to go to school? You mean taxpayers paying kids to go to school! Razz No thanks. We waste too much money on bad education as it is.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:09 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:The government paying kids to go to school? You mean taxpayers paying kids to go to school! Razz No thanks. We waste too much money on bad education as it is.

Ha ha ha, Amen to that.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:16 pm

The thing that really bugs me is that SO many children in other countries would give anything to go to school, to have their education all but paid for. Education really is a privileged and I wish more kids would learn to see it that way.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:51 pm

They are....it's called academic scholarships.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:24 am

TSJFan4Ever wrote:The thing that really bugs me is that SO many children in other countries would give anything to go to school, to have their education all but paid for. Education really is a privileged and I wish more kids would learn to see it that way.

Well it would be better if education came across as such a privilege instead of a punishment or a life sentence. You know, you go to classes for 6 hours a day, then some kids, they get so much homework they have to do it from the minute they get home until dinner, then after dinner until bed, then finisht it at breakfast to repeat the pattern the next day. Now that sounds like something FOR another country, China or some place where the kids have to study all the time and make good grades or they shame their family...it sounds like a method of torture, and a sure fire way to make any kid hate school.

Of course I didn't have to go through that and I didn't appreciate it all that much when I was younger either. I guess it's part of the territory, we come into the world and in a few years are convinced we know everything and what we will or won't need, and it's not until we grow up that we know better, some of us anyway.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:06 am

Supernova wrote:

Well it would be better if education came across as such a privilege instead of a punishment or a life sentence. You know, you go to classes for 6 hours a day, then some kids, they get so much homework they have to do it from the minute they get home until dinner, then after dinner until bed, then finisht it at breakfast to repeat the pattern the next day. Now that sounds like something FOR another country, China or some place where the kids have to study all the time and make good grades or they shame their family...it sounds like a method of torture, and a sure fire way to make any kid hate school.

Of course I didn't have to go through that and I didn't appreciate it all that much when I was younger either. I guess it's part of the territory, we come into the world and in a few years are convinced we know everything and what we will or won't need, and it's not until we grow up that we know better, some of us anyway.

I agree. How can we expect kids to value education when we make education such a burdensome experience? The compulsory school system is a failure and I think that is why kids don't value education. Homework doesn't help. When you're entire day is devoted to education, you WILL come to despise it. If kids in this country hate education, it is because of the stupid policies than dominate modern school. Heck, it's not even the education we care about anymore, it's the documents.

I am in the same boat. Liked it much better. No extra work designed solely to eat up my time. xD
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:32 am

Should kids be paid to go to school? 35166
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:34 pm

RobbieFTW wrote:Imagine if the government PAID kids to attend school, with the better the grades the better the pay. How would you feel about that?

Scholarships.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:54 pm

RobbieFTW wrote:Imagine if the government PAID kids to attend school, with the better the grades the better the pay. How would you feel about that?

I would feel pretty mad about it! The government has no business to spend anymore money that it doesn't have.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:29 pm