CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

Shale's Movie Blurbs

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Shale's Movie Blurbs Empty Shale's Movie Blurbs

Post by Shale Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:12 pm

I like watching movies, my favs being sci-fi or romantic drama/comedy. I usually write a little blurb about my movie experience and post it on several boards. Here is the most recent one.

Just seeing how it posts here and if it is appreciated.

Easy A
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    September 25, 2010

Some may have noticed that I haven't been doing any movie blurbs for a while. I've been traveling for 3 weeks and was actually on a bus when this movie opened on Sept. 17. On top of that I have been serving jury duty for the past week and will be quite pressed to catch up on my work.

It is recommended to break a fast with something lite so I chose Easy A as my first movie in a month. I had seen the trailers and it looked like an easy to enjoy teen flick with a cute premise and good actors with a charming lead. Apparently my instincts were correct as the aggregate reviews on Rottentomatoes gave it a good 85% & 83% of audiences liked it.

Shale's Movie Blurbs 67599_gal

We open with Olive Penderghast (Emma Stone) doing a Weblog explaining the recent events of her life; the life of a good, witty, articulate student who never played around and how she became known as the school slut.

It started by bragging to her competitive BFF Rhiannon (Alyson Michalka) about doing some college dude (she didn't) but was overheard by the religious prude Marianne (Amanda Bynes). With the speed of a Tweet, everyone in school knows of this and Olive actually kinda likes being noticed for the first time.

However, goaded by one of the religious intolerants, she reacts and gets sent to the principal (Malcolm McDowell) where she meets Brandon (Dan Byrd) who gets beaten up a lot because everyone knows he's gay. Brandon convinces her to help him by faking sex with him - so the gay rep will go away.

Of course word gets out to all the loser guys and they start paying Olive to not have sex with them but up their rep by letting ppl think she does. This gets olive more attacks from the religious fanatics - to which she reacts by throwing it in their faces. (I like that attitude - used it myself in the face of social disapproval. Never grow up!)

A coincidental assignment in English is to read Hawthorne's "The Scarlet Letter," which inspires Olive to sew a big red A on all her over-the-top sexy clothes. This gets her noticed.

The Scarlet Letter
    Shale's Movie Blurbs Easy-a-movie

And where are Olive's parents during all this? Part of the appeal of this movie for me was her parents (Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson), very liberal, permissive and funny. The kind of parent I aspired to be. (I won't embarrass my daughter Rosalyn here by telling how permissive we were in her high school years). I like the dialogue, which was fast-paced and genuinely funny. The family conversations between Olive, her parents and younger brother Chip (Bryce Clyde Jenkins) are some of the best scenes in this movie.

The Penderghast Family
    Shale's Movie Blurbs Easy-a-movie

Well, ya know things get out of hand. Her rep gets trashed but she does find one true friend, Todd (Penn Badgley) who understands and supports her. Oh, you also know this movie has a happy ending.

Todd Rides Off With Olive on a Golf Cart
    Shale's Movie Blurbs 67603_gal

Need I tell you again that I am with that 8 out of 10 people who really liked this movie. While it is PG-13 and perhaps made for adolescent enjoyment, that never stops me from getting into the mood or setting or fun of it. Highly recommended.

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:41 pm