CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

Alice in Wonderland

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Alice in Wonderland Empty Alice in Wonderland

Post by Supernova Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:10 pm

The other day my brother brought up the question of he wonders how Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland does in comparison to the Disney version from 1951. I told him I don't think it compares well at all because in Disney's version, Alice is a little girl going to Wonderland for the first time, in Burton's version, she is 19 and going BACK there.

I've never seen the Burton remake, and I don't intend to. I just recently saw the Disney version for the first time and I loved it.

How about everybody else here? Which versions have you seen and which do you like?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Alice in Wonderland Empty Re: Alice in Wonderland

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:28 pm

I'm going with Disney this time (unlike Sleepy Hollow).
    JeanMerc82
    JeanMerc82
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 4

Post by JeanMerc82 Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:59 pm

Disney version.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:48 pm

I grew up with the Disney version and it was an enjoyable kid movie. The newer one probably would appeal more to adolescents and I also enjoyed it as well. Both fantasy, both distortions of Lewis Carroll's writing (combining Through The Looking Glass with Alice in Wonderland). So, by being a purist you sort of limit yourself.

I like to watch movies free-standing without comparing them to other derivative works like the original book, play or other movie. With books and plays it is a different medium and with other movies - sometimes it is good to have a remake, sometimes you wonder why they bothered (such as The Wolf Man).
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:26 pm

Supernova wrote:The other day my brother brought up the question of he wonders how Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland does in comparison to the Disney version from 1951. I told him I don't think it compares well at all because in Disney's version, Alice is a little girl going to Wonderland for the first time, in Burton's version, she is 19 and going BACK there.

I've never seen the Burton remake, and I don't intend to. I just recently saw the Disney version for the first time and I loved it.

How about everybody else here? Which versions have you seen and which do you like?

Believe it or not I have the new one and have not watched it yet.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:48 pm

Tony Marino wrote:

Believe it or not I have the new one and have not watched it yet.

I can believe it, I buy movies all the time and don't get around to watching them for years. That's something that's been going on most of my life, when I was about 8, my mother got me one of those Feature Films for Family tapes, Willy the Sparrow, and I didn't watch it for months, and she asked why I didn't like it, then I finally put it in and watched it and I about wore that tape out. And I STILL have movies I bought last year or early this year and haven't taken the time to pop in the VCR yet.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:00 am

Supernova wrote:

I can believe it, I buy movies all the time and don't get around to watching them for years. That's something that's been going on most of my life, when I was about 8, my mother got me one of those Feature Films for Family tapes, Willy the Sparrow, and I didn't watch it for months, and she asked why I didn't like it, then I finally put it in and watched it and I about wore that tape out. And I STILL have movies I bought last year or early this year and haven't taken the time to pop in the VCR yet.

I have so many movies on my shelf that I have bought and have not opened yet. During this time when I was recuperating from my broken ankle I promised myself that I was going to watch a lot of them. I never opened up one of the yet LOL. I have 4 seasons of Supernatural on DVD and have not watched a single one yet. I just like to know that I have it in case I want to watch it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 9:08 am