CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

Who here has gone to college?

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Who here has gone to college? Empty Who here has gone to college?

Post by Supernova Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:11 am

To those who have, let's for a minute put aside how much good ( Bullshit ) that damn degree's going to do any of us ( yeah right ), and discuss the actual college experience, the academic experience that is. The classes, the exams, the lectures, all of that crap...was it worth it? In your opinion, what good if any even came from all of it?

From my own standpoint, very little, we were issued exams in which answers that would be word for word what the textbooks said, were wrong and the 'right' answers were whatever the hell came off the top of the professors' heads, and I attended online, so any time something came up that I needed to talk to the professors about...they'd be over on the other side of the world and of no help whatsoever.

In short, I was ecstatic to graduate two years ago, and I am so thankful I don't EVER have to do it again because I would not. In my opinion, it was not worth the five years of mess after mess that I had to put up with. How about everyone else?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Who here has gone to college? Empty Re: Who here has gone to college?

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:12 am

What if the "gone" isn't past tense yet? Razz Can we speak to the uselessness of it all still? FORGIVENESS MAN
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:12 am

Sure.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:24 am

Supernova wrote:To those who have, let's for a minute put aside how much good ( Who here has gone to college? 109160 ) that damn degree's going to do any of us ( Who here has gone to college? 471600 ), and discuss the actual college experience, the academic experience that is. The classes, the exams, the lectures, all of that crap...was it worth it? In your opinion, what good if any even came from all of it?

I got an education. That's always going to be valuable. People like to talk all that crap about college not being worth the money and I understand that this economy made exceptions for college educated people when it came to finding a job (since a lot of people with multiple degrees still can't find a gig) but that's besides the point. And quite frankly, it's still an leg up to have a degree, even though the market is bleak right not. It would be entirely ludicrous to encourage someone not to go to college and further their education. Even if you go to a two year school, any type of advanced degree is a personal and professional achievement.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:26 am

Well, so far all of my courses seem somewhat useless, at least for ME personally, anyway. I hate Algebra and will not go into any career requiring extensive skill in it. So Math is useless to me. The Computer class is largely complicating things beyond what I really need to know. Psychology class is not bad, but it doesn't seem all that useful either. English might have SOME use to me as a writer, but not much seeing as the rules will always be different depending on who I am writing for. Besides, the readings are boring and most have a painfully leftist vibe.

Maybe things will change, but so far, college is proving itself to be exactly what I thought it would be, a waste. Sure, I guess you need the degree to have a realistic chance at good jobs but I honestly am not seeing a use for the classes that get said degree. If I was a doctor or lawyer, it'd be different. But for me, college just seems useless.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:56 am

What year are you in college, Forgiveness_Man?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:01 am

Supernova wrote:What year are you in college, Forgiveness_Man?
    I'm still a noob at it. xD But still, thus far, it doesn't really feel like I am taking anything that will really give me substantial benefit. People with degrees still are not finding the jobs. IDK, college just seems to be very overrated these days.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:41 am

My condolences. I did the whole college thing for 5 years and a few courses were okay but for the most part I'd say it was an extreme waste of my time.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:52 am

Supernova wrote:My condolences. I did the whole college thing for 5 years and a few courses were okay but for the most part I'd say it was an extreme waste of my time.
    Thanks! xD I don't even wanna bother with the 5 year thing. xD Unless I get some big calling for a specific career, I think Ima cut it at 2.5. Some of the courses have some okay learning thing but it just doesn't feel worth it, neither for time or money.
    el Rio
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 4

Post by el Rio Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:09 pm

Got a masters degree and it effectivly doubled my earning capacity. GI bill put me through undergraduate in the late 60's early 70's. Went back to school in the late 80's for a two years Masters degree and had a job offered to me before the middle of my second year. Retired in 2005 and was sought out to work in a private setting making better than I had before.

Anybody tells you education is worthless is a damn fool. You need to make intelligent choices for your major and you need to know enough about yourself to know what you want to do. One of my sons just got his BA plus an RN degree. He's starting at around $60,000. a year for his first job. Jobs do exist but you got to have what the market wants. Right now anything medical is hot stuff cause the first wave of us baby-boomers are getting old and fallin' apart. Bi-lingual is always a plus.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:22 pm

el Rio wrote:Anybody tells you education is worthless is a damn fool. You need to make intelligent choices for your major and you need to know enough about yourself to know what you want to do.

Unfortunately, that's a line that gets fed to everybody and millions of people find themselves owing $40,000 in student loan debts they're never going to get paid back, doing minimum wage jobs because even with a degree, there's nothing for them that's any better, or they're overqualified, or there just simply are no jobs available. It used to be you only needed college degrees for the upper, more complicated careers that only the select few belonged to, now you about need a degree to collect garbage. The whole college degree thing is a big business today because the schools make money off it but few people who pursue it ever have any money of their own to use in their own lives afterwards.
    el Rio
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 4

Post by el Rio Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:38 pm

Again it depends on your field of study...My sons nursing degree is paying off well.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:39 pm

Supernova wrote:

Unfortunately, that's a line that gets fed to everybody and millions of people find themselves owing $40,000 in student loan debts they're never going to get paid back, doing minimum wage jobs because even with a degree, there's nothing for them that's any better, or they're overqualified, or there just simply are no jobs available. It used to be you only needed college degrees for the upper, more complicated careers that only the select few belonged to, now you about need a degree to collect garbage. The whole college degree thing is a big business today because the schools make money off it but few people who pursue it ever have any money of their own to use in their own lives afterwards.

Exactly! "Education" is not always synonymous with college. True, these days degrees make you much more marketable as a possible employee, but I think that is merely due to the degree and less what it took to get it. In other words, it's an artificial need.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:40 pm

Supernova wrote:

Exactly! "Education" is not always synonymous with college. True, these days degrees make you much more marketable as a possible employee, but I think that is merely due to the degree and less what it took to get it. In other words, it's an artificial need.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:31 pm

I went to college out of state from where I grew up. Did the whole "college life" dorm thing. Had a pretty good time too.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 11:57 pm