CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+8
Shale
Forgiveness Man
MandyPerfumeGirl
Alan Smithee
RedBedroom
Marc™
Nystyle709
Impact
12 posters

"Let us all bow our heads in prayer..."

Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

"Let us all bow our heads in prayer..." Empty "Let us all bow our heads in prayer..."

Post by Impact Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:58 pm

So, I have a question for you all...

Scenario: You are at a dinner party, and some people go to pray before the meal. All bow their heads, but you are an atheist. Do you do the same out of respect?

I generally do, but every time I do it bothers me a little. I have respect for people's religious beliefs, but I always wonder why it would be so horrible and taboo for those with religious beliefs to *not* pray because an atheist is present.

If one person at a dinner table bows his head, everyone else follows suit out of respect. But if one person at the table refuses, it is some horrible offense.

Any thoughts?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

"Let us all bow our heads in prayer..." Empty Re: "Let us all bow our heads in prayer..."

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:05 pm

I'd bow my head. Shit, I ain't gotta pray (even though I do and I actually would). Praying before a meal is something that I'm accustomed to. That being said, if they've invited you into their home and you know that's what they do, then you should just bow your head out of respect. Like I said, you ain't gotta pray. You can just be thinking about the wafting aromas of the food you're about to receive or whatever else you want.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

"Let us all bow our heads in prayer..." Empty Re: "Let us all bow our heads in prayer..."

Post by Marc™ Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:13 pm

Whose house is it? That basically ends the whole argument IMO. If you're the guest in a religious home, and their tradition is prayer before meals....then you go with their flow (even if you're only going through the motions.) If you're heavily religious and are the guest in an Atheists house, then I doubt they'll mind if you personally bow your head before grubbing.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:42 pm

I think it should be done out of respect because it is not as if they are proposing you be Baptised.

I am not an Atheist, but we do not pray before meals. I pray daily, just not before meals. Last year my high school best friend's brother came here for dinner. Thankfully, I picked up on the fact that he wanted to pray before the meal because he did and I asked him to lead us in prayer.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:05 am

Whether it's a home or an away game if someone else at the table wants to say grace, I'll just sit there quietly.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:56 pm

I wouldn't bow my head. I've never been that big on prayer. And while I understand that people just want to respect another's religion, I wouldn't do it, because I think that would be kind of phoney. I don't have a problem not bowing my head if other people do it - they have a right to their beliefs and I have a right to mine.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:59 pm

I'd abide with the customs of the house I am visiting if they are within reason. It's respectful. So while I do say regular grace, if they say hold hands or bow heads during prayer, I'd probably do that too to be respectful. It's not as if they're asking me to get naked or cut myself. It's just bowing your head. Razz
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:13 pm

I am politically anti-religion. As a teen I thot myself an Atheist but a Social Studies teacher said I was Ant-thesis Agnostic and that worked for me.

I have some spiritual beliefs that are almost Buddhist but mutable and I am a vegetarian.

Last month I spent weeks with my sister and her husband who are quite religious (he is an ordained minister) They know my beliefs, yet I was included in the grace before meals - like we held hands around the table. No prob for me - we are family (even tho I am quite the black sheep) Besides, they do respect my vegetarian diet and go out of their way to get me separate stuff to eat at the mealtime.

It just comes down to tolerance and consideration.

I have attended Catholic Mass as a teen and went thru all the genuflexion and kneeling (this was in Latin days). I have drank water from the Ganges in a Hindu temple in Agra without realizing what I was doing - just following a Hindu friend with me. (Really, water scooped right out of the river that has dead ppl and ashes in it - the holy river somehow purifies itself). So, holding hands and bowing my head during grace with my family is no big deal any more.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:39 pm

It just comes down to tolerance and consideration.

Well said.
    JeanMerc82
    JeanMerc82
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 4

Post by JeanMerc82 Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:00 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:I'd bow my head. Shit, I ain't gotta pray (even though I do and I actually would). Praying before a meal is something that I'm accustomed to. That being said, if they've invited you into their home and you know that's what they do, then you should just bow your head out of respect. Like I said, you ain't gotta pray. You can just be thinking about the wafting aromas of the food you're about to receive or whatever else you want.
    co-signs
    el Rio
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 4

Post by el Rio Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:57 pm

My spirituality has elements of Buddhism and some of the Shamanistic beliefs of Tribal Peoples. I like to think about where my food comes from so while the other folks pray their way I'll think about the Earth that feeds me...I'm not too sure it isn't all one and the same anyway. Yeah I'll bow my head, I'll also think about folks who don't get enough to eat and send some energy their way too.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:52 am

I usually just bow my head in respect even if I don't pray along with them.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:16 pm

Pretty much agree with everyone. Nothing wrong with being respectful. And it doesn't mean you have to pray if you don't want to. Not a big deal.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 9:39 pm