CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

Never Let Me Go

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Never Let Me Go Empty Never Let Me Go

Post by Shale Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:28 am

Never Let Me Go
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    October 8, 2010

Rene Rodriguez gave this movie a 3 stars out of 4 and there was a feature on it by him in the Miami Herald so this is the big movie of the week by this critic. It is from a book written by Kazuo Ishiguro. I knew a little about the movie and while not knowing if I was ready to sit thru Buried, I opted for this drama, since there were no really worthwhile, light, escapist movies playing.

Well, I can't give a review of this movie without spoiling it for you if you haven't seen trailers and figured out the big secret behind the early announcement that "In 1952 due to medical advances, human life expectancy had passed 100 years by 1967." So If you have yet to see this movie or plan to see it in future, DO NOT READ FURTHER.

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

S
    P
    A
    C
    E

OK, the reason I couldn't give a non-spoiler appraisal of this movie is because I had problems with the whole premise and that spoiled it for me. We open with our main protagonist and narrator, Kathy (Carey Mulligan) as she is watching a friend, Tom (Andrew Garfield) being prepped for surgery. He already has a scar of major lung surgery on one side.

Kathy then relates how they all grew up together in Hailsham, an idyllic looking boarding school in the English countryside. We follow our protagonists as three childhood friends Kathy, Ruth and Tommy during their formative years in this boarding school. We know something is amiss, and finally a new teacher Miss Lucy (Sally Hawkins) lets the secret out by informing them that they are all clones whose whole purpose in life is to grow to young adulthood whereupon they will have organs harvested, two, three or four times until they finally "complete." Of course Miss Lucy is promptly fired.

Now we follow the kids thru adolescence, where they move to cottages and deal with socialization problems and form those awkward discoveries of love and sex. We see the growing affection from childhood between Kathy and Tom.

Tommy & Kathy at Hailsham
    Never Let Me Go 68511_gal

But we go thru the turmoil caused to Kathy when Tom starts having loud teen sex with Ruth (Keira Knightley) who is also a part of the three friends.

Kathy Ruth & Tommy BFF
    Never Let Me Go Never-let-me-go-550x365

We see them as young individuals with lives and aspirations and this is where I couldn't really get into the whole premise of this story.

THAT IS OUTRAGEOUS!

I'd be part of the picketers outside Hailsham. The Organ Donor Programme trucks would be blocked or sabotaged. The news around the world would be condemning it.

So, you see, with a failed premise to this story I could not really get into the plight of these young ppl. My mind was running thru all the possibilities that would support such a program, from the German Final Solution, to the Tuskegee Experiments, to the U.S. raising fine healthy boys of my generation, then forcing them against their will at 18 to go to war and kill or be killed. These real atrocities took place near or during my lifetime, but I can't see this story happening, even in that time and especially going into the late '90s when these thinking humans, desiring to stay alive would go thru with giving up that life to donate organs for another life.

I just can't see it and it ruined the movie for me. Sorry.

If you are wondering about the movie title it is from a song on a used cassette Songs After Dark given to Kathy by Tom as children of a fictional American singer, Judy Bridgewater.

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:04 am