CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
MandyPerfumeGirl
Tony Marino
stonestatic
Chris
RedBedroom
Shale
Kral
11 posters

Would You Ever Convert to the Religion of Your Spouse (Partner?)

Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Would You Ever Convert to the Religion of Your Spouse (Partner?) Empty Would You Ever Convert to the Religion of Your Spouse (Partner?)

Post by Kral Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:52 pm

This question also works if you're atheist. If you met someone whom you fell deeply in love and decide to spend the rest of your life with, but they followed a different religious philosophy than you and were VERY into it, would you be willing to convert to their faith to appease them?

AKA
    You're a christian and they're jewish. Would you convert to Judaism?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Would You Ever Convert to the Religion of Your Spouse (Partner?) Empty Re: Would You Ever Convert to the Religion of Your Spouse (Partner?)

Post by Shale Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:59 pm

NO!
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Would You Ever Convert to the Religion of Your Spouse (Partner?) Empty Re: Would You Ever Convert to the Religion of Your Spouse (Partner?)

Post by RedBedroom Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:10 am

No. I have my own spirituality, and live with someone who is quite a bit removed from how I feel. I will NEVER EVER become involved with someone not on track with the way I believe.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:26 am

I seriously doubt it. The most I'd do is create a living arrangement that accommodates her being able to observe her religion, but I wouldn't personally convert.
    stonestatic
    stonestatic
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 24

Post by stonestatic Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:10 am

I think converting just to fall in line with your partner is much much too extreme. I would like Chris said, just respect their religion and theological traditions, but not take them on personally.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:13 am

Absolutely not, I was born a Christian and will be for the rest of my life.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:56 am

I doubt I would ever convert to a religion that I didn't believe in for someone else - that would be false. I would respect their religion and the possible differences in our beliefs, but I wouldn't convert. I would respect his beliefs and he would have to do the same for me.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:06 am

I'm not religious at all, so if I were to marry someone who were I couldn't be converted because I don't follow anything. But I wouldn't just start buying into their faith either. I would just respect their religion and expect that they respect that I'm not a follower of it in turn.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:54 pm

No, I wouldn't. And that's a question people need to be clear on before they get married and not something "we'll work out later."
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:48 pm

Not a chance in hell.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:46 am

I wouldn't and just the idea is borderline offensive to me. I shouldn't have to be co-opted into someone else's faith just to appease or be "closer" to them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:48 pm