CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Jason B.
TSJFan4Ever
MandyPerfumeGirl
Forgiveness Man
DarkOblivion
9 posters

people judged by the company they keep

DarkOblivion
    DarkOblivion
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 4

people judged by the company they keep Empty people judged by the company they keep

Post by DarkOblivion Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:03 pm

Are the company people keep a reflection on THEM? Like say someone is good friends with a hoodlum or a bigot, does that make a statement about their own personality to associate with such characters? It does IMO. Everybody has shady people in their lives who are there by circumstance and who're only "associates". But somebody is tight with a bigot or a racist or a criminal, is it a big leap that they harbor at least some of those qualities too. Just some f.f.t.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

people judged by the company they keep Empty Re: people judged by the company they keep

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:41 pm

Depends how close they are with said person and how accurately labels like hoodlum or bigot really are.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

people judged by the company they keep Empty Re: people judged by the company they keep

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:32 pm

Some people can have radically different views or actions and still have a friendship/relationship - and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't think people should be judged by the company they keep - I think they should be judged for who they are, not for who their buddies are.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:58 pm

I guess it would depend on how big the "company" was. I mean - if it was just one or two people who were that way, I don't think it would make a difference, but if the majority of people someone hung out with were a certain way, I think it would make a bigger statement to people. I don't think people should be judge for the company they keep, but there are times you really wonder. I mean - if everyone you hung out with was racist, I'd wonder why you were with them, unless you were racist too. If everyone you hung out with loved dancing, I'd assume you had at least an interest in dancing. Maybe it's not so much of a judgement, but an assumption?
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:30 am

Dark Oblivion wrote:Are the company people keep a reflection on THEM? Like say someone is good friends with a hoodlum or a bigot, does that make a statement about their own personality to associate with such characters? It does IMO. Everybody has shady people in their lives who are there by circumstance and who're only "associates". But somebody is tight with a bigot or a racist or a criminal, is it a big leap that they harbor at least some of those qualities too. Just some f.f.t.

In theory people can be judged by the company they keep, but digging a little deeper most people aren't one-dimensional. Meaning even bigots and hoodlums can have OTHER qualities about them that attract their non-bigoted and non-hoodlum friends.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:22 pm

Are the company people keep a reflection on THEM?

Of course it is. At least initially until you get to know the person.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:01 pm

TSJFan4Ever wrote:I guess it would depend on how big the "company" was. I mean - if it was just one or two people who were that way, I don't think it would make a difference, but if the majority of people someone hung out with were a certain way, I think it would make a bigger statement to people. I don't think people should be judge for the company they keep, but there are times you really wonder. I mean - if everyone you hung out with was racist, I'd wonder why you were with them, unless you were racist too. If everyone you hung out with loved dancing, I'd assume you had at least an interest in dancing. Maybe it's not so much of a judgement, but an assumption?

I totally agree with you.
    FightSleep
    FightSleep
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 1

Post by FightSleep Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:50 am

If you only run with bigots and thugs then you can be judged for that. If it's just one or two, then not so much.
    Ghost1P
    Ghost1P
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 6

Post by Ghost1P Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:49 am

Dark Oblivion wrote:Are the company people keep a reflection on THEM? Like say someone is good friends with a hoodlum or a bigot, does that make a statement about their own personality to associate with such characters? It does IMO. Everybody has shady people in their lives who are there by circumstance and who're only "associates". But somebody is tight with a bigot or a racist or a criminal, is it a big leap that they harbor at least some of those qualities too. Just some f.f.t.

Here is what I say

.."Who you allow in your life says more about YOU then it says about THEM. Those around you speak for you and speak for your character"

I don't know who said it, but my dad raised me up with this one line...and I raise my children with that line as well.
    Ghost1P
    Ghost1P
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male

Post by Ghost1P Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:50 am

And there is one thing that gets my goats when people answer questions

"It depends"

no shit "IT DEPENDS" IT DEPENDS can be the answer to anything question on any topic for any reason. I will never understand why people even say IT DEPENDS. For lack of the ability to present a deeper answer perhaps?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:00 am

^^^^Deeper analysis than it depends? Very well!

If you don't like it depends, then how about saying that giving answers on vague absolutes is prejudicial? Saying whether somebody should be judged by the company they keep isn't just a black and white answer. Who is this company? What have they done so bad that the person should be judged for it? Have they killed somebody? Are they proclaiming violence? Have they raped somebody?

OR are they just looked down upon by society for being "different" than the acceptable?

And what does "keeping company with" mean? Does it mean going riding and partying with them, or does it mean merely not abandoning a friend because they have fallen short of our standards?

Yes, sometimes 'it depends' doesn't have a use. THIS is not one of those times. It Depends is a very appropriate answer because it DOES depend, on quite a lot.
    Ghost1P
    Ghost1P
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male

Post by Ghost1P Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:28 pm

I am not suggesting one way or the other whether a person "should" be judged based on the company they keep. What I am saying is that a person "IS" judged based on the company they keep. The two are very different.

And I never suggested that “IT DEPENDS” was ever inappropriate nor did I say it did not have its uses, but I did say…….and stand firm on. IT DEPENDS in a knee jerk response and can be used to reply virtually ever question.

Of course IT DEPENDS.

Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:31 pm

^^^^I don't think it's knee-jerk. If there's a better answer, it's usually given. Razz

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:48 pm