CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
TSJFan4Ever
Jason B.
Alan Smithee
CeCe
GrayWolf
Tony Marino
Chris
11 posters

Speaking of VCR's, when did you get your first one?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Speaking of VCR's, when did you get your first one? Empty Speaking of VCR's, when did you get your first one?

Post by Chris Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:42 pm

I guess this thread is for the older members of the Chamber. If you were born after, oh, 1986 -- then you probably have no recollection of this.

When did you (or your family) first get a VCR? My family first got one in 1985 and for years we were the *only* ones in the family who had on. My dad, I remember, used to unhook it from the back every time it wasn't being used.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Speaking of VCR's, when did you get your first one? Empty Re: Speaking of VCR's, when did you get your first one?

Post by Tony Marino Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:32 pm

Around the same time we were the first in the family to have one.
    GrayWolf
    GrayWolf
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 36

Speaking of VCR's, when did you get your first one? Empty Re: Speaking of VCR's, when did you get your first one?

Post by GrayWolf Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:50 pm

I think it was around 1987-88. Back then I remember video stores would rent them out.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:54 pm

It was sometime in the 80's. There were two types at the time, the vhs & the betamax. We got the vhs. It was a top loader with a corded remote. laughing
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:57 pm

CeCe wrote:It was sometime in the 80's. There were two types at the time, the vhs & the betamax. We got the vhs. It was a top loader with a corded remote. laughing
    LOL co-signs
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:02 pm

That reminds me that when my wife was just my girlfriend, her family got cable TV such as it was. The "remote" was maybe a little smaller than a shoe box with a double row of push buttons and was connected to the cable box with a fairly long cord but you were still tethered to the equipment.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:39 pm

CeCe wrote:It was sometime in the 80's. There were two types at the time, the vhs & the betamax. We got the vhs. It was a top loader with a corded remote. laughing

I remember the corded remotes, but I thought that was with betamax. When I was in elementary school, the school had beta VCRs that were huge and were in a brown wooden paneling. They had corded remotes.

We got our first VCR in 1986. The same night my parents bought the machine before we went home, we stopped at a neighborhood video store and opened an account. It was a big deal. The first movie we rented was Back to the Future.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:07 pm

Our family got on in the mid 80's but we only used it for watching movies, not taping things. Wasn't until probably 10 years later that we started taping things. I think I was either 18 or 21 when I got one of my own - can't remember which birthday but it was one of those milestone ones. I'm thinking 21 was more likely, as that's around the time I got into soaps - got a TV and VCR for Christmas/Birthday one year.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:22 am

My family got one right around 1988 and it was so great. I recall that Mom had won a VHS of E.T. at the local market, and we couldn't watch it. So, that prompted her to get a VCR.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:26 am

first got one mid to late 80's
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:09 am

We got our first one in 1987. My older cousin had one that he sold to my mother for $100. My mother bought 1 (and only 1) blank VHS tape. I remember I taped all my favorite shows on it, which I would watch and re-watch daily....then one day she ups and tapes over them with some junk. That VCR didn't last long....it wound up breaking and we didn't get a replacement until 1989.

What was cool about VCR's at the time was that it allowed people with non remote control TV's to pretend that they had one. Just put the TV on channel 3 and let the VCR control the stations.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:44 am

For as long as I can remember we had one. And my memory goes back to two years old. So I'm guessing around '84 or '85. My dad always had the latest electronic devices.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 3:03 pm