CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Nhaiyel
RobbieFTW
RiteDiva
7 posters

When did "down low" become a term exclusive to gay black men?

RiteDiva
    RiteDiva
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 8

When did "down low" become a term exclusive to gay black men? Empty When did "down low" become a term exclusive to gay black men?

Post by RiteDiva Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:11 am

Maybe I'm dating myself a bit with this, but I remember when this term first became part of urban pop culture in the middle 90s...and it basically referred to ANYONE doing anything sneaky on the side. TLC's "Creep" ('just keep it on the down low') and R. Kelly's "Down Low" sure weren't about covered up gay trysts. When and why did this term become swallowed by gay definition.

BTW, is anyone else sick of the term altogether? I am.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

When did "down low" become a term exclusive to gay black men? Empty Re: When did "down low" become a term exclusive to gay black men?

Post by RobbieFTW Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:05 am

They should call it what it is: being in the closet! :frustrated:
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

When did "down low" become a term exclusive to gay black men? Empty Re: When did "down low" become a term exclusive to gay black men?

Post by Nhaiyel Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:00 am

When did it happen? Probably around the mid/late 90s. Why? Well if you think about it, it's not that huge a leap to believe that terminology for sneaking around in a forbidden/potentially-shunned relationship would adopted by dudes engaging in same sex romps.

I do agree, though, that the term is stale now. We all have dirty laundry, but don't act calling it something else makes it cute. Like Robbie said, call it what it is...being closeted.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:37 pm

J.L. King wrote a book about it, and it was about black men, so maybe that has something to do with it? There is a second book written. Seeing King interviews when the book was new is what made my mind default to that race when thinking of the term. Not saying it is right, but just my speculation as to why the term is projected to only blacks.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:24 pm

That term has been so sensationalized by the media and pop culture now that I think it's them that keeps it perpetuated. I don't think it's used that much anymore amongst people who are actually ON the DL.
    Jazzde
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 1

Post by Jazzde Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:03 am

The term isnt exclusively for african americans but it is an african american slang for being in the closet. Therefore its more likely to be used when talking about a black gay male.
    stavdash
    stavdash
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 7

Post by stavdash Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:14 am

Nhaiyel wrote:When did it happen? Probably around the mid/late 90s. Why? Well if you think about it, it's not that huge a leap to believe that terminology for sneaking around in a forbidden/potentially-shunned relationship would adopted by dudes engaging in same sex romps.

I do agree, though, that the term is stale now. We all have dirty laundry, but don't act calling it something else makes it cute. Like Robbie said, call it what it is...being closeted.

Pretty much.

Jazzde is right, it is a slang that gay black men tend to use. Black people in general tend to do that; come up with alternate terminology for certain general situations. So, as far as that goes, whatever.

At the same, it has always been disturbing to me how gay black men casually throw that term around in a such a casual, almost gleeful way; like it's "cute" to creep, lurk and playact. Then again, a lot of men in general get their thrills off on being sneaky and getting away with it, so I guess that plays into the whole thing too.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:27 pm