CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Supernova
Shale
CeCe
Marc™
8 posters

Is It Right to Discriminate Against Men With Long Hair?

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Is It Right to Discriminate Against Men With Long Hair? Empty Is It Right to Discriminate Against Men With Long Hair?

Post by Marc™ Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:43 am

Men over the age of 21 are generally pressed it cut their hair if it's long....and in the corporate world it's considered poor form (a lot of jobs restrict male employees from having it past their ears.) What do you think, should hair length matter? If you went to a bank or a lawyers office, would you be put off by an officer or an attorney with long hair....even if he was well groomed?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Is It Right to Discriminate Against Men With Long Hair? Empty Re: Is It Right to Discriminate Against Men With Long Hair?

Post by CeCe Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:52 am

I don't think hair length matters at all. As long as it doesn't interfere with their ability to do their job & they keep it out of my food I don't see a problem at all.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Is It Right to Discriminate Against Men With Long Hair? Empty Re: Is It Right to Discriminate Against Men With Long Hair?

Post by Shale Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:21 am

Is this still an issue? I had long hair in the '70s and yes there was discrimination against us. Most str8 jobs were unavailable to "Hippies" back then. The style has gained more acceptance in artistic creative circles and I think it is just a fashion choice now.

Is It Right to Discriminate Against Men With Long Hair? Shale110

But, you have to wear the uniform in certain jobs unless you have such dominant skills that they tolerate your non-uniform appearance.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:55 am

Marc™ wrote:Men over the age of 21 are generally pressed it cut their hair if it's long....and in the corporate world it's considered poor form (a lot of jobs restrict male employees from having it past their ears.)

Is it also considered poor form if a woman has hair below her ears? No? Then why is it for men?
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:54 am

Some people see long hair on men as "flighty" or still stuck in a young phase. Personally I don't care, just make sure it groomed and neat and I'll still hire you if I like your pitch.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:55 am

Personally, I am not put off by it. Any length hair needs to be clean and maintained. So, as long as it is cared for, then it is fine.

I do think that employers who maybe are more old fashioned may assume that long hair has connotations that they don't want to present. I think that some people think that people with long hair are not as responsible, like to party...that kind of thing. It is a wrong way of thinking, and men should not be discriminated against for it.

But in the world stuff like that happens all the time. I am sure that obese women/men with bad skin lose jobs all the time to less qualified, but more attractive women/men.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:22 pm

We have a big supermaket chain here in Florida, Publix.

I have to give them credit for hiring mentally challenged ppl for bagging groceries and rounding up carts in the parking lot. It is a statewide policy in their stores.

However, their corporation is out of Lakeland Florida, not likely the most liberal place in the world. Therefore, say I want a part time supplemental job with Publix. They won't hire me because I have a beard and a pierced ear.

Never mind that I have a very good work history and have been trusted in many companies - I can't work at Publix without shaving. Some stupid idea about "image" that the rubes in rural Florida have.

Lucky for them there are no Sikhs who would want to work at Publix or there might be a discrimination lawsuit and some bad press.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:30 pm

No I wouldn't. One of my friends has long dreads. Down to his waist. They're beautiful. And he's a manager in a bank. Hair shouldn't matter and I don't think it really does as long as you have prim and professional look about yourself. I know a lot of people with dreads who work in corporate America.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:41 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:No I wouldn't. One of my friends has long dreads. Down to his waist. They're beautiful. And he's a manager in a bank. Hair shouldn't matter and I don't think it really does as long as you have prim and professional look about yourself. I know a lot of people with dreads who work in corporate America.

Yeah, dreads are accepted because they are seen as a statement of ethnic pride, and most corporate structures know better than to make an issue out of it. On the other hand, if instead of locks, the guy had regular braids or long, ironed out hair, that may be an issue. In law school, I can tell you that dreads are 100% accepted, but on men: braids, afros, or long following straight hair would be frowned upon.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:48 pm

Chris wrote:

Yeah, dreads are accepted because they are seen as a statement of ethnic pride, and most corporate structures know better than to make an issue out of it. On the other hand, if instead of locks, the guy had regular braids or long, ironed out hair, that may be an issue. In law school, I can tell you that dreads are 100% accepted, but on men: braids, afros, or long following straight hair would be frowned upon.
    Well, I don't have a problem with guys with long hair if something is done with it. I've seen guys in corporate America with cornrows too. That can also be considered a symbol of ethnic pride. And unless you're Snoop, I don't think too many men with long hair wear theirs flat ironed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:38 pm