CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
Forgiveness Man
MandyPerfumeGirl
Supernova
Nystyle709
RobbieFTW
Shale
Chris
11 posters

Military over college

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Military over college Empty Military over college

Post by Chris Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:52 pm

If you're son (or daughter) was a high school senior and, instead of attending college, was hellbent on joining the military after graduation, would you support him (or her) on that decision?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Military over college Empty Re: Military over college

Post by Shale Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:00 pm

NO! Especially now that we are engaged in a couple of wars with dubious outcome and very real danger. And, knowing that for all the TALK of backing our military, wounded vets are routinely being denied the care that they require (cost saving you know)

One of my grandsons had considered joining the military in this tanked economy and I was right there with the women in his life telling him not to. I may have joined the Air Force even if there wasn't a draft at the time, but unless there is some real benefit to joining the military today I would not.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:21 pm

It would depend on their personality. If he was a good student, I'd want him to go to college. If his grades were never anything special or if he was a screwup, then maybe the military can add some structure that college TOTALLY wouldn't.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Chris wrote:If you're son (or daughter) was a high school senior and, instead of attending college, was hellbent on joining the military after graduation, would you support him (or her) on that decision?
    If he/she was an academically gifted student? Then hell no, I wouldn't like that shit at all.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:09 pm

No.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:28 pm

Chris wrote:If you're son (or daughter) was a high school senior and, instead of attending college, was hellbent on joining the military after graduation, would you support him (or her) on that decision?

If I were a mother, I'd support my child in whatever she/he decided to do. It would be difficult to see him go off into such dangerous situation and into dangerous lands, but I would also be very proud of him/her for being so brave, for doing something I would never have the courage to do.

Oh by the way Robbie and NY, there is such a thing as college after the military. Duh.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:32 pm

It would depend on their personality I guess.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:44 pm

MandyPerfumeGirl wrote:

Oh by the way Robbie and NY, there is such a thing as college after the military. Duh.

Save the "Duh". Chris asked how would people feel about their kids joining the military after graduation INSTEAD of going to college.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:23 am

I'd stress college. Much as I respect service men and women, I wouldn't be too keen on my child going into the military to be quite honest.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:35 pm

CatEyes10736 wrote:I'd stress college. Much as I respect service men and women, I wouldn't be too keen on my child going into the military to be quite honest.

I know what you mean, it's like, you're grateful for what the people in the army do, you're grateful that they put their necks on the line to protect the rest of us, but you still wouldn't wish that kind of life on anybody, which I don't know if it's kind of hypocritical, but that's the way it is, especially during wartime you wouldn't wish recruitment and enlistment on anybody.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:43 pm

If they're 18, they can do whatever they want but I would implore them to reconsider....I don't think either of my kids are military material. Go to school....at least you can come home when you feel like it. Join the military and they pretty much own your ass. I see it as akin to prison.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:32 pm

MandyPerfumeGirl wrote:

If I were a mother, I'd support my child in whatever she/he decided to do. It would be difficult to see him go off into such dangerous situation and into dangerous lands, but I would also be very proud of him/her for being so brave, for doing something I would never have the courage to do.

Military over college 24264 . Why do you have this penchant for blowing shit out of proportion? I'm well aware that there is college after the military, since I know a lot of people to went into the military and went to college. The question that was asked is how would I feel about my child going to the military instead of going to college. No, I would prefer my child to go to college.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:30 am

I'd support them on whatever choice they made, but I would push for college over military.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:48 am

It would depend on my child's personality. I have a friend whose son is in the navy and wanting to go to Afghanistan. From the time he was a small child, he wanted to be in that kind of profession - first as a fire fighter and later the army/navy. His Dad was in the army before retiring and that's what he wanted to do.

It would be very hard, though, but I'd encourage my child to do both, if possible - get an education while being in the military and then making a decision at the end. I had a roommie who did it that way - was in the navy and getting her degree. I can't remember how it worked out, though - if she was considered full military, reservists, or in training. I'd really encourage my child to go that route, though.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:40 am