CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

4 posters

I Love You, Phillip Morris

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

I Love You, Phillip Morris Empty I Love You, Phillip Morris

Post by Shale Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:40 pm

I Love You, Phillip Morris
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    December 25, 2010

Just got back from the very crowded Cineplex on Lincoln Road, Miami Beach. Guess it's one of the only places open because it is always full of people on Xmas day.

OK, this thread was started on Dec 7th by another forum member from Miami Beach who saw an advance screening. His rundown was so concise and to the point I'd rather quote it than rewrite it more verbosely.

"This is easily the best film I have seen so far this year and it's based on a true story that's so out there that it has to be seen to be believed.

Jim Carey plays Steven Russel, a conman who quits his job at the police force after a life changing event and outs himself as a homosexual. He moves to Miami and gets involved in fraud and ends up in prison where he meets the love of his life, Phillip Morris (Ewan McGregor).

This film has a lot to say and is so full of twists and turns that it takes your emotions everywhere. Jim Carey has never nailed a role like this and I fully expect him to get some serious award recognition for his work as Steven Russel. I was honestly, whole heartedly moved by this picture so I do hope that it gets the attention it deserves."

What more can I say. Well, I should say that it is R-rated, probably for some of the simulated sex scenes. Wouldn't want the kids to see Carrey's character making love to his wife while stopping to discuss the days events. Could send the wrong message about married life.

Interestingly, on the aggregate reviews at Rottentomatoes, 73% of critics liked this movie and only 56% of audiences did. Hmmm, someone can do a study to see how many movie critics are gay.

All I can add is the personal impact this flick had on me - maybe not the best film for me because it had some disturbing, tense moments. Guess I have a thing about prison brutality and con artists that is a turn off.

Would I Lie to You?
    I Love You, Phillip Morris 70805_gal

But if you get into the absurdity of this con man and how he actually got over on the rubes so many times, you see the humor in it. Ultimately tho, this true story involves a guy who was a genius but compulsive con man who did keep getting caught.

Busted Again
    I Love You, Phillip Morris 70806_gal

But the story for me was the love portrayed between Russell and Morris - Perhaps originally a love of convenience but one that grew and engulfed both of them.

Prison "Cellmates"
    I Love You, Phillip Morris 7406_gal

And gotta say, even tho Carey was a bit too kinetic and conniving as Russell to sympathize with, McGregor portrayed Morris as the sweetest, most gullible guy looking for a strong, protective lover that I just wanted to whisk him away and hold him in my arms. But there were tender moments shown at times and both actors made the relationship look real.

Convincing Couple
    I Love You, Phillip Morris 10511_gal

Overall I enjoyed this movie. I can relate to an all encompassing love affair that bonds two people, even if one of them is a bit over the top and thrives on risk.

(I Love You Jim Hewitt)
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

I Love You, Phillip Morris Empty Re: I Love You, Phillip Morris

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:28 pm

A cheesy and boring Hollywood love story. FORGIVENESS MAN
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:31 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:A cheesy and boring Hollywood love story. I Love You, Phillip Morris 147467

Why do you say that?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:04 pm

Tony Marino wrote:
    Forgiveness_Man wrote:A cheesy and boring Hollywood love story. I Love You, Phillip Morris 147467

Why do you say that?
    I read the synopsis! FORGIVENESS MAN
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:17 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:
    Tony Marino wrote:

Why do you say that?
    I read the synopsis! I Love You, Phillip Morris 147467

But you didn't see the movie.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:49 pm

Tony Marino wrote:
    Forgiveness_Man wrote:I read the synopsis! I Love You, Phillip Morris 147467

My first hunches about movies are rarely wrong. I cannot remember the last time I was truly surprised by a movie I thought would be bad that turned out to be good.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:50 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:
    Tony Marino wrote:

My first hunches about movies are rarely wrong. I cannot remember the last time I was truly surprised by a movie I thought would be bad that turned out to be good.

I go by the synopsis just to see if it would interest me, most of the time a movie gets a bad rating and I go see it I end up liking it.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:57 pm

Tony Marino wrote:
    Forgiveness_Man wrote:My first hunches about movies are rarely wrong. I cannot remember the last time I was truly surprised by a movie I thought would be bad that turned out to be good.

I go by the synopsis just to see if it would interest me, most of the time a movie gets a bad rating and I go see it I end up liking it.
    I don't typically go by ratings. I usually go with my gut. If it looks good, I tend to try it out. I am sometimes disappointed but movies I think will be bad usually are.

The title itself screams cheesy lovestory. I despise heterosexual romance stories; why would I somehow tolerate a homosexual one? (Especially one starring an actor I really cannot take very seriously)
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:00 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:
    Tony Marino wrote:

I don't typically go by ratings. I usually go with my gut. If it looks good, I tend to try it out. I am sometimes disappointed but movies I think will be bad usually are.

The title itself screams cheesy lovestory. I despise heterosexual romance stories; why would I somehow tolerate a homosexual one? (Especially one starring an actor I really cannot take very seriously)

Oh you see I like love stories I am a very romantic guy so I like to see romance on the screen whether it be gay or str8 I Love You, Phillip Morris 672400 I Love You, Phillip Morris 56354

What kind of movies do you enjoy my little brother?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:11 pm

Tony Marino wrote:
    Forgiveness_Man wrote:I don't typically go by ratings. I usually go with my gut. If it looks good, I tend to try it out. I am sometimes disappointed but movies I think will be bad usually are.

Oh you see I like love stories I am a very romantic guy so I like to see romance on the screen whether it be gay or str8 I Love You, Phillip Morris 672400 I Love You, Phillip Morris 56354

Nope. I can take some romance as a subplot or even resolution but when the entire movie is one big romance, it's usually not for me.

I enjoy movies with a quality and captivating story. Razz No set rule really; it just has to speak to me.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:13 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:
    Tony Marino wrote:

Nope. I can take some romance as a subplot or even resolution but when the entire movie is one big romance, it's usually not for me.

I enjoy movies with a quality and captivating story. Razz No set rule really; it just has to speak to me.

Like Titanic? That spoke to me.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:15 pm

Tony Marino wrote:Like Titanic? That spoke to me.

To be honest, I never saw it. FORGIVENESS MAN I actually see very few blockbusters. I saw 1 movie in the past two years in the theater, Knowing. FORGIVENESS MAN And before that I hadn't paid for a theater movie in years(just free stuff we've gotten). I'm actually quite picky in movies I actually pay to see. I like good dramas mostly, or comedy that isn't summarized as vulgar garbage. Razz
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:53 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:
    Tony Marino wrote:Like Titanic? That spoke to me.

To be honest, I never saw it. I Love You, Phillip Morris 147467 I actually see very few blockbusters. I saw 1 movie in the past two years in the theater, Knowing. I Love You, Phillip Morris 147467 And before that I hadn't paid for a theater movie in years(just free stuff we've gotten). I'm actually quite picky in movies I actually pay to see. I like good dramas mostly, or comedy that isn't summarized as vulgar garbage. Razz

I am not that big on Comedy but Titanic said to me never go on a maiden voyage on a cruise ship!

I Love You, Phillip Morris 372971
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:55 pm

^^^^I didn't need no movie to tell me that.

I liked movies like Changeling, Knowing, 12 and Holding, and Reservation Road. I'm a drama guy I guess. But I like good comedy too.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:58 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:^^^^I didn't need no movie to tell me that.

I liked movies like Changeling, Knowing, 12 and Holding, and Reservation Road. I'm a drama guy I guess. But I like good comedy too.

I saw "The Town" late last night that was pretty good except for the ending which sucked. I can go for some comedy, suspense, but my genre is Horror all the way!
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:00 pm

Tony Marino wrote:
    Forgiveness_Man wrote:^^^^I didn't need no movie to tell me that.

I saw "The Town" late last night that was pretty good except for the ending which sucked. I can go for some comedy, suspense, but my genre is Horror all the way!

The Town seemed to me a plot better handled in my hands. FORGIVENESS MAN

I don't do horror, although I did want to see the horror movie, Home Movie, with Shane's actor in it as some crazy kid. FORGIVENESS MAN (You like horror? You might be appealed to Blood Chain then. It's as close to horror as I ever did. FORGIVENESS MAN)
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:55 am

I don't watch too much of any award show but I heard Ricky Gervais caused a flap at the Golden Globes so I found a clip of his monologue

"Also not nominated: I Love You, Philip Morris. Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor. Two heterosexual actors pretending to be gay. Sort of the complete opposite of some famous Scientologists then...My lawyers helped me with the wording of that joke."

It's been reported he won't be hosting next year. I don't know if this is a case of "biting the hand that feeds you" or the title of TCC's joke thread.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:44 am