CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Offbeat Oddity
Nhaiyel
CeCe
Nystyle709
Tony Marino
Chris
10 posters

Do you purchase product protection plans (extended warranties)?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Do you purchase product protection plans (extended warranties)? Empty Do you purchase product protection plans (extended warranties)?

Post by Chris Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:28 pm

When you're buying something electronic, do you take the store's additional product protection plan that most offer?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Do you purchase product protection plans (extended warranties)? Empty Re: Do you purchase product protection plans (extended warranties)?

Post by Tony Marino Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:30 pm

I did when I bought my refrigerator but it expired last month and I am not going to renew it.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Do you purchase product protection plans (extended warranties)? Empty Re: Do you purchase product protection plans (extended warranties)?

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:21 pm

No. Just another way to get money out of you.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:36 pm

Absolutely. Everytime I don't it's ended up being a regret.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:42 pm

Rarely. The thing I notice about those extended product warranties is that they usually only cover an additional year after the factory warranty expires in approximately three. Electronics are usually built to last a good four years, after which they break on you. So in the end it's not necessarily a good buy.
    Offbeat Oddity
    Offbeat Oddity
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 0

Post by Offbeat Oddity Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:45 pm

No, I usually don't. I just bought a Mac and had an option to buy an extended warranty for $100, but I decided it wasn't worth it, at least not yet. I've had pretty good luck with other computers and Apple products, so I thought it wasn't necessary.

Now, had I spent a little less than I planned for this computer, I would've been more open to purchasing the warranty.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:49 pm

Offbeat Oddity wrote:No, I usually don't. I just bought a Mac and had an option to buy an extended warranty for $100, but I decided it wasn't worth it, at least not yet. I've had pretty good luck with other computers and Apple products, so I thought it wasn't necessary.

Now, had I spent a little less than I planned for this computer, I would've been more open to purchasing the warranty.

On a computer I always buy the extended warranty, I have had instances where something went wrong and I was happy I had purchased the warranty.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:51 pm

For items that are over $500, I do....anything else is a probably not....
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:52 pm

Tony Marino wrote:
    Offbeat Oddity wrote:No, I usually don't. I just bought a Mac and had an option to buy an extended warranty for $100, but I decided it wasn't worth it, at least not yet. I've had pretty good luck with other computers and Apple products, so I thought it wasn't necessary.

On a computer I always buy the extended warranty, I have had instances where something went wrong and I was happy I had purchased the warranty.

That's where I really learned my lesson. Didn't get it on a comp once then of course something major happened--the heat sink FELL OFF. They said it would cost more to fix it than replace it but the EW would have done it at no extra cost.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:55 pm

CeCe wrote:
    Tony Marino wrote:

My motherboard went once and the EW paid for everything. Other little things like DVD players or Digi Cameras or small appliances I would not bother.

That's where I really learned my lesson. Didn't get it on a comp once then of course something major happened--the heat sink FELL OFF. They said it would cost more to fix it than replace it but the EW would have done it at no extra cost.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:37 pm

On things like computers, yeah.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:05 pm

Most of them are ripoff's that you won't probably need in the end, but better safe than sorry. I have had things break down on me as soon as the limited manufactures warranty expired and been SOL because I didn't extend it. If it's not too expensive, I will get the lowest extended protection plan that they offer. Not getting the two and three year plans. Just the one year is fine.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:30 pm

If it's an appliance or electronics item that costs $200 or more, then I will begrudgingly get the product protection plan. Ironically though I hesitate if it's more than $1000, because at that point I'm tapped.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:06 pm