CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

3 posters

I Like Movies

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

I Like Movies Empty I Like Movies

Post by Shale Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:07 pm

I Like Movies
    January 8, 2011

Since December 2005 I have done 244 movie Blurbs.

Last year I did the numbers and found out I've watched an averaging 47 movies a year for the previous four years. Just did the numbers again and found out that over the last year I saw and wrote about 56 movies. I guess I really watch a lot of movies.

With my average movie cost over the years I figured that if I kept a budget there would be $325 a year for movies. So today I got all my old movie stubs and wrote down the amounts of each.

Well, I was over budget in the movie dept. having spent $488.50 on movies in 2010.

That includes seeing Avatar two more times in 3-D and IMAX this year after seeing it twice last December.

But, some ppl blow more than that on a weekend. I guess I got a lot more hours of entertainment for the buck.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

I Like Movies Empty Re: I Like Movies

Post by RedBedroom Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:28 pm

That is pretty interesting Shale. Do you go and just watch the movie, or do you purchase concessions as well? Going to just a movie or so a week is not that bad financially, but it is when people purchase concessions that it gets high.

I don't think that you ever linked us to your movie blog site did you Shale? Or is is private?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:38 pm

RedBedroom wrote:That is pretty interesting Shale. Do you go and just watch the movie, or do you purchase concessions as well? Going to just a movie or so a week is not that bad financially, but it is when people purchase concessions that it gets high.

I don't think that you ever linked us to your movie blog site did you Shale? Or is is private?
    I don't have a movie blog, been posting these blurbs on several different forum boards over the years. Most recent collection is at the Hip Forums.

This is actually an extension of a bigger piece that started a thread a year ago and I explained that I never buy popcorn or drinks, which would be much more than the $7.50 I pay for admission (Senior). I also have a Regal card that gives me the occassional popcorn/drink/free movie. Here's the original thread starter.

I Like Movies
    December 27, 2009

I have been writing my personal Movie Blurbs and posting them on the Web since Brokeback Mountainin December 2005. And, I usually see one movie a week because, well, I like movies - it's my thing. I will see serious drama but my preference is escapism thru romantic comedy or action adventure, usually of the Sci-Fi type.

As of today I have done 187 such Reviews/Blurbs. (That's not counting my Nude Reviews that I did for naturist newsletters in the 1990s)

I recently posted one of my Movie Blurbs for Avatar which I have seen twice already and plan to see again while it runs in theater.

http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=386651&f=287

A reply poster on one site mentioned that they had expended their movie allowance by having seen another movie this month. ONE MOVIE A MONTH !!??

Well, I can understand people on a tight budget, but for me it is a matter of priority. I live an otherwise frugal lifestyle and have very few expenses. Seldom eat at restaurants, don't go to bars, don't smoke ($5 a pack) and do most of my shopping at K-Mart. Plus, I never go to movies at night - always a matinee, which currently runs $8. Even if I did go at night it would still be $7.50 with my senior discount. Oh, I never buy popcorn or drinks, which even the smallest of each would surpass my $7.50 admission.

Still, I watch a lot of movies, averaging 47 a year for the past four years. So, today I got all my old movie stubs that were kept in a cup and threw them out - but first writing down their amounts.

I don't make a budget but if I did it would have to be $325 a year for movies. Yes, over the last four years I have spent $1,296.50 on movies. (2006, $311.50; 2007, $285; 2008, $322.25; 2009, $377.75) The annual increases were due to rising prices even in the senior rate from $6.50 in '06 to the current $7.50.

As I said, I plan to see Avatar again. Sometimes I see movies more than once in theater. Star Trek alone cost me $37.25 for the five times I saw it in theaters around the country (3X in Miami + Wash. DC & St. Louis).

http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=362541&f=287

Oh, the two-disc Star Trek DVD cost me another $26. Which brings me to another movie expense, my collection of 415 DVD's, most bought used for about $5 to $10 but some of which I pay the premium price when they first come out, like I will with Avatar.

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:00 pm

Oh, I see. For some reason, I thought you had your own blog dedicated to new release reviews.
    JWF
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 4

Post by JWF Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:13 pm

Here's a list of the number of films I've seen in theaters, since 2005. This does not include those films I've seen two and three times (usually the top 10 films each year). It also does not include any film I've seen for the first time on a DVD, Pay-per-View or Cable:

2005--107
    2006--121
    2007---91
    2008---89
    2009---86
    2010--85

Total 6 years---579 Movies

I've been keeping records since 2003. I've written reviews on most of these films (mostly other sites). I only recently joined Chambers.

I may have an advantage, since I live in NY. I have access to most Foreign and Indie films. Personally, I feel Foreign films are much better.

It might be interest to trade our top 5 films since 2005

Best regards,

Jack

PS: there are 14 films on my must see list...for 2010....which are still in theaters. This week I plan on seeing "Blue Valentine", "Rabbit Hole" and "Another Year".

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:37 am