CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

4 posters

Double Standards

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Double Standards Empty Double Standards

Post by Marc™ Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:14 am

How do you feel about seemingly allowable double standards?

Example:
    • Women making sexist comments toward men.
    • Black being cynical about white people.
    • Gay people being heterophobic.
    • Fat people being mocking skinny people.

Is it equally as offensive as the reverse....or does the other side have it so easy that they should be able to withstand some of the mockery that they've inflicted on these groups who now sometimes lash out at them?
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Double Standards Empty Re: Double Standards

Post by Chris Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:24 am

It isn't right to disparage anyone for who or what they are, and it is a double standard, but let's be honest: a woman making a sexist comment towards a man, a black person speaking ill of white people, a gay person being salty about straight people, or an overweight person criticizing a someone's being skinny holds significantly less impact than the reversal. They're criticizing things that the other person is usually celebrated/privileged for (and most likely it's out of the frustration that they have felt for being treated less than for not being these things themselves), and thus their negativity has less sting and power to degrade.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:20 pm

Marc™️ wrote:How do you feel about seemingly allowable double standards?

Example:
    • Gay people being heterophobic.

Gay men are not exempt from being out-and-out bitches.

Try being in a gay male gathering and mention that you are bi. I have been chastised for "lording it over them" for "feeling superior to them" and for "not admitting that I am gay."

But, I'm gay enuf to get back at them. I usually just tell them how I must be bi because I enjoyed so much eating my wife's pussy - then go into great detail of my technique with fingers and tongue, textures and smells. Did I Say That?
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:35 pm

Chris wrote:It isn't right to disparage anyone for who or what they are, and it is a double standard, but let's be honest: a woman making a sexist comment towards a man, a black person speaking ill of white people, a gay person being salty about straight people, or an overweight person criticizing a someone's being skinny holds significantly less impact than the reversal. They're criticizing things that the other person is usually celebrated/privileged for (and most likely it's out of the frustration that they have felt for being treated less than for not being these things themselves), and thus their negativity has less sting and power to degrade.
    co-signs

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:31 am