CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+9
TSJFan4Ever
RedBedroom
Alan Smithee
GrayWolf
Shale
Chris
tmontyb
RobbieFTW
femme fatale
13 posters

Black Out's - What do you do during them?

femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Black Out's - What do you do during them? Empty Black Out's - What do you do during them?

Post by femme fatale Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:50 am

When was the last time you experienced a "Black out" and when your electricity goes down and you're w/o power, what do you? Last time it happened to me was last spring. I think it was just a down local wire because the whole two mi radius surrounding my house was dark. It always happens during the spring or summer, so I'll usually go stretch out on my back porch, with my iPod or cellphone.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Black Out's - What do you do during them? Empty Re: Black Out's - What do you do during them?

Post by RobbieFTW Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:14 am

Last time we had a blackout was Sept. I remember I didn't get home from work til around 11pm, so I was tired. Think I just went to bed. Usually tho (specially if it's summer) I will go outside with a pillow and chill in my car, listen to the radio.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Black Out's - What do you do during them? Empty Re: Black Out's - What do you do during them?

Post by tmontyb Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:17 am

During the NYC black out of 1977, I was at Coney Island with family members. It was fun and scary at the same time. We had to make our way back to Manhattan on foot and the looters were out in force. Luckily we found a cab that was will to take us across the bridge. When I got home I just went to bed and sometime in the morning the light came back on.
    femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Post by femme fatale Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:19 am

tmontyb wrote:During the NYC black out of 1977, I was at Coney Island with family members. It was fun and scary at the same time. We had to make our way back to Manhattan on foot and the looters were out in force. Luckily we found a cab that was will to take us across the bridge. When I got home I just went to bed and sometime in the morning the light came back on.

I heard about that infamous black out in NY in 1977. Wasn't that also at the same time of the whole "Son of Sam" murders? That had to be scary if it was.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:25 am

femme fatale wrote:
    tmontyb wrote:During the NYC black out of 1977, I was at Coney Island with family members. It was fun and scary at the same time. We had to make our way back to Manhattan on foot and the looters were out in force. Luckily we found a cab that was will to take us across the bridge. When I got home I just went to bed and sometime in the morning the light came back on.

I heard about that infamous black out in NY in 1977. Wasn't that also at the same time of the whole "Son of Sam" murders? That had to be scary if it was.

Yes, that was exactly the time. I was 12 at the time and I really didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it until they started plastering his hideous face all over the paper. He just looked insane.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:10 am

Light a candle and basically just chill out in bed. If I have someone to call, I do. Other than that, I just stretch out. During the infamous 2003 blackout, I lit a candle, found a pen and paper and just wrote things out I wanted to do. I think blackout's are God's way of forcing people to take a minute out to ponder a little more thoroughly. Last one we had was I think two years ago, a down power line.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:54 pm

We don't have blackouts down here, but the hurricanes knockout electricity quite often.

Hurricane Wilma in 2005 knocked out lights in both counties, putting us in total darkness. Luckily it was November and cool - and as usual after a hurricane, clear skies. It was beautiful being able to see all the stars from my balcony. Something that is seldom visible in a big metropolitan area.

I have a kerosene lamp and gas stove. Living without electricity is a mild inconvenience. Oh and that old fashioned landline phone that I have - comes in handy when the cell towers are knocked out. I could call other ppl with landline phones. Sometimes low tech is better.
    GrayWolf
    GrayWolf
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 36

Post by GrayWolf Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:53 pm

I usually hang out on my porch with friends, neighbors or whoever.
    Last time we had a blackout around here was a year ago.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:35 pm

sex

...that and walk into a room and flip the light switch even though I know the light won't work. Try not to open the refrigerator too much.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:47 pm

I get very antsy and light candles.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:03 am

Light a candle, grab a flashlight and wait for the lights to come back on. They usually do pretty quickly where I am, as there are a whole bunch of apartment buildings and a strip mall and other businesses really close to where I am. I'm also close to a busy intersection, so power is usually on again within half an hour..
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:11 am

I don't really do much during them. Grab a flashlight or light a candle, and try to be patient enough to wait it out. Power outages make me think about all the things I could be doing if the electricity were on, and put me on edge. You're almost at the mercy of them.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

Post by Chris Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:54 pm

We had a blackout here about three weeks ago. It lasted from six in the afternoon until about twelve thirty the next morning. I went over to my girlfriends place (she had power.)
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:18 pm

It was in January of 2004. I wasn't living in NY at the time and there was this ice storm that came thru the South. NOBODY had power. No heat, no nothing. Talk about miserable. There was pretty much nothing you could do except wait it out. I remember trying to sleep and couldn't because inside the house was colder than outside. My aunt had a fireplace so later on, I went over there to warm up.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:29 pm

If it's later in the day, I just turn in early.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

Post by Chris Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:07 am

Marc™ wrote:If it's later in the day, I just turn in early.

Me too. If I'm at home, and there's no power, then after say ten o'clock at night, I just go to sleep and hope that by the time I wake up the power is back on.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:12 am

just chill, not much you can.. and like marc/chris said above, if its late, i'll got to bed

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 12:15 am