CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+8
Tony Marino
MandyPerfumeGirl
Cheaps
RedBedroom
Shale
Nystyle709
Alan Smithee
Supernova
12 posters

Unpopular, ignored, and forgotten movies that you like

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Unpopular, ignored, and forgotten movies that you like Empty Unpopular, ignored, and forgotten movies that you like

Post by Supernova Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:32 am

What are some movies you've seen that they weren't a success by any means when they came out and today it seems like there might be a grand total of 5 people in the whole world who remember them, that you liked and would recommend to people?

First off, Paper Man from 1971, with Dean Stockwell. If anybody on here knows this movie, I will be genuinely surprised. A concept that seems very ahead of its time. It's about these students at a college where everything is hooked up to one computer system: lights, elevators, security system, even the students' equipment like a 'living' med-school dummy who's programmed to have symptoms and even die. Five of the students make a phony account to get a credit card, and then the school's computer starts killing them off one by one: prints up a medical report that a boy who has low blood sugar needs insulin, a girl who the elevator she's on stops between floors and when she's halfway out, the elevator sets itself to go back down to the last floor. A very creepy movie, and in my opinion very good, but not very mainstream, I found it on a pack of 100 crime/mystery movies.

Big Man on Campus (1989): Does anybody here remember Bob Maloogaloogaloogaloogalooga? Didn't think so, but damn he's hilarious to watch. He is a modern hunchback who lives in the clock tower with his mouse, Mocha, eats nothing but chocolate, and he tends to bounce bananas. He's discovered and suddenly becomes the subject of an experiment conducted by a professor and two college students to make him an intellectual member of society. VERY good movie, has a LOT of very good quotes. One I love, when they're doing word association, he picks up various objects, names them and their uses and drops them, 'Chair, sit on chair *drops chair*, pencil, draw *mimes drawing*, telephone, call, 411 for information, 911 for help, 976 for good time!'

Murder By Invitation (1941) Very good whodunnit. Sara Padden, I love her performance here as Cassandra Denham, whose relatives are trying to have her declared incompetent and put in the booby hatch so they can get her 3 million dollars. But she's too smart for that, the courts declare her sane, and she invites them all for a week-stay in her home so she can study them like lab rats and pick the one worthiest person of her fortune. But before that can be determined, somebody starts killing the relatives off one by one, and tied into the shenannigans are a reporter, his assistant, and his photographer. A great crime comedy.

The Legend of Billie Jean (1985) Pat Benetar calls this the worst movie ever made, and she did the soundtrack theme for it. I disagree, I fell in love with this movie upon first viewing, apparently it didn't do so well in its time which is odd because it seems to be an MTV market thing that the teenaged group was supposed to be blown away by but they weren't, but it's still a great movie with Helen Slater, Christian Slater (no relation) and their friends who mistakingly become wanted outlaws when they try to collect the money on a damaged motor scooter, and the adults want to see them locked up for shooting the man they went to collect from, but the teenagers want to see them get the money as Billie Jean Davy becomes a sensation all throughout Texas.

Shag (1989) with Phoebe Cates and Bridget Fonda: Set in 1963, follows the last weekend together adventures of four girls who will soon be off to college or marriage or Hollywood who run away to Mrytle Beach and break into one of the girl's parents' beach house. In my opinion a very good movie and apparently with some it's kind of a cult classic, they all know all the lines and everything.

Crazy in Alabama (1999) Why does nobody remember this movie with Melanie Griffith? A dual story movie about freedom, Griffith is an abused 60's housewife who has left her husband in the most unusual way, she cut off his head, but the kicker is she's taking it with her as she goes to Hollywood to become a TV star. At the same time, her nephew in Alabama gets involved in the Civil Rights movement when he is the only witness to the town's bigot sheriff killing a black boy at the public pool.

Those are a few for now, I'll put up more later on as I remember them, but how about everyone else?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Unpopular, ignored, and forgotten movies that you like Empty Re: Unpopular, ignored, and forgotten movies that you like

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:36 pm

A few:

The Last Star Fighter (1984)
    Lifeboat (1944)
    Stranger Than Fiction (2006)
    Southern Comfort (1981)
    Three O'Clock High (1987)
    Into the Night (1985)
    Lone Star (1996)
    Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987)
    Meatballs (1979)
    Roxanne (1987)
    L.A. Story (1991)
    Pleasantville (1998)
    A Big Hand for the Little Lady (1966)
    Outland (1981)
    Up In Smoke (1978)
    Rope (1948)
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Unpopular, ignored, and forgotten movies that you like Empty Re: Unpopular, ignored, and forgotten movies that you like

Post by Supernova Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:41 pm

Oh I LOVE Rope, it's one of my favorite Alfred Hitchcock movies and I have very few favorites of his, though I do like most of his work.

Another of his that seems to fit on this list: The Man Who Knew Too Much, NOT the 1950s with James Stewart and Doris Day 'whatever will be' version, no, I mean the original 1934 with Peter Lorre. It's an excellent movie, and for being so very serious and mysterious it's also very funny in places, and I LOVE the ending, it has an excellent ending. WHY this version is so often overlooked for the 50's remake, I'll never know.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:55 am

Just Another Girl on the I.R.T.
    I Like It Like That
    Masquerade
    Fresh

I'll think of more later......
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:31 pm

Roxanne (1987)

Now those can't be too forgotten or unpopular, because I not only enjoyed them in theater but have them on DVD.

Has anyone seen El Topo? Sort of a mystical Western from 1970 made in Mexico. I saw it in theater and it was quite popular with the counter-culture crowd. Got it on DVD also and it still is interesting.

Speaking of Mexican films, I really enjoyed Y Tu Mama Tambien with Gael Garcia Barnal when he was quite young. He plays a chulo with a teen friend who take a road trip with this 30-something woman and discover a bit of life.

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:24 pm

alan smithee wrote:A few:

Lifeboat (1944)
    Southern Comfort (1981)
    Three O'Clock High (1987)
    Into the Night (1985)
    Lone Star (1996)
    Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987)
    Meatballs (1979)
    Roxanne (1987)
    L.A. Story (1991)
    Pleasantville (1998)
    A Big Hand for the Little Lady (1966)
    Outland (1981)
    Up In Smoke (1978)
    Rope (1948)

I totally agree on Pleasantville! That is a great movie!
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:25 am

Nystyle709 wrote:Just Another Girl on the I.R.T.
    I Like It Like That
    Masquerade
    Fresh

i used to love i like it like that, Smile havent seen it in awhile tho.

i remember seeing fresh but dont remember too much, is it sorta like that movie, South Central?

never seen Masquearde, and i seen Just another girl.. but didnt like the chic in the lead role, she had one hell of a mouth on her.

....as for me and my movies? i just seen this movie called Wisegirls wit Mira Sorvino and Mariah Carey. i liked it, it was pretty good.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:41 pm

A Boy and His Dog (1975)
    Being There (1979)
    Repo Man (1984)
    Night On Earth (1991)
    Four Rooms (1995) Half of it anyway
    Brazil (1985)
    Touch of Evil (1958)
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female

Post by Cheaps Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:17 am

urban cowboy
    old enough
    the cutting edge

hhmmm thats all i can think of for now..
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:40 pm

Here's a few forgotten ones that come to mind:

1. You Were Never Lovelier
    2. Key Largo
    3. The Man with the Golden Arm
    4. Suddenly
    5. The Detective (the original, with Sinatra)
    6. Come Back, Little Sheba
    7. Double Indemnity
    8. Sabrina (the original, with Bogie)
    9. Rebecca
    10. Top Hat
    11. High Noon
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:58 pm

MandyPerfumeGirl wrote:Here's a few forgotten ones that come to mind:

1. You Were Never Lovelier
    2. Key Largo
    3. The Man with the Golden Arm
    4. Suddenly5. The Detective (the original, with Sinatra)
    6. Come Back, Little Sheba
    7. Double Indemnity
    8. Sabrina (the original, with Bogie)
    9. Rebecca
    10. Top Hat
    11. High Noon

Ooh, Frank played the villain! That didn't happen often did it?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:31 pm

Oh yes! I had forgotten about Suddenly! That's one of my favorite movies. Yes he did play the villain, a hit man going to shoot the president when he stops in the small town of Suddenly. I LOVE that movie, but hardly anybody ever knows about it anymore. And one thing I've noticed, no matter WHAT version of the DVD you get, it still cuts out a segment when his character Baron is talking to the mother in the kitchen, it's only on the VHS tape that you can see that full part, I don't know why.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:28 pm

cheaps wrote:
    Nystyle709 wrote:Just Another Girl on the I.R.T.
    I Like It Like That
    Masquerade
    Fresh

i used to love i like it like that, Smile havent seen it in awhile tho.

i remember seeing fresh but dont remember too much, is it sorta like that movie, South Central?

It's ten times better than South Central. But kinda sorta.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:31 pm

Shale wrote:The Last Star Fighter (1984)

Roxanne (1987)

Now those can't be too forgotten or unpopular, because I not only enjoyed them in theater but have them on DVD.

Has anyone seen El Topo? Sort of a mystical Western from 1970 made in Mexico. I saw it in theater and it was quite popular with the counter-culture crowd. Got it on DVD also and it still is interesting.

Speaking of Mexican films, I really enjoyed Y Tu Mama Tambien with Gael Garcia Barnal when he was quite young. He plays a chulo with a teen friend who take a road trip with this 30-something woman and discover a bit of life.

I saw Y Tu Mama Tambien a few years ago, it was listed as a gay movie so when it was on I watched it. It had english subtitles I believe but it was worth watching.

Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:31 am

The Limey
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:47 pm

The Prophecy
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:48 pm

About Last Night (1986)
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:24 pm

Hopscotch (1980)
    Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970)
    The Andromeda Strain (1971)
    The Uninvited (1944)
    Lucky Number Slevin (2006)
    Mystery Train (1989)
    BubbaHo-Tep (2002)
    Being There (1979)
    Gizmo (1979)
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female

Post by Cheaps Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:11 am

RedBedroom wrote:About Last Night (1986)

love this movie Smile
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female

Post by Cheaps Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:11 am

love this movie Smile
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:01 am

I forgot this was a David Mamet play (American Buffalo, Glengarry Glen Ross), "Sexual Perversity in Chicago". Say, Red. No wonder you say you love Chicago! Wink

Another for my list. Dinner Rush (2000)
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:52 am

Alan, we have a six degrees of William Macy going on between us this weekend...he was in Sexual Perversity in Chicago. BTW, I am obsessed right now in finding Door to Door! I peeked on IMDb and there are tear jerker threads there and I so want to see it, I am tempted to pay for it on Ebay.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:28 pm

Red, did you check out the one link I posted? They had it for less than $12. Don't know about S&H. You're so right about W.H.M. I watched him again last night in Mystery Men (he's The Shoveler). He delivers one of my favorite lines of all time. "We've got a blind date with destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster." I'll take a chance and recommend another movie to you. He has a small role and it's set in Chicago. Jerry and Tom starring Joe Mantegna as used car salesman/hit man, Tom and Sam Rockwell as his young protege, Jerry. I'd call it a black comedy. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120867/
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female

Post by Cheaps Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:52 pm

She's the one
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:00 am

Pornography: A Thriller
    Who's That Girl
    Stepping Out
    Solo Sunny
    When I'm 64

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 8:35 am