CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

2 posters

Blue Valentine

JWF
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 4

Blue Valentine Empty Blue Valentine

Post by JWF Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:57 pm

If your planning on getting married you may not want to see "Blue Valentine". A harsh and upsetting look about a marriage break-up. Do couples change and grow apart? Can you fall out of love for no apparent reason?

We follow Dean (Ryan Gosling) and Cindy (Michelle Williams) over a six year period.... at the beginning of their relationship...... and at the painful end. As the story switches between past and present we learn about who they are.

This is not your standard Hollywood melodrama. A character driven film that does not assume to understand the causes behind the break-up. It's about human behavior and connection.

Terrific convincing performances from the two leads. Both have been nominated for Golden Globes

A-

Jack
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Blue Valentine Empty Re: Blue Valentine

Post by Shale Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:15 pm

Blue Valentine
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    January 14, 2011

I just saw this movie today and still processing it. When you have history as I have, there were a lot of scenes here that spoke to me - and they weren't all pleasurable.

I really don't care for movies like this. I like escapism and this was too much like life. I only went to it because now and then I will take in an excellent, well made movie just for the experience - no matter how realistic and unpleasant.

This movie was well received by critics and audiences. It follows the failing marriage of Dean (Ryan Gosling) a blue-collar, high school drop out, who is laid back and easy going and Cindy (Michelle Williams) a more serious and ambitious nurse. We see that they are mismatched, except for the six years they have been together with their daughter (Faith Wladyka). The scene then jumps to the past, where Dean has more hair and they both look so much younger.

Dean & Cindy Happier Times
    Blue Valentine 71447_gal

That is how the movie works; a scene of the present strife of an out of love married couple, then a scene of those moments of overpowering new love that brot them together. All done in such a normal and realistic way that you sometimes feel you are part of their life. Whether the circumstances are the same or not, many of us have been thru that exhilarating new love and subsequent changes that see that love fade.

I had read the background about how Screenwriter/Director, Derek Cianfrance got some of that realism. Like the bridge scene, in which he instructed Williams not to give the scenes secret to Gosling and told Gosling to keep at it until you get the secret. The scene on a New York bridge went on in impasse until Gosling climbs up on the guard rail and is about to be hanging over water when Williams to tell him what she was hiding. That scene was unrehearsed - it was real, like the scene in the trailer where Dean is on a first date with Cindy and he sings a song to which she dances. Again, Cianfrance had them just walk around while he filmed and instructed both to surprise each other. It was a spontaneous moment that made the movie. Also, both actors were put in an apartment to live together for a month to get them into characters who couldn't stand each other.

BTW, there are a couple of very convincing sex scenes in this movie that almost got it an NC-17 rating but they argued it down to an R.

It was a good movie - if you are in the mood for a little unpleasant reality.

Last edited by Shale on Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More Info)
    JWF
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 4

Post by JWF Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:24 pm

I'm bewildered! How is it Michele Williams receives an Oscar nomination, but Mr. Ryan Gosling is overlooked. Anyone?

Jack
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:47 pm

JWF wrote:
    I'm bewildered! How is it Michele Williams receives an Oscar nomination, but Mr. Ryan Gosling is overlooked. Anyone?

Jack
    I have no idea.

IDK if anyone has an idea how the Academy thinks. Maybe they couldn't figure out who was the lead and who was supporting. blank stare @ you

They both did excellent performances but I tended to relate to Gosling's character more.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 8:23 pm