CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

2 posters

A Cat and the Canary kind of will

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

A Cat and the Canary kind of will Empty A Cat and the Canary kind of will

Post by Supernova Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:19 pm

I was thinking about this the other night. Several years ago I saw the 1927 silent mystery movie The cat and the Canary, and a couple years later I read the original play, I really ought to see the movie again, but I digress.

I'm not sure if anybody here's familiar with it, but in the story, an old rich man dies, and all of his heirs are hoping to inherit the fortune, but the kick in the head is the will will NOT be read until 20 years after the anniversary of the day he died...now, I find this a VERY interesting idea, and I wonder if anybody has actually tried this in real life. You gotta admit, if you thought your relatives were all a bunch of blood suckers just waiting for you to kick off so they could inherit, that would probably fix them so they weren't in as big a hurry since they'd be middle aged to old aged by the time they finally got the money.

What do you think? Do you think anybody's ever done it or do you think you'd do it if you wanted to be spiteful to your children and whoever else?
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

A Cat and the Canary kind of will Empty Re: A Cat and the Canary kind of will

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:16 pm

I have to admit it's a pretty unusual idea! Sounds like an interesting movie, I must say. I've never actually heard of anyone doing this, but out of the things that have been tried I'm sure someone has done it somewhere. As for me, I don't think I'd postpone leaving my children/relatives/friends money, I think I'd just say in my will "Here's the dough, have fun!" I think I'd do that even if I knew they were blood-suckers - after all, I'm dead, so I probably wouldn't care!
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:35 pm

Thing of it is you wouldn't want to get the impression that your family knowing they'd get your money as soon as you croaked might be tempting them to hurry you along, that's the only thing. Even today you hear about a lot of people who murder their spouses, parents, children, etc., for money, either what's in the estate or for the life insurance policy, so you'd have to kind of wonder.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 3:16 am