CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

3 posters

Soylent Green

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Soylent Green Empty Soylent Green

Post by Supernova Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:07 pm

Has anybody seen this movie?

It wasn't a great one but it was good and a HELL of a lot better than the book Make Room! Make Room! that it was based on.

However I think this is one of those movies from the 70s that should be left in that era, but noooooooooooooooo! This too is being subjected to a remake, I shudder to think what this new one's going to be like.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Soylent Green Empty Re: Soylent Green

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:22 pm

I thought it was very poignant that Edward G. Robinson’s final scene in the movie was his final scene ever. He knew he was dying of cancer and passed a short time after the movie was finished. What must it be like to "act" as a dying man when you know that very soon you'll be one for real? Charlton Heston later said he was crying for real in that scene.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:48 pm

He died I think 2 days after that scene, and 2 days seems to come up quite a bit with actors, Jerry Orbach played Lennie Briscoe on Law and Order for the last time TWO days before he died also, what's up with that?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:04 pm

I don't know about Jerry Orbach but I believe E.G.R passed closer to 2 weeks (10-12 days) after Soylent Green finished.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:30 pm

I can't remember much about the movie but when you think about feeding huge masses of overpopulation, Soylent Green is a good concept. I always thot taking dead ppl (not killing them) and converting to food was a good idea.

Look at all the wasted land in cemeteries and the pollution of cremation. Not to mention that there is a great protein source here just going to waste. Recycling was a new concept back in the '70s but this would be the ultimate.

However, this movie was made before the discovery of prions and the fact that cannibalism even when reducing ppl to amino acids can be bad for your health, such as with mad cow disease and its human counterparts. blank stare @ you

So, plan B. Drop every dead person into the Methane Generator Tank. Great source of renewable fuel. big grin
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:33 pm

I also can't see a remake being any good because guess what? WE ALREADY KNOW THE SECRET! Soylent Green is PEOPLE! How are they going to expand on that so we'll feel the urge to see a redoing of it? I doubt they will, that's one of the reasons the remake of When a Stranger Calls sucked so bad, because everybody has heard the story of the babysitter and the man upstairs and they never bothered to expand on it like the original movie did so you didn't know the outcome before you went into the theaters.

And exactly what could they do with this big secret that Thorn spends the whole movie trying to figure out, that it won't be something we see coming? For him to die before he can tell anyone the secret and he gets turned into Soylent Green too? If I can come up with that one, you would hope Hollywood would know better than to try it in the hopes of nobody will expect it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:27 am