CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
RobbieFTW
CeCe
stonestatic
Supernova
Alan Smithee
Chris
10 posters

Buying American

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Buying American Empty Buying American

Post by Chris Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:24 am

Do you think that it is important to 'Buy American,' and do you seek out American made products over those that are manufactured overseas?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Buying American Empty Re: Buying American

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:49 am

If given a choice (in a store), I would try to "Buy American" unless the price difference was cost prohibitive. The problem is trying to find something made in the U.S. that you can take to the cash register. To answer your question, Chris, yes I do think it's important that we support U.S. manufacturing jobs.

http://www.americansworking.com/clothingmens.html

Anyone old enough besides Shale and me to remember these commercials?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:12 am

As much as possible I do. Like Alan said, it would have to still be in a reasonable price range.
    stonestatic
    stonestatic
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 24

Post by stonestatic Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:41 am

I buy based on quality. Couldn't care less what country of origin it is from. If American-owned companies want to compete with overseas, then they will build their products with as much precision and benefit as their Japanese or European competitors. My money isn't "patriotic," it's for my own convenience.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:13 pm

If you can actually find something made in the US. It's a long way from what a lot of us grew up with when the US was a leading manufacturer. But the most important thing for me is quality. If the product made in the US is a good quality & fairly priced, I'll buy it over an import. But it's happening a lot less often these days.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:20 pm

The problem w/ "Buying American" is that "American" COSTS MORE and ain't as good.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:39 pm

Robbie, I agree that "made in America" sometimes costs more but that's because the companies who still manufacture goods in this country pay their employees a living wage. I disagree, though, that "made in America" is synonymous with “cheap piece of shit”. You're probably too young to remember when "made in Japan" was synonomous with "cheap piece of shit". You have to read the labels. Not everything marketed under an "American" name is an American made product.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:29 pm

stonestatic wrote:I buy based on quality. Couldn't care less what country of origin it is from. If American-owned companies want to compete with overseas, then they will build their products with as much precision and benefit as their Japanese or European competitors. My money isn't "patriotic," it's for my own convenience.

Buying American 35166 . There is a reason why America doesn't export as much as they import. As far as electronics and cars go........NE-VER buy American. However, there a few things that America manufactures that are of good quality. I can't think of any off hand, but I'm sure there are.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:36 pm

alan smithee wrote:Robbie, I agree that "made in America" sometimes costs more but that's because the companies who still manufacture goods in this country pay their employees a living wage. I disagree, though, that "made in America" is synonymous with “cheap piece of shit”. You're probably too young to remember when "made in Japan" was synonomous with "cheap piece of shit". You have to read the labels. Not everything marketed under an "American" name is an American made product.

That's true. Take for example the Big Three. GM, Ford, Chrysler all paid their employees considerably more for working in their plants than Toyota or Honda. However when you really look at it, why do they get paid more? Is it because American uses cheaper and quality inferior products for their vehicles, therefore they have the money to pay them more? I mean, I think there should be room for everybody, but I also think this economy just made people aware of how they need to spend their money wisely. If you're going to spend 20k on a car, I would think you'd want to spend 20k on something that's going to last for 20+ years and for something that you're not going to have to keep putting money into.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:35 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:
    alan smithee wrote:Robbie, I agree that "made in America" sometimes costs more but that's because the companies who still manufacture goods in this country pay their employees a living wage. I disagree, though, that "made in America" is synonymous with “cheap piece of shit”. You're probably too young to remember when "made in Japan" was synonomous with "cheap piece of shit". You have to read the labels. Not everything marketed under an "American" name is an American made product.

That's true. Take for example the Big Three. GM, Ford, Chrysler all paid their employees considerably more for working in their plants than Toyota or Honda. However when you really look at it, why do they get paid more? Is it because American uses cheaper and quality inferior products for their vehicles, therefore they have the money to pay them more? I mean, I think there should be room for everybody, but I also think this economy just made people aware of how they need to spend their money wisely. If you're going to spend 20k on a car, I would think you'd want to spend 20k on something that's going to last for 20+ years and for something that you're not going to have to keep putting money into.

Maybe there's something to that...I don't know. I think the main reason the U.S. auto industry in particular fell behind Japan was because they got too fat and lazy. I completely agree that if I’m going to pay thousands of my dollars, I’m going to look out for me first too.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:50 pm

I'm for whatever works, whether it be American or not.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:18 pm

I'll buy American...but not at the expense of quality, adequate customer service or significantly higher prices.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:17 pm

stonestatic wrote:I buy based on quality. Couldn't care less what country of origin it is from. If American-owned companies want to compete with overseas, then they will build their products with as much precision and benefit as their Japanese or European competitors. My money isn't "patriotic," it's for my own convenience.

This.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 27, 2024 9:16 pm