CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
TPP
Marc™
RobbieFTW
Nystyle709
Supernova
Alan Smithee
Chris
11 posters

Boarding schools

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Boarding schools Empty Boarding schools

Post by Chris Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:34 am

What's your opinion of boarding schools? Is it a form of child neglect, in your opinion?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Boarding schools Empty Re: Boarding schools

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:03 am

Neglect might be too strong depending on the circumstance of the kid’s enrollment. If the parents are trying to give an older child (12 years old and up) think they’re giving their kid a better education and aren't just sick of looking at him…ehh, OK. Regardless, if the kid’s 4, why bother having him if you didn’t want him around? Hire a real good tutor.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:09 am

Yeah I think it's just basically saying you don't want your kid otherwise you would be greatly bothered by the fact that they're not home the majority of the year.

I've been reading a book on women from 60s TV, and they all have several things in common, quite a few of them went to private/boarding whatever kind of school, one of them the people in charge took away her name and gave her another one, another woman, was really little at the time, they took her dolls away from her when she got ready for bed, others got hit, some of them seemed to agree that it's no place to send kids.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:01 pm

alan smithee wrote:Neglect might be too strong depending on the circumstance of the kid’s enrollment. If the parents are trying to give an older child (12 years old and up) think they’re giving their kid a better education and aren't just sick of looking at him…ehh, OK. Regardless, if the kid’s 4, why bother having him if you didn’t want him around? Hire a real good tutor.

Boarding schools 35166
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:07 pm

Boarding schools are basically handing your kid over for someone else to raise. I think most the time its about getting the kids out of their hair. . . plus the "better" education. Agree with Alan if parents can't deal with having them around ALL the time then they shouldn't have them.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:32 pm

If your child grows up in boarding school, then how are you bonding with and carving out any kind of decent relationship with then? It's like a nanny who raises the kids, but more extreme.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:34 pm

For older kids (teenagers) I think they can be good. For little kids, no way. That's just sad sad
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:38 pm

And it just burns me up the people who actually defend putting their kids in them, 'oh they have such a great experience, oh they learn so much they couldn't at home', so you want your child to be a glorified orphan so they can get cultured? Freddie Mercury once spoke of being in boarding school and he got it on both ends, from the students AND the teachers, oh yeah that's a nice experience, EVERYBODY has it in for them and they can't come home at the end of the day, yeah every child should be so blessed.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:54 pm

Supernova wrote:And it just burns me up the people who actually defend putting their kids in them, 'oh they have such a great experience, oh they learn so much they couldn't at home', so you want your child to be a glorified orphan so they can get cultured? Freddie Mercury once spoke of being in boarding school and he got it on both ends, from the students AND the teachers, oh yeah that's a nice experience, EVERYBODY has it in for them and they can't come home at the end of the day, yeah every child should be so blessed.

So I take it you don't revere the idea of a millionaire CEO sending their 14 y/o off to "study" at an "exclusive" French or Swiss boarding school.

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:39 pm

You lost me.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:59 pm

IA with TPP. I think it should only be older, HS-aged, kids attending boarding and prep schools. I think it's sad when a ten year old has been sent away to school abroad. Parents should be on hand for most of a child's milestones.
    jerome41
    jerome41
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 0

Post by jerome41 Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:19 pm

Chris wrote:What's your opinion of boarding schools? Is it a form of child neglect, in your opinion?

When you look at situations like this it is a lot easier to see why some parents think boarding school is a wonderful idea. These types of school not only provide a child with traditional classroom learning but also exposed to a variety of arts, music and athletic opportunities.

Last edited by jerome41 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:27 pm

For the parents who send kids to boarding school, for the most part, they are probably not that involved in the kids' lives to begin with, so maybe the atmosphere of boarding school would be a step above the home life. So, even though I would never ever do it, it may not be all that bad of a situation for some kids.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:53 pm

It depends on the age of the child for me. I wouldn't send my child away, but there are situations in which I can see parents sending an older child (high school age) away. Some kids are even choosing it themselves because of the opportunities provided. One girl I worked with last year in in grade 7 now and when she's in grade 9, she'll be going to one of the top boarding schools in the country. She's really excited about it and it has nothing to do with her home life. She comes from a good home but wants what this school has to offer her. She's a lot more mature than many of the other kids, and wants the advantages this school will offer. I've known other kids who've wanted to go away and some who were sent away. I also work with international students who will be heading to boarding school in grade 9.

Boarding school isn't for everyone and it's not where I'd want my kids to go, but I think there are times when it can be a great chance for the kids.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 12:47 am