CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Jason B.
RiteDiva
Nystyle709
Nhaiyel
AtownPeep
9 posters

Why Did I Get Married Too?

AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Why Did I Get Married Too? Empty Why Did I Get Married Too?

Post by AtownPeep Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:09 pm

Did anyone watch this film this past weekend? I'm not a huge TP fan but I did like the 1st Why Did I Get Married? But this movie's ending just disappointed me!!! Much better than the 1st film, I won't mention any spoilers but can anyone relate? Dayum. Thanks all
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Why Did I Get Married Too? Empty Re: Why Did I Get Married Too?

Post by Nhaiyel Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:54 am

Saw it on Monday. Better than the original, I really enjoyed it. The movie continuously keeps you engaged, guessing, and on the edge of your seat. It was definitely an 'expect the unexpected' type film. The whole cast was strong, but I was especially impressed by Janet, she was bananas here. You could tell that her raw nerves over Michael's death were being channelled into her performance, because she was explosive.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:27 pm

I liked it. I think it was better than the first. I remember the trailer for it and they were like one of the couples weren't going to make it....after watching the movie for about 30 mins, I figured out exactly which couple wasn't going to make it. So to me, it wasn't as "unpredictable" as everyone said it was going to be. I didn't like the ending either, but I figured that one out too...based on the bullshit way it actually happened. I remember when I was living down south a few years ago and Tyler Perry was THE biggest thing around and I, like many others, wasn't impressed. I actually can't stand his plays, but his Madea character kinda grew on me. Before I completely write someone off, I at least give them a chance so I've seen all of his movies and I didn't care for the first few, but I can honestly say this: he has come a LONG way. If you can get past the mushy bullshit "trying to teach you a lesson" card that he has in all of his movies and plays, you can tell that he has gotten a lot better as a filmmaker and I'm actually proud of him for that. His storytelling has gotten a lot better, his plots have gotten a lot better, his direction has gotten a lot better. You can tell he learns more and more as he goes along. He has the potential to be a great director/filmmaker. And you can't help but give him props for putting black actors to work (even if some of them are corny). I really did ENJOY the movie and I really was engrossed by the story. I hope he continues to do well.

Side commentary: I can't stand Cicely Tyson. I recognize what she's done as an actress, but seriously...it's like if you need an old, wrinkled, black woman in your movie...she's the one to call. I know that might come off as disrespectful and all, but I REALLY could have done without her in this flick. Really. Something about the way she acts now just irks me.

Last edited by Nystyle709 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:32 pm

Nhaiyel wrote:Saw it on Monday. Better than the original, I really enjoyed it. The movie continuously keeps you engaged, guessing, and on the edge of your seat. It was definitely an 'expect the unexpected' type film. The whole cast was strong, but I was especially impressed by Janet, she was bananas here. You could tell that her raw nerves over Michael's death were being channelled into her performance, because she was explosive.

YES. Janet did her thing in this one. I think so many people have forgotten that she was an actress before she was the Janet Jackson that you all know today. I would love to see her in more challenging roles like this one in the future.
    RiteDiva
    RiteDiva
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by RiteDiva Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:40 pm

Janet's performance was impressive. I'm thinking she should pull a Vanessa Williams. Ease out of music and let acting be where she puts a career focus on. But anyway, yeah I liked it. Janet and Malik held it down.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:10 am

It's getting conflicting reviews. Critics are rating it poorly, but movie goers are giving it decent to good comments and it's doing solid business at the box office. I dunno. I've seen a handful of Tyler Perry movies, and they all play out like shlocky quasi-cristian soap opera's. I didn't see the original, but I might rent it and if I like it may check out part II.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:02 am

I haven't seen it, but Entertainment Weekly gave it a B-.

Review in a Hurry: Once again, four couples vacation together to celebrate their marriages, and again, one of them is doomed by movie's end, while the others will be sorely tested. This Tyler Perry sequel hews closer to his usual formula than its predecessor, but good cast chemistry and a gutturally fierce performance by Janet Jackson keep it watchable.

The Bigger Picture: Traditionally, when a sequel features the word "too" rather than "two" at the end, it means an all-new cast retelling essentially the same story, with Teen Wolf Too being the classic example. Perry's telling more or less the same story here as well, but all the original characters return, having fallen back into old patterns after what appeared to be personal growth by the end of the last film.

So Marcus (Michael Jai White) and Angela (Tasha Smith) still yell at each other all the time between surreptitious swigs of booze, Terry (Perry) and Dianne (Sharon Leal) still have trust issues vis-à-vis her career, and Patricia (Jackson) and Gavin (Malik Yoba) are always ready with answers for everyone else, while secretly being torn apart over grief for their dead son. Meanwhile, newlyweds Sheila (Jill Scott) and Troy (Lamman Rucker) are having issues of their own stemming from his inability to find work, while her sleazy ex, Mike, (Richard T. Jones) is looking to get back in the picture.

The first Why Did I Get Married? showed some real growth in Perry as a filmmaker, with a script that reconceived his play in more cinematic language, character-based drama and humor, and relied less upon the on-the-nose Gospel and histrionic brutality that pervade much of his oeuvre. Here, alas, he can't resist the opportunity to throw in some out-of-left-field tragedies as an excuse for a climax, and they're so random-seeming that they risk making the audience laugh rather than cry (granted, the movie in general is supposed to do both, but not so much at those moments).

Still, the castmembers all have a natural interaction that's quite welcome, building on established personas to create more humor here. Jackson, however, takes things to a whole new level when Patricia finally unleashes her grief. No coincidence, probably, that her brother's death and the subsequent media circus were happening during much of production—when she shrieks that she wants to be left alone in her time of pain, the catharsis is palpable.

Two hours, however, is long for a movie like this. Robert Altman could have pulled off a script with eight main characters, and kept it compelling throughout, but Perry's not remotely at that level, and could have pared down the script to focus more on a clear protagonist.

The 180 – a Second Opinion: At one point, Marcus starts overusing football metaphors, and the other guys complain that they need a sports translator. Really? Are these the only married men in Atlanta who never watch football?
    SkwirtB
    SkwirtB
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 6

Post by SkwirtB Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:05 am

Great flick & Janet was phenomenal!
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:52 pm

I am so happy to read that so many of you liked it. I loved the first one, so I will certainly check this out when it is on DVD.
    burned this disco out
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 0

Post by burned this disco out Fri May 28, 2010 10:50 pm

Yeah, me too. From the clips I've seen I can't wait to see Janet in it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 5:48 pm