CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Shale
Marc™
6 posters

Postumous Film Roles

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Postumous Film Roles Empty Postumous Film Roles

Post by Marc™ Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:42 pm

What do you think of films released after the stars death? There was Brandon Lee in The Crow....Tupac Shakur in Bullet, Gridlock'd and Gang Related....Aaliyah in Queen of the Damned....Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight. By and large, I think they're eerie. I am especially put off by The Crow, since Lee died making that movie.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Postumous Film Roles Empty Re: Postumous Film Roles

Post by Shale Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:16 pm

If they did good work, then see it as a tribute to their art.

Aaliyah was a beginner and I think Queen of the Damned just shows lost potential in her acting. Heath Ledger's performance in Dark Knight is a tribute and had they not distributed that movie you would have heard a roar from the public.

Fact is, it is contractual that they show the movie after all the work that went into it by everyone - despite the death of one of the workers. Happens in other businesses as well.

So, I see nothing wrong with showing movies after an actor has died even if they have to find CGI ways to finish the story.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:00 pm

I agree with Shale that at least sometimes it's unrealistic to expect a movie studio to shelve a movie that they've likely already made a significant financial investment in especially if the actor died after filming was completed. Ledger won an Oscar for Dark Knight and Peter Finch won one for Network (“I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it anymore”). Terry Gilliam used Colin Farrell, Jude Law and Johnny Depp to replace Ledger when he died during filming of The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. All three gave their salaries to Ledger’s daughter.

I thought this was spooky cool.
    According to Terry Gilliam, the last line Heath Ledger spoke for filming on the set was "Don't shoot the messenger." When Johnny Depp filmed his role after Ledger's death, Depp asked Gilliam if he could try a new ad-lib: "Don't shoot the messenger", unaware that Ledger had improvised an identical line. Gilliam was astounded, remarking, "Heath is still out there. Johnny's channeling Heath somehow. I mean, Shirley MacLaine would love all this."
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:38 pm

I think so much money is probably invested that they don't have much choice sometimes.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:41 pm

There's also James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause...I think the same thing, it's kind of eerie, but you know, when they put all that work into it, it seems kind of weird not to put it out when it's finally finished.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:55 pm

Supernova wrote:There's also James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause...I think the same thing, it's kind of eerie, but you know, when they put all that work into it, it seems kind of weird not to put it out when it's finally finished.

That's right! That was pretty eerie. "The life you save might be mine."

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:58 pm

And it was especially eerie because yeah, he said how dangerous it was driving on the highway compared to racing on the tracks, and the other driver did not see him and the crash nearly decapitated James.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:02 pm

It could be considered a tribute to the actor.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:49 pm