CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
captainbryce
CeCe
Forgiveness Man
TPP
8 posters

Nuclear Power

TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Nuclear Power Empty Nuclear Power

Post by TPP Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:38 pm

How do you feel about it? Viable source of valuable energy that we would be fools not to consider using? Disaster waiting to happen?

Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Nuclear Power Empty Re: Nuclear Power

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:50 pm

I'm against it! Smile
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:54 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:I'm against it! Smile

oh, well in that case, I guess I'm for it...

Just Kidding

I don't think I know enough about it one way or another, but the things happening in Japan give me pause for sure.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:04 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:
    Forgiveness Man wrote:I'm against it! Smile

Just Kidding

I don't think I know enough about it one way or another, but the things happening in Japan give me pause for sure.
    Sneak attack! Wink Almost had me. Razz
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:06 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:
    thepossiblepolice wrote:

Just Kidding

Sneak attack! Wink Almost had me. Razz

I like this tongue wagger much better than the other big one.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:07 pm

lol I like it better than the big one but the face is a tad weird looking. FORGIVENESS MAN But yeah, it's less obtuse.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:15 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:

Agree. I think the answer to both questions is "yes" so it's complicated. We all know what's happened when there's an accident or disaster like this one. So there's a valid reason to be concerned.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:24 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:How do you feel about it? Viable source of valuable energy that we would be fools not to consider using? Disaster waiting to happen?

The first one! With regard to nuclear power, the Japanese and the French are among the smartest in the world and utilize it the best. The Japanese lose 10 points for utilizing it to the extent that they do given their geological location on the planet and its penchent for deadly earthquakes and tsunami. But if it weren't for those temper tantrums of mother nature, its really an excellent idea so long as the proper controls and safety features are maintained. In progressive countries that believe in technological and energy efficiency, nuclear power is the way to go. In the US, nuclear power only has one purpose - WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION!
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:29 pm

captainbryce wrote:
    thepossiblepolice wrote:How do you feel about it? Viable source of valuable energy that we would be fools not to consider using? Disaster waiting to happen?

The first one! With regard to nuclear power, the Japanese and the French are among the smartest in the world and utilize it the best. The Japanese lose 10 points for utilizing it to the extent that they do given their geological location on the planet and its penchent for deadly earthquakes and tsunami. But if it weren't for those temper tantrums of mother nature, its really an excellent idea so long as the proper controls and safety features are maintained. In progressive countries that believe in technological and energy efficiency, nuclear power is the way to go. In the US, nuclear power only has one purpose - WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION!

What about the waste though? Is there a safe way to dispose of it now? I know that there is a bunch of it buried under the Columbia River near here and there are always concerns about it leaking and stuff like that.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:40 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:
    What about the waste though? Is there a safe way to dispose of it now? I know that there is a bunch of it buried under the Columbia River near here and there are always concerns about it leaking and stuff like that.

The French recycle over 90% of their nuclear waste and have been doing it successfully for DECADES. The US burries it! Why? Because we live in a country full of ignorant ratards and corrupt businessmen and politicians!

http://www.heritage.org/research/commentary/2007/12/recycling-nuclear-fuel-the-french-do-it-why-cant-oui
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:45 pm

captainbryce wrote:
    thepossiblepolice wrote:

The French recycle over 90% of their nuclear waste and have been doing it successfully for DECADES. The US burries it! Why? Because we live in a country full of ignorant ratards and corrupt businessmen and politicians!

http://www.heritage.org/research/commentary/2007/12/recycling-nuclear-fuel-the-french-do-it-why-cant-oui

That's an interesting article...I wonder why the US banned it in the first place?
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:50 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:
    That's an interesting article...I wonder why the US banned it in the first place?
    Most likely because the average American doesn't really know DICK about nuclear power, assumes its the work of the devil, and aren't going to be very likely to support a political candidate that embraces it. Walk down the street and ask the first 10 people you encounter what they think of "nuclear power". The ignorance will likely astound you! Such is the way of life here in the good ole US of A.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:51 am

With safety precautions in place, it is the cleanest and most efficient form of energy there is.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:37 am

Marc™️ wrote:With safety precautions in place, it is the cleanest and most efficient form of energy there is.
    Not Quite.

Comes in second to Solar and Wind energy, which we have plenty of here in Florida but our stupid legislators and populace won't support implementing.

We do have a nuclear power plant not far south of Miami. The saltwater crocodiles hang out there because the runoff water is warmer.
    Blue Cool
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:15 pm

Shale wrote:
    Marc™️ wrote:With safety precautions in place, it is the cleanest and most efficient form of energy there is.
    Not Quite.

Comes in second to Solar and Wind energy, which we have plenty of here in Florida but our stupid legislators and populace won't support implementing.

We do have a nuclear power plant not far south of Miami. The saltwater crocodiles hang out there because the runoff water is warmer.
    Blue Cool
    It depends on where you live really, and on how "sun rich" your area is. In certain regions nuclear power would be more efficient (and cheaper). The big advantage with nuclear power is that it isn't dependent on "sunshine" as with solar power. Wind power is more or less equal with nuclear power in terms of building and maintenance "costs" (as well as waste disposal in the case of nuclear fuel), however I still believe that nuclear power is more "efficient" since it takes many, many wind turbines to produce the power output of ONE nuclear reactor. One thing is certain, nuclear, solar and wind power are the best, cleanest most efficient forms of energy there is and we really need to get away from fossil fuels/petrolium products, coal and natural gas.

http://www.physorg.com/news200578033.html
    Timetrvlr
    Timetrvlr
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by Timetrvlr Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:13 pm

captainbryce posted:
    One thing is certain, nuclear, solar and wind power are the best, cleanest most efficient forms of energy there is and we really need to get away from fossil fuels/petroleum products, coal and natural gas.

I agree. On another board, a poster commented that the Japanese have no other options for producing power. I pointed out that Japan could replace the two damaged nuclear reactors with wind turbines in their rugged mountains for about the same costs as building new reactors. Solar is certainly a viable option too. After another earthquake, it will cost considerably less to replace or repair wind turbines or solar plants. It's going to take years and a lot of money to cleanup even partial meltdowns at the reactors.

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:09 pm

Interesting question. There are two sides of the coin here: it's far cheaper and cost effective to produce than standard electricity. On the flip-side, though, if something goes wrong, the consequences would be catastrophic. So my opinion? Wouldn't touch it, because it's too risky if something were to go awry.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 2:16 pm