CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

4 posters

Iodine pills in your first aid kit?

TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Iodine pills in your first aid kit? Empty Iodine pills in your first aid kit?

Post by TPP Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:45 pm

I don't have iodine pills, but a friend of mine on facebook posted something about buying them and handing them out to her kids because the nuclear fallout from Japan could blow here in the wind or something. She lives near me.

Right after she posted it someone was like "Do we have to start THIS panic now?"

Anyway, IDK anything about it. Is this something that I need to do or an over reaction? I'm going to be googling it too I guess, but the internet is full of crazy people and I strongly suspect that some of you are quite sane.

eta: my first google results were scary sad
    http://offgridsurvival.com/nuclearfalloutreachingamerica/
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Iodine pills in your first aid kit? Empty Re: Iodine pills in your first aid kit?

Post by Shale Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:11 am

Here is where you have to dig thru and even maybe trust the "mainstream press." You know like AP, CNN, Reuters. Ppl who tell you who they work for and the credentials of getting the story using the best journalistic touls of separating fiction, conjecture, fact and pinning down the "experts."

Like that link above from a dubious source which gave no accredidation to the writer or the numerous "experts" they claim are disputing the "government" reports.

I don't eat everything the mainstream news feeds me, but be assured unless there is the biggest conspiracy ever, some news source will jump on an exclusive if there is one. Someone we see every night will be the first to report a government coverup. It's what sells - and causes more follow-up news. It is what makes a free press valuable. Someone is always looking for that exclusive and bringing coverups to light.

So look for the source, the byline, the name of the expert quoted (usually followed by PhD or some other designations showing his expertness).

Personally, I will believe what I've seen so far. The Japanese around those reactors are being given iodine because they have been exposed to uranium. It has not travelled from those reactors even over Japan yet and it is a far distance from us. So far uranium has not been released into the air as it was in Chernobyl, it is only watervapor or hydrogen explosions at this point.

I would wait for CNN or AP to bring the news not Off The Grid Conspiracy or whatever.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Iodine pills in your first aid kit? Empty Re: Iodine pills in your first aid kit?

Post by Supernova Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:43 am

I have never even heard of iodine pills, let alone know what they're for or if they're effective or necessary.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:56 am

Supernova wrote:I have never even heard of iodine pills, let alone know what they're for or if they're effective or necessary.
    It's to prevent thyroid cancer for those who are exposed to certain radiation, maybe just uranium.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:05 pm

Thanks Shale. I am going to buy the pills, and stash them away in our first aid kit. It's less than 10 bucks and if we should ever need them, we wont have to contend with any panic or shortage, we'll have them. They last a while I guess.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:20 pm

Never mind the iodine pills...First Aid kit?! I think we have some Band Aids someplace.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:26 pm

alan smithee wrote:Never mind the iodine pills...First Aid kit?! I think we have some Band Aids someplace.

ROFLMAO! Yeah really. I'm sure we've got a first aid kit somewhere, we have one for the car, but we never use them, only band-aids.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:53 am

alan smithee wrote:Never mind the iodine pills...First Aid kit?! I think we have some Band Aids someplace.

lol, we have a kit that my dad made us when he was in the Coast Guard complete with snake bite kit, stuff for a diabetic coma, stuff to stitch someone up...Of course it's all expiring.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 7:20 pm