CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
TPP
Marc™
6 posters

Nun Excommunicated for Recommending Abortion

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Nun Excommunicated for Recommending Abortion  Empty Nun Excommunicated for Recommending Abortion

Post by Marc™ Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:37 am

According
    to the AP, Sister Margaret McBride was on the ethics panel of a
    Catholic hospital, which last year heard the case of a woman who was 11
    weeks pregnant. The woman had pulmonary hypertension, and her pregnancy
    "carried a nearly certain risk of death." A letter from the chair of
    the hospital's board says, "If there had been a way to save the
    pregnancy and still prevent the death of the mother, we would have done
    it. We are convinced there was not." Given this, the ethics panel
    recommended an abortion.

Says Bishop Thomas J. Olmsted, head of the Phoenix archdiocese,
    I am gravely concerned by the fact that an abortion was
    performed several months ago in a Catholic hospital in this diocese. I
    am further concerned by the hospital's statement that the termination
    of a human life was necessary to treat the mother's underlying medical
    condition.

An unborn child is not a disease. While medical professionals
    should certainly try to save a pregnant mother's life, the means by
    which they do it can never be by directly killing her unborn child. The
    end does not justify the means.
    source

The position of the Bishop seems to be that the fetus trumps the mother's life? How is that ethical?
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Nun Excommunicated for Recommending Abortion  Empty Re: Nun Excommunicated for Recommending Abortion

Post by TPP Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:39 am

I don't think it is. I think there is some paranoia among pro-life people that doctor's are writing rx's for abortions claiming that the mother's life is in danger, but that it's not REALLY in danger. I don't know that to be the case...And I certainly wouldn't expect it from a nun! I think that the bishop doesn't care about the woman, he just cares about the rules.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Nun Excommunicated for Recommending Abortion  Empty Re: Nun Excommunicated for Recommending Abortion

Post by RobbieFTW Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:16 am

It wasn't ethical but no surprise there.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:21 am

People who support abortion aren't concerned about ethics. We'd never tolerate outright killing of ANYBODY else just to save another's life. It's not about being the baby OVER the mother; it's about treating them both as people. It'd be like shooting a person in a car crash dead cause the other guy needs your help more and this guy is in the way. The end does NOT justify the means. So I say it was ethical to penalize the nun. Many murders have good intentions. This isn't about "rules." It's about recognizing the entire equation.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:44 am

The quote from the bishop does not give any rationale for prioritizing the fetus over the mother. Without one, his opinion is worthless.

Further, he should not be concerned by the hospital's statement that the termination of a human life was necessary to treat the mother's underlying medical condition. It is a statement of fact, regardless of whether or not he likes it.

His statement that an unborn child is not a disease is purposeless. No one is making such a claim.

I can think of reasons why someone could argue that saving the fetus is more important, even if I disagree with them, but the fact that the bishop gave none leaves me feeling contemptuous that he condones the excommunication of a nun who was clearly acting according to her conscience and with the interests of the patient in mind. His thinking is dogmatic and does not belong in a discussion of human ethics.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:48 am

Forgiveness Man wrote:People who support abortion aren't concerned about ethics. We'd never tolerate outright killing of ANYBODY else just to save another's life. It's not about being the baby OVER the mother; it's about treating them both as people. It'd be like shooting a person in a car crash dead cause the other guy needs your help more and this guy is in the way. The end does NOT justify the means. So I say it was ethical to penalize the nun. Many murders have good intentions. This isn't about "rules." It's about recognizing the entire equation.

The child can not survive without the mother, but the mother CAN survive without the child. If the mom dies, they both die. If you HAD to kill someone to save someone else's life, it would be justified IMO, if the person you had to kill didn't have any chance of survival either way. It does seem legalistic to me the way that the Bishop handled it.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:10 pm

Yet another case of blind faith stampeding over facts and reality. Rah rah religion.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 06, 2024 2:23 am