CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
Nystyle709
Shale
Tony Marino
RobbieFTW
TPP
Cheaps
Marc™
11 posters

Are Elderly People Harder to Shop For?

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Are Elderly People Harder to Shop For? Empty Are Elderly People Harder to Shop For?

Post by Marc™ Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:49 am

From a commercial standpoint, I mean.

I recently went with my mother to buy my 88 year old grandma a new TV. At the store I pointed out Vizio...which is one of the most popular brands today. My mother was like "Nah....she's not gonna like that name." Then I was like, "What, does it have to Sharp, Magnavox or Zenith?" And she was like, "Yep." I hope by the time I'm that age, I'm not that much of a stickler when it comes to things like that.

Anyway....

To anybody who has someone up there in age in their life, does this sound familiar? Are they so particular that they're hard to shop for?
    Cheaps
    Cheaps
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 252

Are Elderly People Harder to Shop For? Empty Re: Are Elderly People Harder to Shop For?

Post by Cheaps Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:03 am

my grandparents would be the only elders i shop for, and honestly i dont think ive ever gotten them anything more than just cards...

Last edited by cheaps on Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:06 am; edited 1 time in total
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Are Elderly People Harder to Shop For? Empty Re: Are Elderly People Harder to Shop For?

Post by TPP Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:05 am

I think that people get less adventurous and they don't want to try new things, including brands. They like what is safe and comfortable. I see that in my husbands parents, who are older than my parents.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:24 am

My 92 year old grandma is very picky too. She doesnt easily stray from her tried & true.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:43 am

Yes they are. I wanted to buy my father a new flat screen TV he has a small 19" and I thought a bigger screen would be better for him. He told me absolutely not, he didn't want the new TV he said the one he has is fine!

I just spent $1,300 on a new recliner for him, the medical ones that go all the way back and it lifts you all the way up to practically a standing point. They delivered it and he put me through hell because he said the material bothers him and he can't sit in it. He made the super in his building bring the old one back in from the trash. The material is soft but its like chenille and he said it feels like pimples on his skin. My brother and I told him we would cover it up with something and he agreed and we took out the old chair, put him in the new one and he called my brother at midnight sunday night to come get the old one back because he was going to die in the new chair. So now I am out 1,300 bucks and stuck with a chair that he dosen't want. This is only a couple of examples there are plenty more.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:03 pm

Tony Marino wrote:Yes they are. I wanted to buy my father a new flat screen TV he has a small 19" and I thought a bigger screen would be better for him. He told me absolutely not, he didn't want the new TV he said the one he has is fine!

I just spent $1,300 on a new recliner for him, the medical ones that go all the way back and it lifts you all the way up to practically a standing point. They delivered it and he put me through hell because he said the material bothers him and he can't sit in it. He made the super in his building bring the old one back in from the trash. The material is soft but its like chenille and he said it feels like pimples on his skin. My brother and I told him we would cover it up with something and he agreed and we took out the old chair, put him in the new one and he called my brother at midnight sunday night to come get the old one back because he was going to die in the new chair. So now I am out 1,300 bucks and stuck with a chair that he dosen't want. This is only a couple of examples there are plenty more.

Ouch! He sounds worst that my grandma and i didnt think that was possible. My mom went thru a similar situation when she bought her a new bed . . . and they fought over it cuz of how much the bed cost. She said it was too soft (that thing was as stiff as a cot) and headboard knocked.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:05 pm

Marc™️ wrote:... Then I was like, "What, does it have to Sharp, Magnavox or Zenith?" And she was like, "Yep." ...

What's with that new fangled "Sharp?" It's Magnavox, Phillips, Zenith or RCA - nothing else!! You kids don't know nuttin' about electronics! d-oh!

Yeah, glad I'm not some old fart - yet. I still find it ironic that being the oldest guy in the office, all my coworkers come to me to make their computer/printer/fax/copier/ work. I mean, me the dinosaur who used to type on a manual typewriter and remembers mimeograph machines and facsimile machines with a spinning drum.

OK, I do hate to install new TV's and things because it takes lots of study and time on my part - it is not second nature. But I am open to new things THAT I NEED. You have to figure that my 19 inch RCA tube TV is still working so why buy a new one. I may upgrade to a bigger screen but in my small old man room there is really no convenient place to put it.

Now you kids go on and quit raggin' on the old folks or I gonna come whup ur ass.
    blank stare @ you
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:31 pm

RobbieFTW wrote:
    Tony Marino wrote:Yes they are. I wanted to buy my father a new flat screen TV he has a small 19" and I thought a bigger screen would be better for him. He told me absolutely not, he didn't want the new TV he said the one he has is fine!

Ouch! He sounds worst that my grandma and i didnt think that was possible. My mom went thru a similar situation when she bought her a new bed . . . and they fought over it cuz of how much the bed cost. She said it was too soft (that thing was as stiff as a cot) and headboard knocked.

Yep I believe it, its not easy pleasing the elderly they have all kinds of quirks and paranoia.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:57 pm

Umm, in my experience.......nope.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:04 pm

Can I have it? blushing
    gingersnaps
    gingersnaps
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Female
    Rep : 4

Post by gingersnaps Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:12 pm

That sounds like my 82 year old grandma. Much as I love her, I hate shopping for her at times since she maakes it totally impossible at times to do so. She's totally loyal to certain brands even if another one might be better.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:18 am

"Are Elderly People Harder to Shop For?"

They can be but we look for sales. We can usually pick up a moderately used 80 year old for a reasonable price.
    Sometimes we'll lease instead of purchase to own.
    gingersnaps
    gingersnaps
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Female

Post by gingersnaps Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:22 am

alan smithee wrote:"Are Elderly People Harder to Shop For?"

They can be but we look for sales. We can usually pick up a moderately used 80 year old for a reasonable price.

LMAO!

Hopefully they let you trade them in when you're tired of them.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:26 am

Tony Marino wrote:...he was going to die in the new chair. So now I am out 1,300 bucks and stuck with a chair that he dosen't want.

Hang on to it, Tony. You can have him buried in it. No coffin, just lower him in the hole reclining in the chair.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:28 am

gingersnaps wrote:
    alan smithee wrote:"Are Elderly People Harder to Shop For?"

LMAO!

No, when we're done with them we just put them out by the curb Wink . Just like everybody else cries .
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:29 am

Yes they are. My grandparents are very specific about even the smallest things. Take for instance, my 80-something grandma must have pet milk for her coffee and will only eat Entenmann's pound cake for dessert.
    gingersnaps
    gingersnaps
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Female

Post by gingersnaps Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:35 am

alan smithee wrote:
    gingersnaps wrote:

LMAO!

No, when we're done with them we just put them out by the curb Wink . Just like everybody else cries .

that could work. there's been a few times i want to put my grandma by the curb for being such a pain in the ass.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 30, 2024 4:36 am