CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

2 posters

Source Code

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Source Code Empty Source Code

Post by Shale Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:21 pm

Source Code
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    April 1, 2011

"It's like Déjà Vu all over again!" (Yogi Berra)
    With a little Matrix thrown in as well.

I had to go see this flick if not for anything more than Jake Gyllenhaal. (Been in love with him onscreen since Donnie Darko). But, this movie fairly blew me away and it wasn't just Gyllenhaal's gorgeous face which was close up in much of the movie and almost had me in tears during one heartfelt scene, but it was the story.

OK, we are all tired of the plethora of remakes and retellings and sequels. Despite my ref to two sci-fi movies above, this one has a new slant on time travel and a unique story - much like what I saw in the original TV Twilight Zone as a teen. The story was enjoyable.

Oh, a bit of the story. Movie opens with Gyllenhaal waking up on a commuter train where Christina (Michelle Monaghan) a cute girl is talking to him as if they were daily commute buddies. But he is confused. He is Capt. Colter Stevens and his last memory was fighting in Afghanistan and Christina keeps calling him Sean.

HUH?
    Source Code 74213_gal

Colter goes to the john, checks his wallet and sees Sean's driver's license. Also, when he looks in the mirror, it is Sean's face. Really confusing but not for long because a bomb blows up the train and kills everyone on board.

A few computer timejump graphics and Colter is inside some kind of capsule talking to a voice and image on a monitor.

HUH?
    Source Code 74209_gal

Captain Carol Goodwin (Vera Farmiga) is explaining to him the mission, which is to go back and find the bomb and bomber on that train, because the same terrorist is also planning to do Chicago with a dirty bomb.

Her boss, civilian bureaucrat (and bit of an ass) Dr. Rutledge (Jeffrey Wright) explains that Colter has not gone back in time but merely electronically tapped into the last 8 minutes of the dead guy Sean's existence.

Capt. Goodwin & Dr. Rutledge- Explain the Technobabble
    Source Code 74210_gal

And the very important mission of this war hero is to keep going back for 8-minute intervals to piece together who is the bomber. (Some have made reference to another movie, Groundhog Day but only for the theme of doing it over and over until you get it right).

So, Colter goes back several times more as Sean to solve the mystery and also starts falling for the girl who knows him as Sean.

Colter & Christine on an 8-Minute Speed Date
    Source Code 74214_gal

I've already told you I like this movie even tho I suspected some elements of the story before they were revealed (Hey, I grew up on Twilight Zone - it jaded me). BTW, this movie was directed by Duncan Jones, who also directed Moon (2009) another sci-fi movie that I enjoyed and made reference to it's Twilight Zone qualities.
    JWF
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 4

Source Code Empty Re: Source Code

Post by JWF Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:41 pm

How would you like to live the last 8 minutes of your life....over & over....sounds like "Groundhog Day". Actually more like "Inception" and Adjustment Bureau". Do we really need another film that creates its own illogical reality in a real world?

This sci-fi thriller does start off fascinating enough. Stevens (Jake Gyllenhaal) an Afghan pilot wakes up unknowingly on a Chicago train about to explode...in another man's body....with riders he doesn't know, including Christina (Michelle Monaghan). Soon enough you learn that Stevens has been programmed by a government project named "Source Code", which allows him to live over and over the last 8 minutes. Apparently, the project can't stop the bomb from exploding, but can prevent a larger catastrophe, if he can locate the terrorist. Out of the train he's returned to some type pod, where his communications are with (misused in this film) a Captain (Vera Fermiga) of the project

For a spell I enjoyed the narrative, but eventually I got annoyed with the continuous over and over stuff, even if new details or clues occur. But what really turned me off what the absurd and idiotic ending. I can't believe the most true sci-fi fan could accept this ending

B-

Jack

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 11:36 am