CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+9
Alan Smithee
CeCe
Supernova
Marc™
Impact
Nystyle709
tmontyb
Forgiveness Man
femme fatale
13 posters

Being anti-abortion AND anti-contraceptive

femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Being anti-abortion AND anti-contraceptive Empty Being anti-abortion AND anti-contraceptive

Post by femme fatale Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:12 am

Saw on Real Time a guy say that it didn't make sense for people who're opposed to abortion also being opposed to birth control. I'm not in favor of abortion (but I wouldn't be in favor of repealing the law) but ITA with him on the point. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to be anti-abortion AND anti-contraceptive at the same time. The women who are likely to abort IMO should be encouraged to use BC. What do you think about pro life advocates being against the use of birth control? Contradiction?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Being anti-abortion AND anti-contraceptive Empty Re: Being anti-abortion AND anti-contraceptive

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:37 am

Anybody who thinks outside the box can see that it's not a contradiction. I'm really surprised that people really cannot see that far outside of their views to understand that. If being FOR both isn't a contradiction, than neither is being against both. The fact is that this is just another excuse to slander Pro-Lifers and grasp at straws to defend the indefensible. big grin (And Real Time, that's that Bill Maher guy right? Yeah, I trust any guy that he'd put on the air. lol)

So no, it's not a contradiction. Anybody who says it is, they're wrong. Razz Disagree with the views if you like, but get off the "it's a contradiction" soapbox. (And also remember that I don't think anybody is seeking to outlaw contraception, it's purely a moral view of the things. In other words, should abortion be illegal, contraception would still be legal, and would stay that way.)
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Being anti-abortion AND anti-contraceptive Empty Re: Being anti-abortion AND anti-contraceptive

Post by tmontyb Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:45 am

femme fatale wrote:Saw on Real Time a guy say that it didn't make sense for people who're opposed to abortion also being opposed to birth control. I'm not in favor of abortion (but I wouldn't be in favor of repealing the law) but ITA with him on the point. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to be anti-abortion AND anti-contraceptive at the same time. The women who are likely to abort IMO should be encouraged to use BC. What do you think about pro life advocates being against the use of birth control? Contradiction?

It not a contradiction, it's just stupid. I agree with you. Both men and women should use contraceptives if they want to avoid having children, but thing happens and I still believe abortion is a woman's choice and no one should intervene.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male

Post by tmontyb Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:53 am

double post
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:36 am

tmontyb wrote:
    femme fatale wrote:Saw on Real Time a guy say that it didn't make sense for people who're opposed to abortion also being opposed to birth control. I'm not in favor of abortion (but I wouldn't be in favor of repealing the law) but ITA with him on the point. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to be anti-abortion AND anti-contraceptive at the same time. The women who are likely to abort IMO should be encouraged to use BC. What do you think about pro life advocates being against the use of birth control? Contradiction?

It not a contradiction, it's just stupid. I agree with you. Both men and women should use contraceptives if they want to avoid having children, but thing happens and I still believe abortion is a woman's choice and no one should intervene.

For the most part.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:49 am

You would think that someone who is against abortion would champion contraception, but they think that's murder too. Prolifers don't want anything tampering with what their church believes is the "the natural order". That's why they're against both abortion and birth control. They believe that sex should only happen in marriage and that every time a married couple copulates, they should welcome the chance of a baby coming from it. In other words, pro-lifers think this is reality...

Being anti-abortion AND anti-contraceptive OzzieHarriet
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:21 am

Impact wrote:You would think that someone who is against abortion would champion contraception, but they think that's murder too. Prolifers don't want anything tampering with what their church believes is the "the natural order". That's why they're against both abortion and birth control. They believe that sex should only happen in marriage and that every time a married couple copulates, they should welcome the chance of a baby coming from it. In other words, pro-lifers think this is reality...

Being anti-abortion AND anti-contraceptive OzzieHarriet

Yep.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:28 am

It's definitely what I'd call taking it to an extreme, scratch that, an extremist extreme.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:08 pm

Most of the time it's just religiosity. There are some people who actually believe sex is only for procreation. If they want to practice this in their own lives, good luck to them. But leave the rest of us alone.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 pm

CeCe wrote:Most of the time it's just religiosity. There are some people who actually believe sex is only for procreation. If they want to practice this in their own lives, good luck to them. But leave the rest of us alone.
    co-signs
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:38 pm

Well, when I butt-fuck Raul we don't worry about contraception or abortion. Guess we would make an ideal Catholic couple. big grin

(However, we do use condoms)
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male

Post by tmontyb Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:52 pm

Shale wrote:Well, when I butt-fuck Raul we don't worry about contraception or abortion. Guess we would make an ideal Catholic couple. big grin

good one
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:26 pm

CeCe wrote:Most of the time it's just religiosity. There are some people who actually believe sex is only for procreation. If they want to practice this in their own lives, good luck to them. But leave the rest of us alone.

+1
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:00 am

Forgiveness Man wrote:Anybody who thinks outside the box can see that it's not a contradiction. I'm really surprised that people really cannot see that far outside of their views to understand that. If being FOR both isn't a contradiction, than neither is being against both. The fact is that this is just another excuse to slander Pro-Lifers and grasp at straws to defend the indefensible. big grin (And Real Time, that's that Bill Maher guy right? Yeah, I trust any guy that he'd put on the air. lol)

So no, it's not a contradiction. Anybody who says it is, they're wrong. Razz Disagree with the views if you like, but get off the "it's a contradiction" soapbox. (And also remember that I don't think anybody is seeking to outlaw contraception, it's purely a moral view of the things. In other words, should abortion be illegal, contraception would still be legal, and would stay that way.)
    Whoa, calm down Pope! The OP was simply asking a question, not making a declaration and made no indication that they were pro-choice either. She specifically said "I'm not in favor of abortion", so nobody is "slandering" pro-lifers. eye roll And what's not to "trust"? It was a random guy with an opinion. You don't trust opinions? blank stare @ you What about Glen Beck? He has "opinions" too!

You're right, such a position is not necessarily a contradiction, IT'S JUST STUPID! Outside of religious reasons, there is really no logical reasons to promote NOT using birth control. I personally feel that it is immoral to suggest to people that they shouldn't use birth control, but that abortion is also not an option. You have the right to disagree, but RELIGION cannot logically justify a secular "morality" argument.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:39 am

Forgiveness Man wrote:Anybody who thinks outside the box can see that it's not a contradiction. I'm really surprised that people really cannot see that far outside of their views to understand that. If being FOR both isn't a contradiction, than neither is being against both. The fact is that this is just another excuse to slander Pro-Lifers and grasp at straws to defend the indefensible. big grin (And Real Time, that's that Bill Maher guy right? Yeah, I trust any guy that he'd put on the air. lol)

I take it you're not a fan of Bill Maher, huh FM? big grin
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:30 pm

Shale wrote:Well, when I butt-fuck Raul we don't worry about contraception or abortion. Guess we would make an ideal Catholic couple. big grin

If one half of a Catholic couple became HIV positive from a transfusion, is it the Church’s stance that condoms are still prohibited to help prevent exposure to their spouse?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:34 pm

alan smithee wrote:

If one half of a Catholic couple became HIV positive from a transfusion, is it the Church’s stance that condoms are still prohibited to help prevent exposure to their spouse?

Actually, didn't the Pope make an exception to the anti-condom stance for that reason?

Don't know if it was an official Church reversal or if he said God would turn his head in such cases.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:37 pm

Chris wrote:I take it you're not a fan of Bill Maher, huh FM? big grin

Nah, I don't trust zealots. Wink

@ Bryce: Pope? That's not an even a creative insult. Razz
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:27 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:@ Bryce: Pope? That's not an even a creative insult. Razz
    Who said it was an "insult" confused

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 11:14 am