CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

4 posters

'SlutWalks' Coming to America

Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

'SlutWalks' Coming to America Empty 'SlutWalks' Coming to America

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:24 am

(Newser) – It all started with some ill-considered advice from a Toronto policeman. To prevent rape, he told a group of law students, “Avoid dressing like sluts.” That gaffe sparked a head-turning wave of protests dubbed “SlutWalks” in cities across Canada, in which women—some dressed in plain old jeans and t-shirts, others showing more skin than is practical in Canada—took to the streets to decry victim-blaming and slut-shaming.

“We had just had enough,” says Heather Jarvis, founder of SlutWalk Toronto. Now, the Huffington Post reports, the phenomenon has gone global, spreading virally to Europe, Asia, Australia, and the US. Most major US cities have or will have SlutWalks—Boston, Dallas, Hartford, Asheville, and Rochester will hold walks between now and May 7. “It isn’t about just one idea or one police officer,” says Jarvis. “It’s about changing the system.”

I fully agree that how a woman dresses is no justification for sexual assault. I will say this though, even though I always look a woman in the eye when I speak to her (no matter how she's dressed), I think it's hypocritical for a woman to put her assets on display and then be offended if a man looks at them.
    'SlutWalks' Coming to America X18310822
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

'SlutWalks' Coming to America Empty Re: 'SlutWalks' Coming to America

Post by CeCe Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:08 am

I understand what they're doing because rape isn't an act of sex but violence & control. The way a woman is dressed is just used as an excuse to deny personal responsibility. So technically it is "victim blaming". That said, I agree that women who wear clothes that show off what they consider to be assets have no right to complain when men look. On the other hand if a man stops by the produce department when wardrobe shopping or is just naturally gifted & wears pants that are tight or drop low enough I'm probably going to notice. So no indignant whining.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:18 am

No one should be mistreated/victimized for the way they dress; but at the same time I do think that how others interpret someone is largely based on how they carry themselves. We're all judged on appearance, and we all do the same to others. Don't get mad when someone treats you like a slut if that's how you carry yourself.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:03 am

^^ Yeah yeah, what they said.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:01 pm

CeCe wrote: On the other hand if a man stops by the produce department when wardrobe shopping or is just naturally gifted & wears pants that are tight (enough to tell his religon?) or drop low enough I'm probably going to notice. So no indignant whining.

You won't hear any from me! big grin

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 1:24 pm