CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

2 posters

Prom

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Prom Empty Prom

Post by Shale Sun May 01, 2011 12:14 am

Prom
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    April 30, 2011

I wasn't really going to the movies this weekend. The big opening was Fast Five and riding a bicycle every day on the streets of Miami doesn't put one in the mood for vehicular mayhem.

However, I'm almost embarrassed to reveal that I went to see Prom, a PG rated Disney formulaic romance set in high school, with a target audience of teen and pre-teen girls. But, I enjoy romantic comedies and I suppose get off vicariously on the high school romances that never happened for me. In fact I don't even know if we had a Prom in my senior year, it was just not on this nerds radar.

Anyhow, I wanted to go to a predictable movie and relax and this movie delivered on both accounts. It was enjoyable and there were no surprises. For this the aggregate critics on Rottentomatoes gave it a 38% rating, while the audiences (made up mostly of teen and pre-teen girls & at least one old man) gave it a 70%, proving that movie critics are not teen girls.

As the formula goes, Nova (Aimee Teegarden) is the high achiever student in charge of putting together the prom. She and her team do a good job but the storage shed where the props are stored burns down a couple weeks before the event, leaving them all that work to redo and everyone having other student things that take priority. Poor Nova is in a lurch.

Luckily, there is a misfit in this school, the bad boy Jesse (Thomas McDonell) who has attitude and rides a motorcycle, dresses in black leather.

Polar Opposites
    Prom Prom-photo-thomas-mcdonell-aimee-teegarden5

After several run-ins with the Principal, Jesse is sentenced to help Nova with the Prom or not graduate. Of course there is the initial friction as these two different personalities clash in their philosophy of life.

Forced to Work Together
    Prom Prom-photo-thomas-mcdonell-aimee-teegarden3

But guess what? Behind the wall he has created, Jesse turns out to be a stand up guy.

Jesse & Nova Getting Close
    Prom Prom-photo-thomas-mcdonell-aimee-teegarden2

Eventually, after the requisite hurdles and falling out our two main protagonists will actually go to the prom.

Prom 73456_gal

I guess I enjoy these movies because it lets me reconnect to the teen angst that we all went thru at one time. The hesitancy to approach someone you have feelings for, the conflict of staying true to friends when your interests diverge.

I can assume all the problems the real critics have with this movie but it delivered for me as a charming, uninvolved matinee film that I left feeling happy. Then I rode my bicycle home.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Prom Empty More on Prom

Post by Shale Tue May 03, 2011 12:42 am

BTW, there were more characters in this movie besides Jesse and Nova. Two that I really enjoyed seeing were best buddies, Lucas (Nolan Sotillo) and Corey (Cameron Monahan). These are the sophomores who vacillate between being boys and being young men. I have seen this stage of development while working in a boys home and also with my grandson about the age of 14.

Lucas & Corey - Nerdy BFF
    Prom 73460_gal

There are the traumatic teen moments when on friend, Lucas finds a girl, Simone (Danielle Campbell) and the other, Corey feels left out.

Hesitant Desire - Lucas & Simone
    Prom Prom-mv-37

There were other subplots showing teen angst such as the couple Mei (Yin Chang) and Justin (Jared Kusnitz) who were about to be separated by going to colleges in different states.

Mei & Justin
    Prom 73459_gal

There were cads who played the girls and were hung up on themselves and about all the spectrum of good times and bad in the adolescent years of high school, all brot together in the Prom.

On a personal casting observation - while watching Thomas McDonell play the rebel Jesse, I kept seeing something familiar about him. I then realized he looked like a young Johnny Depp.

Thomas McDonell
    Prom 73469_gal

Seems I'm not the only one who noticed. In an interview with Madeleine Marr of The Miami Herald, McDonell mentioned an upcoming project where he is to "play a young Johnny Depp as Barnabas Collins in Dark Shadows..." He goes on to say " I won't get to meet him but I'm a big fan."
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Prom Empty Re: Prom

Post by RedBedroom Thu May 05, 2011 8:14 pm

Good review Shale. This movie seems cool.

Sponsored content

Prom Empty Re: Prom

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 4:50 pm