CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

4 posters

Thor

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Thor Empty Thor

Post by Shale Sat May 07, 2011 12:27 am

Thor
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    May 6, 2011

OK, this is another of those Marvel Comics characters that have made it to the big screen and this blurb is for those guys (and maybe some girls) who will watch this movie no matter what any critics might say. (Rene Rodriguez of the Miami Herald gives it 3 stars out of 4 and the aggregate reviews on Rottentomatoes is over 80% good, same as w;ith the audiences). Many, like me know this is a must see movie (rode a bike in the rain for 4 miles to see it today).

Marvel is really heating up the theaters this summer, kicking off with Thor and coming up in July is Captain America: The First Avenger, which I saw the trailer before this movie. All this leading up to The Avengers out next year.

I have to admit, I haven't followed the comics in years (Superman & Batman were about it when I was a kid) and I don't have any knowledge of the Avengers or Thor. But this movie was really good at bringing me up to speed.

Odin and Thor are not gods, just aliens with great powers who have been mistaken for gods by Earth's ancient Nordic cultures. They live on Asgard, a realm in another part of the universe but they can travel to Earth and other parts of the galaxy over a Rainbow Bridge (Wormhole/Stargate).

Our story opens with scientist Jane Foster (Natalie Portman) studying strange atmospheric conditions in the desert of New Mexico, when some foggy turbulence causes them to hit a man from out of nowhere.

The man (Chris Hemsworth) staggers to his feet, speaking an ancient form of English and proclaims to be Thor and seems a bit delusional - as if he has some great power, which he doesn't. The scientists, Jane and Erik (Stellan Skarsgard) take him to a hospital and start their relationship with this strange man who fell from the sky.

Of course he trashes the hospital and escapes - being taken in by the ever curious Jane who is intrigued by how he came to be in that weather anomaly. Also, he is quite a specimen of a man.

Thor Shirtless Scene (It's in the contract)
    Thor 76013_gal

Thor and Jane become friends and he fills her in on who he is.

Thor with Jane on Earth
    Thor 76012_gal

In flashback to Asgard we get to see where Thor came from and how he came to land on Earth. Thor is the strong and arrogant fighter, oldest son of Odin (Anthony Hopkins).

Thor Kneeling Before Odin in Asgard
    Thor 76027_gal

His brother is the less impressive Loki (Tom Hiddleston - whom you know can't be trusted). There was an ancient war with the Ice Giants in another realm but the truce Odin made with them has been broken. Thor defies Odin's command not to pursue it and for his arrogance is banished to Earth - his powers removed.

Back on Earth, Thor is discovered by SHIELD Agent Coulson (Clark Gregg) who has confiscated all of Jane's data and equipment and has a research team surrounding Thor's hammer, which has been found in the desert and is unmovable (remember the last scene from Iron Man II?).

Thor & Agent Coulson
    Thor 76038_gal

Well, you know eventually Thor gets his power and hammer back, defends earth against giant laser-flashing robots, then goes to Asgard to keep the evil powers from destroying it.

This movie was fun - and Chris Hemsworth is a convincing Thor. (He is a galaxy away from Capt. George Kirk in Star Trek - hard to grasp that those two characters are actually the same guy). Those who are going to see this movie already know who you are and I think you will like it. I may be seeing it again.

Oh, this PG-13 movie is in 3-D but they are playing a 2-D version and that is the one I saw.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Thor Empty Re: Thor

Post by Tony Marino Sat May 07, 2011 11:22 am

Saw it last night Shale, I really enjoyed it!! Saw it in 3D.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Mon May 09, 2011 9:18 am

Hey, America, Would It Kill You to Go to the Movies?
    Sun., May. 8, 2011 1:04 PM PDT
    by Joal Ryan

Thor 300.Thor.tg.050511
    Zade Rosenthal / Marvel Studios

So, it's official: Thor's off to a blockbuster, $242 million-grossing start.

Thanks to the rest of the world.

What's America got against the Norse god of thunder?

RELATED: How did Thor's opening day stack up against Iron Man's?

It's nothing personal, probably. Just overall superhero fatigue, perhaps. As Exhibitor Relations box-office analyst Jeff Bock reminded, "This is the umpteenth superhero movie to open the summer season."

And so Thor's estimated $66 million weekend domestic debut was "decent," as Bock put it, but it wasn't anywhere near a record summer start. Not here, anyway.

Overall attendance, in fact, was at a five-year low for the summer kick-off weekend.

None of this likely matters to Thor, which opened May 1 overseas, and has already made back its reported $150 million budget—and more—from moviegoers outside the United States.

"The blockbuster mentality is hitting a peak over there," Bock said. "…The experience is much fresher."

So, pretty much Captain America doesn't have a thing to worry about.

Except maybe America…

Elsewhere, Fast Five took a dive, but only dropped one place in the standings, down to No. 2, and upped its domestic total to nearly $140 million.

The romantic comedies Jumping the Broom and Something Borrowed got off to nice-enough starts. And since we just called Something Borrowed's debut "nice enough," we should say the same of Mel Gibson's and Jodie Foster's The Beaver, which sold about as many tickets at each of its 22 theaters as the Kate Hudson flick did at each of its its 2,904. Overall, The Beaver grossed $104,000.

Jake Gyllenhaal's Source Code was out of the Top 10 after five weekends of struggle. The $32 million drama eked past $50 million domestically, and, per Box Office Mojo, was at about $91 million worldwide.

Here's a complete rundown of the top-grossing films, per Friday-Sunday numbers as compiled by Exhibitor Relations.

1. Thor, $66 million
    2. Fast Five, $32.5 million
    3. Jumping the Broom, $13.7 million
    4. Something Borrowed, $13.2 million
    5. Rio, $8.2 million
    6. Water for Elephants, $5.6 million
    7. Tyler Perry's Madea's Big Happy Family, $3.9 million
    8. Prom, $2.4 million
    9. Soul Surfer, $2.1 million
    10. Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil, $1.9 million

Read more: http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b240737_hey_america_would_it_kill_you_go_movies.html#ixzz1Lrvh6YVQ
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Mon May 09, 2011 10:11 am

Maybe if they lower the price of tickets more people would go.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Mon May 09, 2011 10:52 am

Tony Marino wrote:Saw it last night Shale, I really enjoyed it!! Saw it in 3D.

So did I & I LOVED it! I know it costs a little more but I recommend the 3D.

ETA: I forgot to say..stay through the credits!
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Mon May 09, 2011 10:54 am

CeCe wrote:
    Tony Marino wrote:Saw it last night Shale, I really enjoyed it!! Saw it in 3D.

I did stay through the credits CeCe did I miss something??
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Mon May 09, 2011 11:05 am

Tony Marino wrote:
    CeCe wrote:

There's a scene that I'm just assuming is from
    Spoiler:
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Mon May 09, 2011 11:12 am

CeCe wrote:
    Tony Marino wrote:

Spoiler:

Ah, I am not familiar with The Avengers or Ironman.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Mon May 09, 2011 11:19 am

Tony Marino wrote:
    CeCe wrote:

Spoiler:

The Avengers doesn't come out until May 2012 & will have just about everyone. Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, The Incredible Hulk...

oooo & someone apparently got that after the credits scene with their phone. It's very dark & I don't recommend watching it unless you've seen the movie because of a certain spoiler but here it is...
    Spoiler:
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Mon May 09, 2011 11:48 am

CeCe wrote:
    Tony Marino wrote:

The Avengers doesn't come out until May 2012 & will have just about everyone. Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, The Incredible Hulk...

oooo & someone apparently got that after the credits scene with their phone. It's very dark & I don't recommend watching it unless you've seen the movie because of a certain spoiler but here it is...
    Spoiler:

Wow I want to see it then!!! The guy in the vid with Samuel L Jackson was in Thor as well. In real life he is the father of Eric who plays on True Blood, the man has like 5 sons and they are all actors.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Wed May 11, 2011 12:12 pm

I really want to see this again.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 1:17 pm